Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #1
JonC

Default Licence Plate restoration

Any one done this, I have a set of 40 NYS worlds fair plates I would like to try this on. Can the letters and numbers be rolled on with a hard rubber roller or is there a better way, thanks
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Licence Plate restoration

Lots of info in the search section of forum, yes many have tried. I still paint the plate and had letter the numbers with model paint. ( pin strip people can do them in minutes!!! )
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
32phil

Prepare/prime etc. the plate.....mask the letters/numbers as best you can ....leave them a little "big".....paint the numbers./letters..very well...take off the tape and paint the background...you can mask the numbers/letters if you wish at least try to stay away from them when you spray....let everything dry for a few days( I used Krylon yellow & black for NYS 1932) use 600 paper and rubbing compound to expose the letters then clear I have done 6-7 sets like this and they still look great after 15 yrs....
Old 09-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Planojc

I use a roller from Hobby Lobby. I paint the background first, let dry, clear coat, let dry, then roll the letters and numbers. Clean up with q tip and turpentine. Adding the clear before rolling keeps the number color from getting onto the base color when you use the q tip when cleaning the edges. Be sure to use one shot sign paint. To load the roller. just pour a small amount of one shot on a piece of glass and roll the roller across it until the paint gets tacky on the roller, then you are ready to roll the plates. When dry, clear coat the plates.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
corvette8n

I bought a book on plate restoration, it says to paint the entire plate the color of the numbers, then mask the numbers, cut around the tape with a razor knife to get sharp lines, then paint the background color. BTW check the NYS DMV regs online, they don't like restored plates to be used as YOM plates.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
32phil

True ...in New York they don't like restored plates....I restored mine after the plates were registered....BTW...DON'T use BLECHE-WHITE white wall tire cleaner on those old plates.....that's kinda how I got into the plate restoration business.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
JonC

Interesting information guys. I think the roller is an option for me. I know NY is a pain on everything so i will register the truck with them this winter then try to restore them. Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
rotorwrench

A lot of licence plates were stamped by prisoners at the state penitentiarys. The plates were dipped in a dipping type enamel then force dried a lot like the car parts used to be for chassis & fender components back in the day. The numbers/letters were rolled with a paint the proper consistency (viscosity) for this task. The state could save a lot of funds using the assembly line technique with prison labor. It took them a long time to figure out that all they had to do was put a new sticker on there every year.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Interesting information guys. I think the roller is an option for me. I know NY is a pain on everything so i will register the truck with them this winter then try to restore them. Thanks
New York and California always try to out do each other with regressive laws and taxes.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
JonC

Careful, both states are monitoring as we type, they get the internet address and send swat teams scaling high walls (even if they have to build them) with high powered paint ball guns to mark you for further action, but don't tell anyone it's a secret.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
ct1932ford

I have done plates by priming after fixing any problems then paint the entire plate the color of the letters/numbers. You need to put on several good coats. When dry give them one coat of the background color. After a period of time take rubbing compound and rub the paint off the letters. It is tedious but the plated will look factory.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
JonC

I think that is a good way, I think I may try several ways on some old plates that I won't use and practice a bit. Thanks everyone
Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #13
Drbrown

Others here are pretty much correct re the non-use of restored plates for NY vehicle registration. Check Compiled Laws of NYS on-line re the use of "Vintage" YOM plates.

NYS does not allow (1) plastic covers, clear or tinted, over license plates, or (2) painting/restoration of an original YOM plate, because they consider it an "alteration" to a plate under the law. Their reason: (1) and (2) "upset" their computerized optical plate readers that are mounted on their police cars, and (2) invites alteration of a plate for criminal purposes. Under the laws, NYS also (tries to) limit where you can drive your vintage car to and from (shows, exhibits, repair shops, etc); not regular driving ! ! !

And now for something completely different despite what most NYS DMV staff/clerks may tell you, there is NO NYS LAW that limits the amount of annual mileage you may drive your car when using "Vintage" or NYS issued "Historic" plates. When pressed, they admit any such limitation is up to your insurance company. Good idea to check-in with ur company and confirm their response via email or letter. I keep a copy in my car.

Last edited by Drbrown; 09-25-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #14
4t8v8

I am so glad I live in free America. (The South). 20 years ago a state trooper pulled me over and gave me a 1948 Arkansas plate he and his son found while hunting in the woods. I asked him if I could restore it and put it on my F1 along with my regular antique vehicle plates. He laughed and said "Sure can. This is America!" Had it on for 20 years and no problems. I restored it with 3/8" and 1/4" key stock and a light hammer. Looks new.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
Planojc

If you talk to any of the folks that restore plates, and do a good job of it, you will find that they all roll the letters and numbers. BTW, I didn't learn the technique down at the big house, just many hours of trial and error.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #16
Cecil/WV

I painted the plate yellow, the color of the letters and the next day I painted the plate black with a spray bomb and after a few minutes of drying time, I used final wash on a rag on my finger and carefully wiped the black off the letters and it turned out really good.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote