Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Afordman31

Default Question on fan pulley

When replacing the fan pulley on the crankshaft there is a keyway inside the pulley and a notch. I first slid the pulley on using the keyway, tightened the bolt, rolled over the engine by hand and it seemed to hang up. Loosened the pulley and installed it using the notch in the pulley then could roll it over by hand with out it hanging up. Why does the pulley have a keyway and a notch?
This is confusing on which to use. This is on a 37 flathead in a 40 ford.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Question on fan pulley

Just removed and replaced the crank pulley and fan on my '41 because the pulley got put on without the Belleville washer to hold it in place. The fan pulled hard enough to slide the pulley forward on the crank snub, and the fan went into the radiator. With as much stress as fan, water pumps and generator put on that pulley, you must use the key. Mine went back on with no problem and turns freely. I am not sure why the notch is there, but it certainly isn't to fix the pulley to the crankshaft. Maybe someone can explain that for us. I happened to have a picture if pulley showing the keyway and notch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170610_078.jpg (50.1 KB, 34 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Just removed and replaced the crank pulley and fan on my '41 because the pulley got put on without the Belleville washer to hold it in place. The fan pulled hard enough to slide the pulley forward on the crank snub, and the fan went into the radiator. With as much stress as fan, water pumps and generator put on that pulley, you must use the key. Mine went back on with no problem and turns freely. I am not sure why the notch is there, but it certainly isn't to fix the pulley to the crankshaft. Maybe someone can explain that for us. I happened to have a picture if pulley showing the keyway and notch.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Does the old 37 21-stud have a later long snout crankshaft or does it still have the short snout crank? The two use different fans. The generator fan was used up through the 1939 standard vehicles. The 39 Deluxe had the fan on the crank and this was used thru somewhere in 1941.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote