Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
The Old Motor

Default Preserved Time Warp - Unrestored Two-Owner 36K Mile Early 29 with Wonderful Patina

Used to be a regular contributor here in the past, but after having found this beautifully preserved early '29 Sport Coupe three years ago, finally found the time to take some photos in the fall foliage recently.

It's a two-owner car bought new by a maiden children's nurse and school teacher. She had a garage built for it when she purchased it, and if it was going to rain, she would leave it there and walk to work and put it up on blocks in the winter.

She had it repainted by the Ford dealer before the war, and also had the front seat cushion covers replaced because mice got into them during the WWII years when it was up on blocks. It still has its original top and the balance of the upholstery and all of the original kick panels.

She sold it in 1957 when she was 80 years old with only 21,000 miles on it to a friend who was a 13-year-old car and antique enthusiast with the good sense to preserve it as is. He kept it and only put another 15,000 on it over the next 60 years until he died a few years ago.

I've carefully maintained as it is, it will not be restored at all, and is driven it only about 30 miles a year.

The timing and hand throttle levers are somewhat stiff but useable, although I haven't looked into the situation yet. What is the usual course of action to lubricate them and free them up?

Last edited by The Old Motor; 11-02-2021 at 04:40 PM.
The Old Motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Preserved Time Warp - Unrestored Two-Owner 36K Mile Early 29 with Wonderful Patin

Pease don’t touch it.

WOW! Looks great. I would love to see more pictures. Engine, front end, under carriage, more of interior, inside of top, better look at paint.

Wonderful car. You are very lucky. Keep it safe.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Default Re: Preserved Time Warp - Unrestored Two-Owner 36K Mile Early 29 with Wonderful Patin

She is gorgeous! You can try a little 3 in 1 oil on the rods-little. They are probably gummed up down inside the column.

Mike
Old 11-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
The Old Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Pease don’t touch it.

WOW! Looks great. I would love to see more pictures. Engine, front end, under carriage, more of interior, inside of top, better look at paint.

Wonderful car. You are very lucky. Keep it safe.
Thank you, have no plans to do anything to it other than regular maintenance, and waited years to be able to purchase it. Have been around pre-war cars since birth and have operated a restoration and old car machine shop for over forty years, and know how special cars like this are.

Last edited by The Old Motor; 11-02-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
Gene F

Nice car. Perhaps the steering wheel got painted and changed at some point, because I thought only the 28s had the dished wheel. This one is pained black.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
LeonardS

Very nice! Thanks for posting photos!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
Synchro909

What a beautiful car. This just shows that they are still out there - I only wish I could find one. Please, please, please, do no more than maintain it.
The widow of a friend of mine has a 1931 slant windshield for sale at the moment that has never been apart. A very original car he bought in the US and had the sense to leave alone. It is even still LHD. I am very impressed by the build quality that is apparent because it is so original.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
The Old Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Nice car. Perhaps the steering wheel got painted and changed at some point, because I thought only the 28s had the dished wheel. This one is pained black.
It's never been painted and the red ones were only used up until August of '28 when the change was made to black.

Last edited by The Old Motor; 11-02-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #9
McMimmcs

Glad to see the old girl is in good hands. Look after her. Congratulations, Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:42 AM   #10
lrf

Simply beautiful as is! LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:47 AM   #11
dean from bozeman

Thank you for these photos. And thank you in advance for any other photos that you might share with us in the future. I sure do hope that you will share more.

P.S. Really enjoy your website Theoldmotor.com, too.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:35 AM   #12
Patrick L.

What a nice car !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #13
77Birdman

I think the word 'patina' is over used in todays car world. It is justified with this car. Another current trend is to keep cars original. Not all cars should be left that way. Too many rust buckets with a worn out interior that people think are worth more because they are 'original condition'. Again, this car should be the standard for originality. I would not use it as a daily driver but I wouldnt have a problem driving it on a regular basis either. A couple hundred miles a year isnt going to hurt anything with this vehicle.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:46 AM   #14
bavArian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Motor View Post
I've carefully maintained as it is, it will not be restored at all, and is driven it only about 30 miles a year.

Beautiful car, as others have mentioned already, and definitely the right decision with this one. At this point it isn't just a car anymore, it's a moving piece of history that should be kept the way it is to give the coming generations a glimpse into the past.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #15
History

I would classify this one as a museum piece. I'd love to crawl all over it myself. The canvas top sure seems heavy duty compared to the non correct crap that is on mine. It almost looks like leather but I'm sure its not as it wouldn't work getting wet. That is a wonderful car!!!
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #16
Eccentric Old Guy

Looks like turn signals were added. No pic from the rear, but where are the turn signal lights on the front?
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #17
henry's 31

This is a jewel, please keep it as is. Thanks for the great photos. A great find, congratulations!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #18
katy

Beautiful car, what's under the seat?
Old 11-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #19
The Old Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
Looks like turn signals were added. No pic from the rear, but where are the turn signal lights on the front?
The parking lights in the headlights are used for the front directionals.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #20
ronn

you are only making one mistake...........driving it only 30 miles a year.

I suggest you splurge and drive it 100 miles a year! You will be invigorated.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote