Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
Hoop

Default Flatheads and Ford Barn - Really should read.

(From my post down the board.)

This is not intended to be unfriendly, angry, argumentative, exclusionary ... just a reflection of what the Ford Barn Early V8 site is supposed to be according to Ryan. If you do an internet search, you will have a hard time finding another high-quality Early Ford forum that welcomes performance FLATHEADS as well as original cars/engines.

The HAMB is a terrific site, and Ryan specifically welcomes post-flathead engine interests to that forum. He's pretty clear about this being a flathead site. ( ... many of us have interests way beyond flathead Fords, BUT this is about the intent of the forum and the group it's intended to serve, not about me, me, me ... )

Here are his words:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron
I just got an email explaining the intent of the NEW Ford barn. AS I understand it we can only discus STOCK Fords with NO modifications, as this would be a HotRod.
Hot cams, better ignitions, milled heads, etc is tabo. How about better breaks, radial tires.
So The New Ford Barn is for
restoration only?

That is not at all right... We aren't changing the direction of the Ford Barn. While the place focuses on early restoration stuff, we welcome Early Ford performance modification theories...

I think what you probably got was something related to the street rod forum being gone. The one change we have made... Stuff like putting a SBC in a '40 Ford won't be covered here.

So, are we cool? Any problems? This sound good?

Essentially, we don't want the content of the Ford Barn to change at all from what it was...

More ...

At the time, I was really worried about all of my buddies on the HAMB over running the joint with traditional hot rods and customs. You know, stuff like blown Cads, hemis, and Olds motors stuffed in early Fords. That kind of content is more appropriate for the HAMB.

... Hell, I have a '38 coupe with a 424-inch Reyher Morrison Small Block in it. Hot Rods are my deepest rooted passion.

However, early fords with traditional overheads like Cads, Olds, Chevs, etc... get more appropriate coverage on The Jalopy Journal. It's not a "can't we all get along deal" at all.

To me, it's more appropriate for the Ford Barn to focus on Ford only stuff. In the past, the Ford Barn has mostly covered early Ford restoration and performance improvements... There have been a few side bars here and there covering Hot Rodding and I think that's cool too. I'm sure there will be some overlap between the Ford Barn and The Jalopy Journal.

My goal here is to keep the Barn pure... as it has been... I don't want to change the content of this joint at all.

I do, however, have the HAMB/TJJ to contend with. See, the HAMB/TJJ is the largest hot rod publication in the world. Over 50,000 people view that site a day... and now that I own the Ford Barn (and especially now that it's public), many of these people are going to start checking out this site. My goal is to make sure this added traffic doesn't change the essence of the Ford Barn.

That's all.

Ron, you can post about anything you like. I know your history.
"Remember that when it comes to intelligence, half of all of us are below average."
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Flatheads and Ford Barn - Really should read.

Good post Hoop. I think there has been a lot of straying from the intent here.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
joel

Ditto, and I check the HAMB every day (almost) right after I read the Barn.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

The same for me,les
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Displayman

Both sites are a DAILY must for me!

Bob -Hampshire,Illinois
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
jimvette59

Thank you for both sites. I own Three OLD cars as my children call them. One is a totally restored 59 Corvette another is a unrestored late 31 ford deluxe tudor sedan and last is a 27 ford roadster HOT ROD with a 53 merc.flat head. I look at both sites daily. Thanks again. Diversified
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Django

If you go to the Jalopy Journal, you can read about Ryan's adventures rebuilding the Flatty in his '39 on a road trip to Santa Rosa in 10 days.

Part 1: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=10797

Part 2: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=10816

Part 3: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=10886
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Lyle

I am sorry if I have strayed off the intended topic of the Ford Barn.I have model T, model A and Flathead Cars.I mean to say All of them Have or are going to have Flatheads in them.Except the Picture of the Sport Coupe. That one is Stock and will remain so. It belongs to My wife. I gave it to her thinking to Install a Flathead and automatic. For her to drive She said no don't change it.So we are stuck with one 4 banger. Half a V8. Lyle
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Good post Hoop. I think there has been a lot of straying from the intent here.
I think if Ryan thought we were straying too much here, he would step in and say so. I enjoy reading 99% of what gets posted here. IMO, if you want/need a forum that is just about 100% stock Early Ford V8 Flathead restoration posting, then you may want to consider going to the EFV8C/A forum. I personally do not believe the posts on this forum are straying any more than they did on the previous Fordbarn prior to Ryan taking over. This may just be my opinion.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
hbleadsled

JM 35 Sedan, I agree with you , if a post is made on this made site such as to sell something a member just points the way to the correct site, with out making a big deal out it .( most of time anyway) Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
FL&WVMIKE

JM 35 Sedan .....................
I think that you are 100% correct ! If we were straying too far off the choosen path, Ryan would step in and straighten us out. We don't try to cover putting a SBC in one of our cars here.
On the "A" Model section, a member sent in photos from E-bay of a "time capsul" 1950 high schooler's "Hot Rod". It is a very nice original car, but has a 60 H/P F/H engine, red vinyl seat covers and 1937 Pontiac tail-lights, all installed back in about 1950. The car had been stored for over fifty years !
Anyway, a self appointed "Fordbarn Policeman" complained that it should not be there.
Let's let Ryan do the policing.
If you want to see this very interesting "A" Model, go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1928-...item564174fd35

MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 12-17-2010 at 01:58 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Hoop

First of all, I'm not the Ford Barn police so you can knock that off. I posted a reminder of what this forum was intended to be .... by the guy who paid money for it and laid down the rules.

How many times does he have to "step in" here and do "policing?" Because guys want to ignore what he said? That's one reason Shelly got out of this ... too much "stepping in" and "policing." Guys did not know how to respect her requests and stay within the rules of the forum.

"IMO, if you want/need a forum that is just about 100% stock Early Ford V8 Flathead restoration posting, then you may want to consider going to the EFV8C/A forum." I certainly agree, BUT where in my post or my copy of Ryan's post does it say this site was to be only for "100% Stock" anything? Read it again. And, it takes balls for the guys who support those who are not intended to post here to tell the flathead guys to "consider" going to another forum.

Do you really think it's OK with Ryan because he hasn't "stepped in?"

Amazing logic.

What's wrong with respecting what the man set up here?

Last edited by Hoop; 12-17-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
George/Maine

I guess you are the acking jack today.Sure sound like a cop to me.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Don W/Norfolk

As the Bard once said, "Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing!" As daylight dwindles, we are often left with too much time on our hands with nothing much to do except think 'bout things. This is one of those things that doesn't deserve much time.
Next.
dw
Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
BUBBAS IGNITION

I like many of the others do both sites each and every day , multiple times.
Keep it up, i dont see any problems with either one........
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W/Norfolk View Post
As the Bard once said, "Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing!" As daylight dwindles, we are often left with too much time on our hands with nothing much to do except think 'bout things. This is one of those things that doesn't deserve much time.
Next.
dw
Well said.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
Ol' Ron

I really like this site.
Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
Roger W Gerow

I started out visiting Fordbarn several years ago when Shelly had it. About a year ago started visiting the HAMB site. Enjoy them both, but always visit the BARN first.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
FL&WVMIKE

HOOP ......................
You were not the "Fordbarn Policeman", who stated that the 1928 Ford Phaeton should not be on Fordbarn.
I think that all "A" Model people would enjoy seeing that phaeton. I bet that you did too ! Merry Christmas, you ole W.Va, hill-billy !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
Lenney

I come to this forum to learn about old Fords the way Henry built them. I also come here to learn about the flathead V-8 and what makes them run and what makes them run better.... I don't want to know how to put a sbf or sbc were a flathead use to be, I can go to the hamb for that...
Lenney is offline   Reply With Quote