Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Carb Guy

Default Zenith Float setting

Rex Reheis as to how to set the float height on the Zenith carb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 Easter lilly 036.jpg (41.2 KB, 371 views)
Carb Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
ericr

Default Re: Zenith Float setting

we just had a thread on this but any information about this process is worth having. Should I assume you think this is a better method than the plastic tube method?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
newshirt

What book is this excerpt taken from?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
GrandpasA

if its off what happens? meaning if the gap is greater or less then the 1 1 /32 they say..
GrandpasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
What book is this excerpt taken from?
Ray,

Book is "Carb Rebuilding the Rex Reheis Way by Gordon Biggar and Rex.

Has section on Model B carbs also. Gordon discovered an error in the B carb exploded diagram that went un-noticed for many years. George De Angleis corrected the error in the drawing in this book before publication.

Bert's has the book in stock usually.

Last edited by Benson; 07-31-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Carb Guy

I use this method to set the float height on all the carbs that I rebuild. I have been rebuilding carbs for many years and it seems to work real well. I road test all of the units I rebuld and it seems to work well on the stopping problem and stalling . it takes different thickness gaskets to end up at the right height.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Carb Guy,

FWIW:

It appears to me that if one is ever interested in a "100% total" Model A/B cast iron Zenith carburetor rebuild, & can only afford to buy one book, I am sure many would agree that this is the one (1) book to purchase; however, that is not to imply that other books are not helpful, because one can learn lots from the other books written in a different format.

Agree that Mr. Rex dedicated most of his life rebuilding carburetors & he most graciously shared all of his years of personal experience with the author Mr. Biggar.

On the other hand, it is most noticeable that the author, Mr. Biggar, was not some salesperson just interested in selling a carburetor book ...... Mr. Biggar put his heart & soul into providing diagrams, photos, & adding carefully written details on restoring Model A & B carburetors, to earnestly try to keep alive all of Mr. Rex's detailed carburetor knowledge while additionally showing Mr. Rex's homemade tools & methods to accomplish same.

I found the most amazing part of the book was Mr. Biggar's unique ability to provide such technical carburetor details in plain language that all Model A owners could understand -- so few authors of technical books have the desire to do so & the ability to explain such technical matters in simple language.

No doubt, restoring Model A & B carburetors requires "precision" work if one desires optimum vehicle performance, which in the long run, can save lots of cash at today's gas prices.

"Every" single sentence & paragraph in the technical rebuild sections of this book is very important.

If one gets this book, it may be a good idea to get a yellow marker to highlight sentences & paragraphs one thinks he/she will need to refer to at a later date.

My book has lots of highlighted sentences.

Just hope this can help somebody choose a book in trying to remedy engine problems related to carburetor malfunction and/or problems related to lean or rich fuel consumption.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Carb Guy

Thanks H.L. . An excellent run down on Rex and His book. I agree with everything you have said About this book and I have gained a ton of knowledge from it.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpasA View Post
if its off what happens? meaning if the gap is greater or less then the 1 1 /32 they say..
I set mine the Rex Rehies way as pictured in post #1 . I don't even bother with measurements. I'm so use to this setting that I don't need to actually measure. Its kinda like a musical instrument. If you know how to play it, you can play what ever you want without having to read music. To answer your question, if the float is too low the engine will starve for fuel and will pop and backfire when attempting to accellerate. Otherwise it will still crank and run ok. If the float is set the least bit too high, it may or probably will leak and will stall when coming to a stop. In other words, it needs to look like the picture in post number 1. I hope this helps.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
JOES31

I set mine according to the information in Les Andrews book. It leaked from the atmospheric vent. I lowered the float to what I thought was too low. It worked perfect and actually is set aft of parallel exactly as in the Picture posted in the first post.

Last edited by JOES31; 08-02-2014 at 10:43 PM.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote