Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
40ford

Default Drake Sale:

Bob Drake has got a pretty good sale going on for trucks and cars if anyone interested.
https://www.bobdrake.com/hotbuys?Id=...s-email-banner
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Automotive Stud

Default Re: Drake Sale:

If only they had anything in stock...
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
cas3

seems to have flat out quit making some of his better stuff too
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
woodiewagon46

What's the use of having a sale, if everything is on backorder?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
What's the use of having a sale, if everything is on backorder?
Rhetorically I must ask: "Have you never dealt with Bob before?"
Old 02-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
philipswanson

What you need is NOT on sale. Just a few items that don't move. He is clearing out some of the inventory that doesn't sell.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 PM   #7
woodiewagon46

Kube, I have dealt with Drake even when he was located in California. I was one of the "suckers" to fall for his early catalog. Basically a fancy ring binder that you were SUPPOSED to get refills and updates regularly. I gave up several years ago when I tried to order about a dozen items and most were out of stock and a couple of the parts that he did send were junk. Drake was very good at one time, but that was long ago.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
Kube, I have dealt with Drake even when he was located in California. I was one of the "suckers" to fall for his early catalog. Basically a fancy ring binder that you were SUPPOSED to get refills and updates regularly. I gave up several years ago when I tried to order about a dozen items and most were out of stock and a couple of the parts that he did send were junk. Drake was very good at one time, but that was long ago.
I knew you were a fan. That's why I'd asked "rhetorically".
I agree with you that at one time he was very good. Then something happened. My guess? Simply - greed took over. Sorry Bob (if you're watching) but "I calls em like I sees em".
Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #9
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I knew you were a fan. That's why I'd asked "rhetorically".
I agree with you that at one time he was very good. Then something happened. My guess? Simply - greed took over. Sorry Bob (if you're watching) but "I calls em like I sees em".
I have to say whether you like his business practices or hate them, Bob Drake as well as others such as Dennis Carpenter have supported both the Early Ford V-8 Club and the hobby as a whole for MANY MANY years. If these suppliers all closed up tomorrow we would all be scrambling. We are in a very Niche market, and while to the end user some practices may seem out of line (I.E. Out of Stock items for long periods), I can very easily understand the reasoning.

Last edited by 35fordtn; 02-13-2020 at 08:30 PM.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
I have to say whether you like his business practices or hate them, Bob Drake as well as others such as Dennis Carpenter have supported both the Early Ford V-8 Club and the hobby as a whole for MANY MANY years. If these suppliers all closed up tomorrow we would all be scrambling. We are in a very Niche market, and while to the end user some practices may seem out of line (I.E. Out of Stock items for long periods), I can very easily understand the reasoning.
Business practices are one thing. Ethics, or the lack thereof are quite another.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #11
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

I guess that not as many early Fords are being bought and restored ( or rodded ) today as say 30-40 years ago. Those cars done then are not going to need major work or new parts for quite some time yet.
If I were Drake or Carpenter I'd be searching the country high and low for potentially worthwhile projects that can be bought back to life. They could have quite a secondary industry partly restoring them using their parts and expertise. IMHO.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
v8fordman

As a matter of opinion, you guys better pay close attention when Dennis Carpenter (the man) passes on. His son, Danny already owns the business and from what I hear has very little interest in early Fords. He's all about Mustangs and later Fords. As I have said in the past, before you criticize these guys, you need to make a part and sell it. You will have a greater appreciation for what they do for this hobby...
I don't agree with the business practice of back ordering, but we are sunk if these guys stop reproducing parts. Don't complain about the practice...don't buy from him.
v8fordman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
DavidG

Having been in the hobby for more than sixty years, I have seen it go through many phases, but without the likes of Dennis and Bob, we'd be in pretty bad shape. Sure, not every last thing they've offered has been up to snuff and perpetually having long-lasting holes in their inventories is a reputation killer, but their good stuff has been a boon to the hobby and I'm a customer of them both. As v8fordman implies, get what you need now as in the not too distance future, both Bob and Dennis will be gone and their heirs have a very different view of where their future business lies. If you think the demise of LeBaron Bonney is an isolated instance, your tea leaves are misleading you.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #14
koates

A little birdie informed me that Bob Drake is having sales before eventually closing up shop. Is this true or false ? Better buy up what you can get now. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #15
Ron Pilger

The never-ending/on-going criticism of people and visionaries who have allowed our restoration hobby to be a reality is excruciatingly painful to me. When I think of the investment that the NORS manufactures have in dies, design, sourcing factories, in warehousing parts that may or may not sell, in building user-friendly websites, in printing catafalques, attending trade shows, training staff and on and on, i think it's ludicrous and irresponsible to constantly bitch and moan about somewhat inferior quality and parts being out of stock and other typical daily ranting. Be appreciative of the availability, and accessibility, even if perfection isn't a perfect batting average. Or go restore a Durant, or a Studebaker, or a Packard.....
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Having been in the hobby for more than sixty years, I have seen it go through many phases, but without the likes of Dennis and Bob, we'd be in pretty bad shape. Sure, not every last thing they've offered has been up to snuff and perpetually having long-lasting holes in their inventories is a reputation killer, but their good stuff has been a boon to the hobby and I'm a customer of them both. As v8fordman implies, get what you need now as in the not too distance future, both Bob and Dennis will be gone and their heirs have a very different view of where their future business lies. If you think the demise of LeBaron Bonney is an isolated instance, your tea leaves are misleading you.
A very accurate assessment Dave. Going to a V-8 National Meet is a good indication of what is happening. Lots of old Dearborn type cars, but very few if any fresh restorations. As things stop selling the manufacturers must look at how many of the items they previously made will sell in the future. Is it worth making another run of an item or not? They have to make tough business decisions the consumer does not have to make. These guys have to make money to survive. As we look around these same guys we depend on are the same age that we are and maybe would like to retire. If their kids have no interest and no one wants to buy the company they have to close the doors. How many kids or grand kids want our old cars? Not many unfortunately. The hobby is not dying, but it is shrinking. I'm just happy that these vendors have been around as long as they have for us to enjoy the hobby.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #17
DavidG

Tom,

I find it fascinating that some seem to think that once a seller offers a product they are obliged to continue to offer that product in perpetuity and if they don't, they're "unethical". If you extend that thinking to its logical conclusion, it is evidently wrong that Ford no longer offers a full line of service parts for all of the cars and trucks that it has ever built going back to 1903.

Okay, the sellers should delete items from their catalogs when it is no longer offered and there are no plans to offer it again, but no where is it written that they have an obligation to go on offering everything that someone in the hobby needs.

Similarly, does anyone seriously think that holding inventory clearance sales is unethical, especially when they clearly state "while supplies last"? How about the annual inventory clearance sales by all of the modern car companies every summer clearing out the last of the current year's models? Are they unethical? I don't think so. They're just a normal part of the normal terms of doing business to generate at least enough income to sustain the business.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
Fordors

I couldn’t have said it better Ron Pilger. You assessment is right on, but too many find it easier to beef about not getting a part when they want it. Tooling up for something and then having it produced in an amount that makes it economical to both market and make a profit from seems simple until you try. Then when it goes into the dreaded out of stock situation the need to evaluate vendor quantity requirements versus how many might sell in the future comes into the picture all over again. Consider the number of Drake’s cataloged items and how you might keep everything on the shelf at all times, it’s an impossible task.
Reproduction parts are not like canned vegetables, to expect every item to be available all the time is unrealistic.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #19
35fordtn

To the original poster, thanks for posting this. I was able this morning to purchase closed car draft deflectors, Pickup Grille stainless, and a spare tire hold down, all for 50% off and all in stock.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilger View Post
The never-ending/on-going criticism of people and visionaries who have allowed our restoration hobby to be a reality is excruciatingly painful to me. When I think of the investment that the NORS manufactures have in dies, design, sourcing factories, in warehousing parts that may or may not sell, in building user-friendly websites, in printing catafalques, attending trade shows, training staff and on and on, i think it's ludicrous and irresponsible to constantly bitch and moan about somewhat inferior quality and parts being out of stock and other typical daily ranting. Be appreciative of the availability, and accessibility, even if perfection isn't a perfect batting average. Or go restore a Durant, or a Studebaker, or a Packard.....

Yeah, we'd all be in a world of hurt without a bunch of these parts. And some of these suppliers HAVE invested hugely. But the ones we're talking about ALL hung their shingle out long ago, and by doing so most have stated, or at least lead us to believe, that their parts and service are among the best. They all went through the years fundamentally implying that they strive to earn our trust in them and that their "stuff and their staff" are here for one reason only...to make us customers happy! But as time has gone-on, I haven't seen any of them making any honorable (or honest) announcements in their catalogs or advertising about cutting-back on quality of parts or service to customers. This is part of the "ethics" that Kube makes note of above, and on a regular basis. They (especially "B-O-B") continue to send the message that business is wonderful, and by stating that "stuff" is on back-order, would have one believe that a little patience will have boatloads of the new stuff arriving in the warehouse any moment.

Funny that you should mention....."I think it's ludicrous and irresponsible to constantly bitch and moan about somewhat inferior quality and parts being out of stock and other typical daily ranting". Would you not bitch and moan about your dentist (who hung his shingle out years ago) if he began to cut-back on his quality of service by giving you a shot of whiskey instead of the proper pain deadener, just before yankin' that tooth out with a pair of Vise-Grips 'cuz the proper extraction tool broke, or maybe even filling your cavities with Bondo? If someone's organization expects customers to continue to be loyal, especially if changes are on the horizon, at the least be open and honest with those customers that have made the entity such a huge success over the years. Loyalty, trust and expectations should ethically work both ways. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote