Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Gene F

Default Back-up Lights 1957 Ford

I have a skyliner, and the backup lights quit working. Does the little round switch on the column, on the outside of the firewall controll this finction and the neutral safety?

Which terminals do what? I've tried experimenting around with my volt meter, and continuity tester and can't seem to figure it out.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Back-up Lights 1957 Ford

Yes, the switch you are describing is the neutral safety and backup light switch. It might be easier to use an ohm meter to check the switch because you don't need power to the switch with a ohm meter. Otherwise you have to have the ignition switch on to the BU lights and in the "Start" position to check the NS switch.

Ensure you have power to the switch. I believe there is a fuse on the BU light circuit.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Yes, The neutral safety switch at the base of the steering column also contains the backup light switch.
There are (4) wire terminals on the switch
The (2) bullet connector terminals are for the starter enable circuit.
The (2) spade connector terminals are for the backup lights
disconnect both wires to the spade terminals and touch them together. The backup lights should illuminate. If they dont, you have a dead circuit.
I do not believe there is a inline fuse for the backup light circuit on the '57 Ford but I could be wrong.
Also make sure the body ground at the taillights has continuity using an ohmmeter.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Gerry

Also, a 1958 switch will allow the car to start in Park and neutral. Bolt in swap.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Gene F

Thanks, this info wil no doubt be a big help.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
Gene F

I replaced the light switch, and there must be a little overload in there, because now they work.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:49 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Gene ! It took you eight years to replace that switch???
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
58Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Gene ! It took you eight years to replace that switch???
Sometimes life gets in the way. I 'finished' my 58 Chevy in the early 90's. The car is the cheapest line in the wagon group, and didn't come with the interior light that comes on with door switches; it has the little switch on the dome light that is on/off.

When I did the car, I drilled holes in the jambs and installed switches, but never hooked up to any lights...until last week. I bought some small LED lights for under the dash, finally.
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:49 AM   #9
oldave57

Gene,

I'm glad to hear that you got your backup lights working. I also have a 57 Skyliner that I bought a couple of years ago. One of the things I had to work on was the backup lights that didn't work. I found that the original wiring to the neutral switch was broken (coming from the headlight switch to the neutral switch). It didn't seem quite right to me to have to have the lights on (parking or headlights) for the backup lights to work, so I added a switched wire from the ignition switch (also added an inline fuse just because) so now the backup lights work any time you put it in reverse. Just seemed like the right thing to do, but not the way Ford had originally wired things up.
Dave
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
dmsfrr

Yes, Ford wired power for the backup lights from the headlight switch until '58 or maybe '59, then changed it to the Acc position of the ignition switch.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
grumppyoldman

If you still need a wiring schematic, I got one from ClassicCar Wiring.com. It's laminated and in color. I like it. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #12
fordor41

My '60 Ford had back-up switch on the end of the column and back-up lights in the rear but no wiring between
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
grumppyoldman

Mine on my 55 don't work yet but now that I have the wiring diagrahm maybe I can fix them. The diagrahm also shows electric seat wiring and conv. wiring. Glad I got it. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

My back up Lights do not work also. My dimmer switch has a short in it. Today I am installing a new dimmer switch. I am on break now. Wife says I take to Manny breaks?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
poolplayer1

I don't have the same problem with my wagon but I do have a problem with it starting up on any gear. The other day I was working under the dash and had to move the shifter down to give me more room to fit in there.Well,after I got done under the dash,I went inside the house to eat some breakfast.When I got back to the wagon,I reached tru the window to turn the engine over and the darn thing started and moved some but I turned it off real fast.It scared the heck out of me. It was in drive mode and still started.
So, I think I am missing a neautral switch on the tranny or something. What do I need to fix this problem? I have a C4 automatic tranny.
If someone has a diagram of the wiring for this circuit,can you please post it here or send me a private mail. I need to fix this before I have a self driving car. Thanks.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #16
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
I don't have the same problem with my wagon but I do have a problem with it starting up on any gear. The other day I was working under the dash and had to move the shifter down to give me more room to fit in there.Well,after I got done under the dash,I went inside the house to eat some breakfast.When I got back to the wagon,I reached tru the window to turn the engine over and the darn thing started and moved some but I turned it off real fast.It scared the heck out of me. It was in drive mode and still started.
So, I think I am missing a neautral switch on the tranny or something. What do I need to fix this problem? I have a C4 automatic tranny.
If someone has a diagram of the wiring for this circuit,can you please post it here or send me a private mail. I need to fix this before I have a self driving car. Thanks.
You'll likely need a mounting bracket and NSS switch that match the (C4) transmission you have, if yours is missing.
Or, the mounting location may be on the steering column. (not familiar with the Wagons)

The neutral safety switch is placed into the wiring between the "Start" position of the key switch and the "S" terminal stud of the starter solenoid. That's the terminal that triggers the solenoid, powering the starter motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter-solenoid-wiring-diagram c.jpg (51.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Solenoid - 4 Terminal Wiring.jpg (178.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-16-2020 at 10:56 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #17
fordor41

most C-4 NSS's are mounted on the shift lever of the trans. should have 4 wires. 2 for neutral safety & 2 for back-up lights. meter should tell you which are which, of course 2 will have continuity only in reverse.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote