Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2015, 01:33 AM   #1
fiddlybits

Default Headlight reflector for H4?

Does anyone know if a headlight reflector exists that will take a H4 bulb and will fit inside the standard 28 headlight housing?
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:44 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Headlight reflector for H4?

I have seen the kits the vendors sell but not just the reflectors.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
Manager

You just get a h4 base out of something and put it in the stock reflector. It's not rocket science.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
updraught

So .... you've got the one filament two light rather than the two filament one light and you want to put a halogen H4 in it instead of the massive 32 CP which doesn't blind anyone when you can't dip it?

The only reflector that I know of that is optically correct is the Bob Drake early V8 (without a parking light) style reflectors and I gather they are plastic. Bob Drake doesn't seem keen to shrink them a bit for the A.

The 1933 model reflector is only 1/2 inch too big and my guess is ... it could be trimmed (only losing the cork holder on the edge) to fit the A. That would give you high and low beam.

Assuming the new LED H4's focus correctly, these would be ideal with the plastic reflectors as the heat build up should be lower.

This would at least give you light being thrown in the right direction and can be dipped. Should you wish to proceed with the experiment I'd be keen to know the outcome ...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

They sell reflectors that H4 bulbs fit in, but there is more than just putting a bright bulb in, a H4 bulb has the filaments arranged at different depths, original filaments are side by side, you can have very bright light that is not focused, the proper H4 reflector is shaped different and uses a different lens (I played some with reflectors made for h4(Mercedes)and original A lens
You can have very bright lights to look at from 10 feet in front of the car that are not very bright 200 feet down the road ( mismatch of bulb/ reflector/ lens)---and you an have lights that don't look that bright standing 10 feet in front of the car that project well 200 feet and more down the road
I get better light down the road with my 35 watt direct fit bulbs focused in original lens/ reflector than the 65 watt H4 in the Vintique plastic h4
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
....The only reflector that I know of that is optically correct is the Bob Drake early V8 (without a parking light) style reflectors and I gather they are plastic. Bob Drake doesn't seem keen to shrink them a bit for the A....
I have got to agree Drake's not being too keen on shrinking the reflectors for the A. If he did and added it to his catalog it would require a lot of changes to his catalog and be be the only part unique to the A that he sold. The A's are covered by the one from Bratton's for the stock bulbs.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
So .... you've got the one filament two light rather than the two filament one light and you want to put a halogen H4 in it instead of the massive 32 CP which doesn't blind anyone when you can't dip it?

The only reflector that I know of that is optically correct is the Bob Drake early V8 (without a parking light) style reflectors and I gather they are plastic. Bob Drake doesn't seem keen to shrink them a bit for the A.

The 1933 model reflector is only 1/2 inch too big and my guess is ... it could be trimmed (only losing the cork holder on the edge) to fit the A. That would give you high and low beam.

Assuming the new LED H4's focus correctly, these would be ideal with the plastic reflectors as the heat build up should be lower.

This would at least give you light being thrown in the right direction and can be dipped. Should you wish to proceed with the experiment I'd be keen to know the outcome ...
Good guess....but no. I actually have a 2 filament 1 bulb with no hi/low.

No...not the halogen. ....but a 6 volt LED bulb I've built on an H4 base. SLightly less power draw...LOTS more light. Now I need to focus it.

Guess I'll be walking aimlessly around the junk yard looking at reflectors to retro. ;-) (I'll check the Drake reflectors also)

Thanks all
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
CarlG

I bought the Halogen Kit from Mac's about 5 years ago. For me, it works great. YMMV (with Mac's and/or the kit.)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote