Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
fiddlybits

Default Looking for engine stand plans

Before I start cutting and welding...does anyone have plans for a engine / engine_transmission stand already on paper?

Specifically I'm looking for a roll around, supporting the engine at the four engine pan bolt points of the oil pan, not the engine mount points.

This would be more of a "storage" engine stand.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Dave in MN

Default Looking for engine stand plans

Although not metal, this stand has worked well for me over the years. Great storage stand...and cheap! Click the link to open the page showing photos and a parts list.
Good Day!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fenske Stand 1 pg.pdf (509.1 KB, 501 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-13-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Bob C

Default Re: Looking for engine stand plans

I built one like Dave's link and set in on a Harbor Freight dolly.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_22853.jpg (13.8 KB, 28 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Contact Will Cronkrite as he sells the plans to fabricate a stand that supports the engine off of the pan rails. I probably have 10-12 of his stands in my shop to store engines on.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Although not metal, this stand has worked well for me over the years. Great storage stand...and cheap! Click the link to open the page showing photos and a parts list.
Good Day!
This will work (in metal ) for the first phase. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Contact Will Cronkrite as he sells the plans to fabricate a stand that supports the engine off of the pan rails. I probably have 10-12 of his stands in my shop to store engines on.
photo?

Thanks for the contact.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlybits View Post
photo?

Thanks for the contact.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Restor...wc06%20003.jpg

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
sethkestenbaum

This post I made a while back has a picture of the wood stand and a cut sheet used to create it. I would imagine you could just add wheels or put it on a dolly. I hope it is helpful.

https://oldcarroadtrip.wordpress.com...ember-14-2014/
Old 03-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
gwhite

Not really a 'storage' stand - and it doesn't exactly conform to your requirements of support via the oil pan rail, but I'm in the process of building a run-in/test stand using a spare T frame and A cross member I had laying around. Basically, we used the front 42" of the T frame for the top piece (with an A cross member welded in) and the rear 42" of the T frame for the bottom perimeter. 1/8" 1x3 tubing forms the uprights, and we'll be welding 4" U channel onto the top of the frame rail for the 'ears' of the flywheel housing to rest upon. Total cost - $60 (materials and heavy-duty casters).

The A cross member allows for radiator mounting and we'll be fabricating a battery box, mounting a fuel tank, and adding a 'control panel' for temp, ammeter, fuel pressure gauge & pump, and oil pressure gauge. I figure this will allow initial run-in of my newly rebuilt engine and serve as an adjustment/tinkering stand if/when the motor ever needs to be pulled. I think the extra 8" or so of width are worth it to ensure that I can drop the pan if I need to....something to consider (and since I had most of the materials available, it was cheap)

Last edited by gwhite; 03-13-2015 at 04:52 PM.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
Tom Endy

attached are a couple of photos of an engine stand for a Model A engine several of us built. It is equipped with a water temp gauge, EGT gauge, tachometer, running time meter, and an ammeter for use when we choose to mount an alternator. the stand is set up for 12-volts to accommodate the gauges and indicator lights, ignition, and provides the ability to use a 12-volt battery.

Everything that is painted red is dedicated to the stand. The gas tank assembly mount and all the controls are attached to the two bolts that would normally mount the accelerator assembly on the back of the clutch housing. This is where the ground is picked up for all the gauges and the ignition. All the gauges are disconnected with a single cannon connector.

A couple of lessons learned over four different engines tested.

At 160 water temp and at 2000 RPM the EGT reading is 800 with the GAV open 1\2-3\4 turn. The water temp probe is in the water outlet hose with a 160 thermostat. The EGT gauge is located in the entrance to the muffler just below the manifold. The jets in the carburetor were properly flow tested and resized.

Close the GAV and the EGT goes to 1000. Run the RPM up to 2300 with the GAV back open and the EGT can go to 1200. The pistons and valves do not see these kinds of EGT temps as they are continually washed with fresh air and gas.

When the engine is removed the gas tank assemble is removed and set aside along with the dummy bell housing covering the flywheel. Everything else can remain in place except some of the accessories like carburetor and starter. An idler pulley is generally installed in place of an alternator.

There are several added features that may not be visible in the photos. There is a parking brake to prevent the stand from taking off down the road. The throttle control rod comes through the front panel of the gas tank mount. Spark advance is controlled by a wooden rod attached to the distributor to prevent tangling up with a spark pug lead. Instruction for the spark advance direction are posted near by. There is also a reproduction 12-volt ahooguh horn mounted to the stand to provide a warning blast for start up.

We did not generate any drawings either mechanical of electrical during the construction of the stand.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030106.jpg (68.9 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg P1030107.jpg (67.8 KB, 357 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
gwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
attached are a couple of photos of an engine stand for a Model A engine several of us built. It is equipped with a water temp gauge, EGT gauge, tachometer, running time meter, and an ammeter for use when we choose to mount an alternator. the stand is set up for 12-volts to accommodate the gauges and indicator lights, ignition, and provides the ability to use a 12-volt battery.

Everything that is painted red is dedicated to the stand. The gas tank assembly mount and all the controls are attached to the two bolts that would normally mount the accelerator assembly on the back of the clutch housing. This is where the ground is picked up for all the gauges and the ignition. All the gauges are disconnected with a single cannon connector.

A couple of lessons learned over four different engines tested.

At 160 water temp and at 2000 RPM the EGT reading is 800 with the GAV open 1\2-3\4 turn. The water temp probe is in the water outlet hose with a 160 thermostat. The EGT gauge is located in the entrance to the muffler just below the manifold. The jets in the carburetor were properly flow tested and resized.

Close the GAV and the EGT goes to 1000. Run the RPM up to 2300 with the GAV back open and the EGT can go to 1200. The pistons and valves do not see these kinds of EGT temps as they are continually washed with fresh air and gas.

When the engine is removed the gas tank assemble is removed and set aside along with the dummy bell housing covering the flywheel. Everything else can remain in place except some of the accessories like carburetor and starter. An idler pulley is generally installed in place of an alternator.

There are several added features that may not be visible in the photos. There is a parking brake to prevent the stand from taking off down the road. The throttle control rod comes through the front panel of the gas tank mount. Spark advance is controlled by a wooden rod attached to the distributor to prevent tangling up with a spark pug lead. Instruction for the spark advance direction are posted near by. There is also a reproduction 12-volt ahooguh horn mounted to the stand to provide a warning blast for start up.

We did not generate any drawings either mechanical of electrical during the construction of the stand.

Tom Endy
Very cool! Wish I would have seen that before I got started on mine
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Good Day!
Used you plans. Did the job. Took only 15 minutes to make. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
fiddlybits

Tom - awesome stand! a lot more than I need but that'should the best reason to build it.