Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Blue Coil for Transistor Ignition?

Is the Bosch coil correct for FSI distributor? Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Blue Coil for Transistor Ignition?

First Street Ignitions calls out their own coil as far as what they prefer but I don't know who makes them. They also sell Flame Thrower coils as well. Their unit seems to be based on the Pertronics system.

Bosch blue and silver coils are good for a standard point ignition system but I don't know about the Pertronics type systems.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I've used the Pertronix flame thrower three OHM coil on my 12 volt model A's for years with good service and more power that I can feel . The black flame thrower coil is rated at 40.000 volts . The blue coil is rated at only 35.000 volts . The flame thrower coil is black ,normal size and is advertised to put out 5000 out more volts than the blue coil . I haven't tried the blue coil but the black flamethrower coil looks just like other replacement coils but makes a noticeable improvement in quick starts and power . The flame thrower coil has worked well with original style points for me .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-24-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Fred A

I was asking about the blue coil because I have a couple of 30 year olds from my Porsche days. I must have burned up the FSI approved coil when the car stalled in my absence and cooked the whole thing. The woman at FSI talked me into a new module with the plate and all was wrong on arrival. She may have known less than I did about the product. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
I was asking about the blue coil because I have a couple of 30 year olds from my Porsche days. I must have burned up the FSI approved coil when the car stalled in my absence and cooked the whole thing. The woman at FSI talked me into a new module with the plate and all was wrong on arrival. She may have known less than I did about the product. Thanks: Fred A
By all means use the old ones. If you shake them and they make no oil noise, then they are paste filled and can be installed with the terminals down like orig. A coils. Test them for resistance with an ohm meter 1st. I use an old 12 volt blue paste filled. Supposedly no coils are made in the US or Germany any longer so quality may be suspect. Pertronix I believe are made in Mexico.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Pertronics systems have warnings about using the wrong coils in their instructions which generally suck. The basic systems used points type coils but you have to know what the recommended ohms reading for the primary is.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I use the three OHM version on twelve volt applications . The one point five coil is for six volt applications and if used with twelve volts will need a resistor at the coil connections .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote