Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
fiddlybits

Default I just hate new parts failures

Don't you just hate it when you preemptively replace a part so as to avoid a failure only to have the new part fail within 20 minutes?

Fired up the new engine and took it around the block. Re-torqued head and went to fire it up. Crank but no start.

Problem found - Armored ignition cable - internal wire a wee bit frayed so I replaced the entire assembly with a new reproduction. The new part will not play nice 100% of the time with the popout switch.

Finished disassembling and rebuilding the original last night with fine-wire, woven cloth over teflon covered wire.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: I just hate new parts failures

Just by sheer volume, there are some items that we cannot source in original and as such, are forced to use reproduction. We always try to use the absolute best quality reproduction part available, ...and even at that I would venture a close guess that we spend about 20% of the entire restoration labor reworking reproduction parts to either fit or work correctly. I think it is just part of the restoration process. At least we do have reproduction to fall back on.

Just for comparison, we are working on a 1927 Essex and a 1950 Volkswagen where correct reproduction parts are non-existent. In the case of the Essex we needed a complete wiring harness and all the wiring. Our best option was to order about $400 worth of cloth-braided wiring from Brillman and spend a day fabricating harnesses. Now that comes out to about $800 vs. $50 when you compare to a Model-A. Also had to fabricate new front hubs since there were none available. By the time we purchased the material and machined them, their costs is almost $1k for the pair. My point is be thankful that there are some parts that are available in reproduction for the Model-A, --and educate yourself on who manufactures the best of an item.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4950.jpg (34.6 KB, 62 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
mshmodela

Default Re: I just hate new parts failures

I can relate but am still happy some parts are being made... I myself am in the process of installing new shocks on my 31' Tudor which had none when I purchased the car a year ago (yes I'm a newbie). The photo below and investigation with 2 highly recommended vendors had the same issue: cracks around the grease fitting... I had a choice of returning them and getting originals or fixing them. I chose to try some red Loctite (yes will take heat to remove the fittings if need be) and see... I figured, it's a $25/per link gamble and in the end as long as the fittings hold that's good enough... after all they will likely ooze grease around the seals sooner or later.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote