Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
BillEbob

Default CB radio question

[First off, I promise myself I will never, ever attempt to type in a (lengthy) thread again using my cell phone!! lol I was almost finished and the system 'burped' and I lost everything! Now on my desktop.]

My '31 Vicky is a 6 volt positive ground system. I can install a (modern) 12 volt CB using an inverter. That's not the problem. I know to insulate it from grounding on any metal (going to ground) in the car. I am running a separate ground wire from the inverter.

Antenna. Herein lies the problem. While I can insulate the bracketry for the antenna, the car in its entirety is "positive." How do I create a ground plane?

Touring groups may be spread out over 5 to 7 miles and I prefer not to have to relay up the line to the lead car, then have the response relayed back to me agin through the line.

As I see it, without being able to create a ground plane, I will have VERY limited range broadcasting the CB.

Okay you electrical "sparkles," what can I do??

Bill
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: CB radio question

The easiest solution that comes to mind is use a 5 watt handheld connected to the mobile antenna. Hang the radio on the windshield opening nut.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
BillEbob

I have been looking for an inexpensive DC/DC 6V to 12V isolated inverter -- this would solve my problem; unfortunately, those I've found are very expensive.

Anyone know of somewhere where this item can be purchased inexpensively?

Bill
Old 04-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

The low cost ones won't work with a grounded cb antenna. The $100 ones work fine. That is what our club members all use. The other option is a 12 motorbike battery. Charge it before each tour. There is a ton of info on this subject on the forum.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
P.S.

As a radio and RF engineer, I cringe at some of the CB setups I see in Model A's.

I was forced to acquire a CB for tours with one club, so I picked up one of those portable jumpstart boxes that has a sealed gel-cell inside and jumper cables, tire pump, cellphone USB charger, etc. Plugged the CB into the 12v outlet (cigarette lighter socket for those over 50), and used a bumper mounted antenna tuned for 1:1 SWR. That setup had the strongest signal in the group and I ended up being the relay for most longer distance traffic. The jumpbox battery has enough capacity to run the CB for a week or more on a single charge, so it wasn't an issue.

Even though we no longer have the CB, we still take the jumpbox along on tours because the wife really likes having the USB receptacle to charge her iPhone. I like having the tire pump!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Sumbody" I knew, had a tire pumper-upper that screwed into a SPARK PLUG HOLE! AND can be used to "back blow" a plugged up GAS LINE.---You could probably check the compression, with it, instead of buying a CHEEP Hand Held One!---NO, I'm NOT CHEEP, I buy Buster T. only the BEST PREMIUM DOG FOOD!
Bill Neverhadaflat
Old 04-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
BillEbob

Well Bill, that is at least a better answer than your earlier advice of 2 tin cans and a length of kite string❗

ROFL ��

Other Bill
Old 04-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
Bikerider58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEbob View Post
I have been looking for an inexpensive DC/DC 6V to 12V isolated inverter -- this would solve my problem; unfortunately, those I've found are very expensive.

Anyone know of somewhere where this item can be purchased inexpensively?

Bill
I got my 10A power supply from eBay, $30. Case is isolated so no issues mounting it. Separate-/+ in and out.
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote