Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
john charlton

Default Oil pump shroud

Finally got the swapmeet engine ,the one with the stuck head, running,all seems well. However when I was checking out the bottom end I noted there was no shroud on the oil pump . The pump was worn out so I put in a good used which did have the shroud. Afterwards the picture in the Service Bulletins came to mind so I out of curiosity I read the bulletin to find that I should not have fitted the shroud as it is intended for an oil pan where the dipper tray has been lowered 1/8" OOOPS !!!. Also a stern warning not to mix the parts. I run model B engines which all have the shroud also oddly enough the small bore AF engines that I have also have the shroud even one with the inspection plate in the pan bottom. Maybe these got the shroud earlier as they produce max power at 2600 RPM so needed this mod. to improve lubrication. Question is do I have to pull the pan to remove the shroud or will it be OK as is .I was a bit conscerned I could have unseated the dipper tray if the shroud bottom fouled the tray. I have done a dummy run with another pan and shroud and it looks as if they just may touch,DRAT !!! What do ye wise men in International Model A Land think ??? .

John in there was no weather today England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Roger V

Default Re: Oil pump shroud

I ran a shroud in a rebuilt A engine years ago when I didn't realize it was supposed to be correlated to the different windage tray. I "assume" it was the wrong or prior tray as I usaully don't have good luck. It was in there for 3000 miles and if it caused a problem I didn't see it. I did remove it when I had the pan off.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote