Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Bill Cala

Default Colors of Phaetons Part III

Thanks for all the replies. I have been asked to post both photos which I am doing below. So far, I have suggestions that the body color is Arabian Sand, Chicle Drab and Rose Beige. I'm sure it's one of them, but which one? Does anyone know the body color of the two Model A cars on the cover of the Antique Ford Repaint Manual (Ditzler)? I think they are the same color of the cars I'm posting.

Thanks again to all for your help!!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-Ford-Phaeton-001.jpg (108.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Tan 29 Phaeton.jpg (72.5 KB, 74 views)
Bill Cala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Big D

Default Re: Colors of Phaetons Part III

LOL--- SAME problem I had.. almost exact same color... ONE-- It's not Rose Beige ( I ordered a can and it's a Dark Brown color). It may be Arabian Sand.. The second color I ordered was Medium Cream, this was too light but a friend of mine has hand mixed it with about 1/8 or so Rose Beige and (guess I'm living better these days) got it to match perfect. I painted a piece of metal and plan on taking it to paint store and get it computer matched so I can get some more. If you can't find the color I will send you the match breakout or a piece of the metal plate to compare.

D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
henry494

Bill,
The Phaeton on the left with black wheels appears to be Arabian Sand Light, with Copra Drab moulding. The Phaeton on the right with orange wheels, that's a tough call. The body may be a color that someone mixed that's similar to Arabian Sand, but similar is as close as that got. The moulding on that Phaeton could be Seal Brown, but I won't bet any money on it.
There are many factors to consider. The photos themselves could easily change the actual color due to lighting conditions and camera settings when the photos were taken. The other factor is that paint jobbers will often mix colors to paint chips of many origins, such as the Ditzler book you reference, or many other sources. They may be accurate, they may not be. A good example are the Chicle and Copra Drabs in that Ditzler book. They are not accurate, and the "Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide" has the correct shades of Chicle and Copra. Other factors such as the lighting conditions the paint mixer was using, did the mixer or customer say, "Oh give it a little more of xxx," which could have changed the sahde a touch, and so on.

I didn't see your original post, so I don't know exactly what information you're seeking. So, my post is based just on your current post with the two Phaeton photos. If you're wanting the most accurate color chips, my suggestion would be to stick with the "Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide." All of those chips were derived from original chips.

Dave Lopes
henry494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
wrndln

I agree with Dave on the first picture. If the first picture is a 1928 phaeton and I think it is, and has an original color scheme, I believe it is Arabian Sand Light, with Copra Drab trim and French gray pin strip (I can’t see the pin strip very well). I painted my 28 special coupe Arabian Sand Dark as Arabian Sand Light was only used on roadsters and phaetons, according to the Model A Ford Paint & Finishing Guide. My car looks darker than the phaeton in the first picture.

The second picture looks like Rose Beige with Seal Brown trim and orange pin strip. These are an original 1929-paint scheme. I am pretty sure the second picture is a 1929 due to the fender-mounted taillight.

Hope this helps
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Bill Cala

Thanks to all. I think we have the mystery of the car with the black wheels solved. The 1929 with the orange wheels seems to be a puzzle. I don't think the body in the photo is dark enough to be Rose beige yet the rest of the combination seems to be correct. This vehicle is being sold in Oklahoma and the seller claims it is the original paint and the car has less than 6000 original miles (hard to believe). At any rate, I'm liking the Seal Brown trim better than the copra drab.

How big of a mistake am I making if I use Arabian Sand light and Seal Brown on my '29 Phaeton?

Thanks

Bill
Bill Cala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
MCHinson

I would need more information to believe the story on the 1929. If I am not mistaken, the top color is wrong also.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
wrndln

It is your car, so you can paint it like you want to, but if you paint it Arabian Sand Light with Seal Brown trim, it would not be original (as color schemes go) as Arabian Sand is a 28 color and Seal Brown is a 29 color. If you like the ASL and Seal Brown combo, do it.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
lindy williams

Bill, I believe the color of that car on the cover of the antique paint manual is "stone brown and deep stone gray, however cars I've seen painted that color appeared to be a little lighter shade.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
John LaVoy

The phaeton pictured here is Arabian Sand light.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote