Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #21
pinball73

Default Re: Noise in my ney 29 a engin

dennisklisen cam & crank gears are in real good shape & seem to mash together real nice & not much if any slack. the distributer gear is in real good shape & I replaced the intermediate gear that runs oil pump & distributer. I actually did not check end play on crank shaft because the main had good Babbitt on the thrust washer, seems as though I had just a bit of end play in the crankshaft as I was messing with the fly wheal, not much as I can remember!
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #22
pinball73

hay guys how do I post a picture on hear? I like you guys to see what I have been working on!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #23
pinball73

will get back at this tomorrow ! I just noticed it is past my bed time! thanks guys! later
Old 11-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #24
pinball73

Kohnke! just reading your post again & got too wondering? is there offset built into the rods? or is this just something too look for that could be wrong?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #25
100IH

The scoops on the rod caps need to have the open side face the camshaft. The caps should be matched to the rod by the stamped number, then the arrow on the piston, if there is one, points forward.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #26
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball73 View Post
hay guys how do I post a picture on hear? I like you guys to see what I have been working on!
To post pictures, click on the Go advanced box, then click on the paper clip icon and you're in business. Simple.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #27
pinball73

100ih! the pistons came from Snyder's & they had no marking on tem & the machine shop said that they would work either way! as for the rods & caps, I kept them together so I know that they match & I do have the dipper the right direction! I really think the GREMLINS have got me!
Old 11-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #28
Wm J.

Default Re: Noise in my new 29 a engin

Post number 10 reminded me of when I bought a new plunger and spring I had a knock as you do and found the new spring was very weak. Put an original spring in and the knock was gone. Just a thought as the new springs may be stronger today.
Wm J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #29
100IH

With no arrow indicating front, it might not matter. On the mod. A, many were slotted on one skirt, those had to have the skirt oriented correctly. I don't remember which way, but if the machinist installed the rings and piston and rod assemblies he no doubt was familiar with the issue. I must add that I agree with the post about not advancing the spark to the full stop position. I go with just enough advance to get satisfactory performance, more is not better, just hard on the crank & bearings.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #30
larrys40

pinball,

I see you're in northerm Missouri from your avarta. I'm down St. Louis way and I do Model A work. As Herm said it could be anything from a wrist pin to rod.... or something else internal. If there's someone near you that did the engine I would have them listen to it and see what their diagnosis was. Did they do the babbitt?
If you need additional help and diagnosis drop me a PM. We can chat and go from there.

Key at this point is carefull diagnosis without doing any further damage. Stuff happens so even with new pistons, etc things can go wrong. Good news is it can be fixed one way or another!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #31
700rpm

Do not run with your spark fully advanced. You do not need an auto advance. Find the sweet spot for your engine and learn to drive it as it was designed. Most times, if the car is timed right, your spark lever at about 9:00 should be fine for cruising.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #32
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
Did you check rods for twist, Bend, and Off Set?

How much does the wrist pins have, for clearance.

Herm.
That could be it.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #33
Railcarmover
BANNED

I've got a few questions...

how does a higher compression head alter the operation of a gyro style advance on the distributor shaft?

How can you effectively measure the optimum 10 degrees of timing for each 1000 rpm with a quadrant lever?

If too much timing advance causes center main bearing failure and the highest load on the engine is during acceleration how can you effectively advance the spark manually during acceleration without going into the 'danger' zone?

why did Ford immediately use mechanical flyweight timing advance in model B distributor along with the host of other design revisions with the model B?
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #34
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Kohnke! just reading your post again & got too wondering? is there offset built into the rods? or is this just something too look for that could be wrong?
No Mr. Pinball, there should be NO off set in the Rods.

Wrist pins should not have less then .000-03 to not over .000-50 tenths of a thousandths clearance.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #35
Barry B./ Ma.

I had one of those, after rebuilding everything sounded great but after 1000 miles it started to overheat going through the mountains then that little noise started , it seemed to go away under slight power and was most noticeable under no power or float. I changed a lot of stuff but never really found the source, I was left with the belief that it was the cam gear, had the engine apart and could see that the tops of a couple pistons had hit the gasket but after getting it back together the noise was still there, however the noise only started after the engine ran a mile or so so I left well enough alone and it never got any worse.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #36
pinball73

Barry B. if you ever find out what the problem is, please let me know! it sounds as though we have just about the same problem! the part that gets me is when I retard the spark the noise quiets down, almost goes away, not completely, but almost I get a bit of noise when I rev the engine, but not as loud as when at road speed
Old 11-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #37
pinball73

Kohnke wrist pins came new with pistons! put new wrist pin bushings in the rods & they were honed to very snug fit, I double checked the pin keepers to make certain they were locked in place!
Old 11-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #38
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
denniskliesen! they are a bit pricy but I was wondering if it would be worth the investment? I am running pretty much stock
From all the threads I've read the automatic timing advance works nicely.the only caveat is the curve isn't broad enough, easily solved by keeping your manual spark control hooked up but limited in travel to move the entire curve up and down with the lever.To set it up correctly requires peak advance timing,basically running the engine at high rpm and using a timing light and pointer to check that max advance does not exceed 30 degrees, then setting your lever limit to stop at that point..this allows you to retard the spark by hand if the condition requires it, yet never allow you to exceed max advance.

the benefit to automatic advance is correct timing during acceleration, a key to long center main bearing life...and instead of not being recommended, its a must for using a high compression head, due to the compression increase,the 'hammer effect' on the center main bearing during detonation caused by improper timing being greater than stock compression,higher compression accentuates the detonation effect.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #39
Simonpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I've got a few questions...

how does a higher compression head alter the operation of a gyro style advance on the distributor shaft?

How can you effectively measure the optimum 10 degrees of timing for each 1000 rpm with a quadrant lever?
Railcarmover, The head doesn't change the timing. The head changes the engine's need for certain timing. Generally, higher compression causes higher peak temp on compression just before ignition. This causes a faster burn, so the engine needs less ignition advance. A similar effect can happen with a cam, manifold, or exhaust change. Different cylinder filling at different rpm's makes the burn rate different, so different ignition timing may be needed.

The only way I know to measure a bob weight type advance at different rpm's is with a tachometer and a timing light.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #40
harryc

I don't know if anybody mentioned it but it could be a loose timing gear--loose on the cam. I once had a knock that was driving me crazy and even though I was sure the timing gear was tight when I checked it I found it loose. When I tightened it and center punched the nut to make sure it wouldn't loosen the knock was gone. And in my case it only knocked after the engine had warmed.
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote