Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2015, 01:49 AM   #141
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Will all Veterans please arise.

Oh yeah, I know all about rights of everyone to express themselves. We were allowed to come on base in civilian clothes and then change to avoid being called baby killers and being spit at if we had to stop for gas or something. I was in during a very unpopular time to be in the service.( 70-76). I agree people have all kinds of opinions on any given subject and it is good to hear them, as it tells you a lot about them.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #142
Alaska Jim

I agree.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 AM   #143
Hoop

First of all, this is a Ford flathead forum. It's purpose is to discuss ... Ford flatheads.

Now we want to split the Fordbarn into different classes of members, those who served and are a "notch above" ... and those who didn't.

That will help us discuss flatheads better.

Funny how quickly some of us can take the good we did and turn it into division and hostility.

Sorry I mentioned it ... but, it's still a bad idea.

(I served and would have done it for free, but they said it would be unAmerican not to take the money.)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #144
Pete pa

Drafted US Army rank E-4 3/4/70 honorably discharged 11/3/71
Pete pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #145
Merc Cruzer

US Army drafted Sgt 4th Inf Nam 68'-69'
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #146
34pickup

You guys are verging on getting this thread shut down. Remember, Ryan states there will be no politics discussed here. And some comments sounds a lot like politics to me.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #147
TStiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
You guys are verging on getting this thread shut down. Remember, Ryan states there will be no politics discussed here. And some comments sounds a lot like politics to me.
Can't imagine how I could interpret the comments on this thread as political. Patriotic, yes; political, no. Acknowledging someone for their military contribution to this country out of respect is certainly not political. Nor is any member of the barn stating the years they served our country a political announcement.

It's interesting to me just how many of us Barners are former military. It must have something to do with the typical age of the guys interested in flatheads and flathead-powered rigs. I believe this common thread is one of the many contributors to the civility and sense of camaraderie that are so prevalent on the Barn. 'Proud to be a member.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #148
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
First of all, this is a Ford flathead forum. It's purpose is to discuss ... Ford flatheads.

Now we want to split the Fordbarn into different classes of members, those who served and are a "notch above" ... and those who didn't.

That will help us discuss flatheads better.

Funny how quickly some of us can take the good we did and turn it into division and hostility.

Sorry I mentioned it ... but, it's still a bad idea.

(I served and would have done it for free, but they said it would be unAmerican not to take the money.)

Good for you, Hoop!....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #149
ford38v8

Since I was the guy who made the suggestion of an optional service badge, I should point out that there are more badges than just military. There are Firefighter and Law Enforcement badges, EMT, and if somebody isn't proud of having served, or wants to forget about it, of course that's the choice they make.

I did not receive a PM back from Ryan, so I have no idea how he feels about it, but for a respectful discussion of what could have turned brutal, I think everyone is on the same page here, which pretty much is an indication of the respect the question deserves. The badges pictured below (There are more) are a little bigger than what is used on the other forum I post on, and it is attached at the bottom left, below the avatar, so folks can get a handle on you beyond your general location.
Attached Images
File Type: png navy.png (6.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: png firefighter.png (3.4 KB, 277 views)
File Type: png army.png (5.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: png coast_guard.png (4.1 KB, 277 views)
File Type: png marines.png (5.1 KB, 279 views)
File Type: png ems.png (2.5 KB, 276 views)
File Type: png air_force.png (4.9 KB, 278 views)
Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #150
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Since I was the guy who made the suggestion of an optional service badge, I should point out that there are more badges than just military. There are Firefighter and Law Enforcement badges, EMT, and if somebody isn't proud of having served, or wants to forget about it, of course that's the choice they make.

I did not receive a PM back from Ryan, so I have no idea how he feels about it, but for a respectful discussion of what could have turned brutal, I think everyone is on the same page here, which pretty much is an indication of the respect the question deserves. The badges pictured below (There are more) are a little bigger than what is used on the other forum I post on, and it is attached at the bottom left, below the avatar, so folks can get a handle on you beyond your general location.

The only badge that should matter on this forum is the Classic Ford V8 logo -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0006.jpg (10.5 KB, 7 views)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 11-14-2015 at 05:22 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #151
Lawson Cox

What about the "Ruptured Duck", that was issued to a GI who was honorably discharged after WWII. After all, we are honoring Veterans, not V8s.

Sorry. I cannot post a photo. Look it up on Google if you don't know what it looks like.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 11-14-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #152
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
The only badge that should matter on this forum is this one - V8
V8 = Vegetable Juice
Why would that be the only badge that matters here on an early Ford discussion forum?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #153
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
What about the "Ruptured Duck", that was issued to a GI who was honorably discharged after WWII. After all, we are honoring Veterans, not V8s.

Sorry. I cannot post a photo. Look it up on Google if you don't know what it looks like.
Here you go Lawson. I still have my uncles WWII uniform with that honorable discharge pin attached. I was not sure what that pin represented until I looked this up on Google. Thank you! Learned something new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1541_1k.jpeg (35.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg ruptured duck 67.jpeg (24.7 KB, 6 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #154
jimTN

USAQMC 2lt to Capt, USASAHQ Pac, Helemano, HA, 65-68, 9th Log Cmd, Korat Thailand 68-69, Instructer, Ft Benning GA 70. back on AD in 92 with 416 ENGCMD, Chicago, IL and 4th Army HQ, Ft Sheridan, IL then to 8th Army HQ. Korea 88-89 and USARC in Forest Park GA 91. Retired as a COL and most have figured I was a REMF on my assignments.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #155
NormC

Prof Henry,
Thank you very much for your attempt to recognize the Veterans on this site. As it appears, most of the Veterans served when our society had little regard for those who served. The locale of my duty locations loathed those in military uniform as well. Today, our country as a whole honors those who have served and are serving. Thank you again for recognizing our Veterans. Your Thank You is greatly appreciated! And I thank all those who served before me and after me!

Norm
NormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #156
Old Henry

Why do I suggest that veterans are a "notch above the rest of us"? I'm not a veteran so they are a notch above me. Here's why I say that.

We all have a job that serves someone. Often it seems that it is just our employer and the owners/stockholders of our employer. Usually we are also serving members of the public in some direct or indirect way. That's how most of our jobs are. I'm not suggesting that everyone employed by one of the branches of the armed forces thought every moment about the higher, patriotic cause in which they were involved. Many probably just thought that they were "just doing their job" like anyone else. But, who were they serving when they were "just doing their job"? Sure, they were contributing to whatever goals their unit or branch of the service had. But, ultimately, when all is said and done, they were all serving humanity as a whole and the cause of preserving freedom in the world for that humanity. To, me, who did not so serve, that is a higher level of service than anyone not a veteran has ever given. Whether every veteran who served thought about that higher cause every day doesn't matter. They did it. And, for that, I am eternally grateful and will honor them in my heart always. Yes, even Hoop, who doesn't really care about that honor. The story of "Saving Private Ryan" comes to mind as an illustration of how every veteran, in their own little job, helped save some private or public Ryan somewhere, including me. I salute you.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-14-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #157
Ol' Ron

Several years ago, an older man thanked me for my service. He had a tear in his eye as he said. I tried to join, but I was 4F." I too had a tear in y eye, a good man.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:36 AM   #158
Hoop

"Yes, even Hoop, who doesn't really care about that honor."

Where did you get that idea???? Please do not speak for me.

There are only a few of you that get it. Using military service to create a separate, "elite" group here on the Fordbarn is not an honor.

Answering to role call on Veterans Day here recognizes our vets and is entirely appropriate. We don't need a permanent "button" to separate Fordbarn into "us" and "them."

I did not serve to shine my own ass ... or to make myself a notch above. I always had the impression that I was doing it for someone else.

Military SERVICE, to me, means serving others, all Americans ... not serving myself.

Unifying America is a serious challenge. Start here.

Last edited by Hoop; 11-15-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #159
Joe777

USAF 1986-1992. KC-135(A model) and KC-10 pilot. It wasn't just a job, it was an adventure!
Joe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #160
moefuzz

Hi,
I am only an expat by birthright,
My father took his basic training in Louisiana and served as a medic in WWll .

As a Canadian,

I am Humbled to be in Your Presence,

Thank You for everything that you (as a US citizen) have done for us, for all of us, in the name of Democracy.

There are no words that can begin to describe mine, nor my countries gratitude for the decades of
un-righteous physical and mental abuse that you and your country have taken upon themselves in the name of
Democracy.

For Others,
For Righteousness,
For Democracy.....

Thank You.

moe

moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote