Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #401
woofa.express

Unhappy Re: tell a Model A related story

What has gone wrong.

I have spent considerable time this morning writing a story about my friend Dave who crashed his cropduster only yesterday. I copied a picture from the news paper but can't get it to paste. I have tried many things to have it work, but no. print screen then copy. No. Send as an email to myself then copy and cut but no. it will copy to another word document yes but still won't paste to this forum. I have removed the newspaper article and picture and tried all of the above and no. I do reckon if I was to retype it on a new sheet or directly to this forum it would work but that will now have to be tomorrow.
I am open to ideas.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #402
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Engine failure in flight.

Yes I know what they are like as I have experienced many. I went down maybe 4 times with fuel starvation not to be confused with fuel exhaustion. Many times with magneto or lead problems when I lost substantial power. Twice where the engine self destructed, once damaging the aeroplane where it required a rebuild and I guess there were other times for other reasons. The main reason is we were using very old engines that had been rebuilt many times over many years.
The oddest engine partial failure was the R985. Yes. Quite a number of times. I could never figure out why. What would happen is the engine would move on the mount telling me something was failing. This gave about 20 seconds warning then it would lose almost all power.This 20 seconds gave me sufficient time to set up for a paddock or road landing. Then I could takeoff immediately and resume the job. Quite silly isn’t it. We pulled the engine and it was reported one ignition lead was damaged and the spark would jump into other leads. It looks likely I had damaged it in the reassembly following a mag change. It would have been easy to rectify had I known.
What has made me bring this story is my friend Dave from Dalby crashed yesterday. Engine failure in a P&W 1340. Too early to know what component failed but when the engine gets pulled down it will be apparent.
I have been to Wikipedia and found some 35,000 of these Pratt and Whitney engines were built. That includes the smaller R985 which is a sweet engine. What we are using these days was manufactured in the 20’s through to ’53, mostly in war time.That makes the newest engine 65 years old. I sat behind these engines for 16 years.When I was operating the purchase price for an overhauled R1340 engine was 20k USD and is now 64k. They have a time before overhaul of 1,100 hours but you could sometimes get more if you cribbed your flight times.
I have been to the internet for the price of a garden variety PT 6 gas turbine, the popular engine today, but can’t find a new price. There are deals everywhere and no one wants to reveal their price. But I see the cost of overhaul is 265K and the life, in an agricultural aeroplane, can run as high as 8000 hours. They burn more gas, do more work and are, with exception, totally reliable. However it is beyond many operators financial means to afford one. It is difficult now because operating costs for ag operators is rising and the market, (farming industry) is financially declining. Well that’s in Australia anyway. Unlike other countries we are not subsidised but for one exception. Limited subsidy for transport of fodder during declared drought.
Yes I do go on about farming and farmers don’t I. These are the people who grow the food that is put on our dining tables. They are a tiny minority of our population and are treated poorly by governments and largely unrecognised by the public. Economically important and politically insignificant.
Well back to my friend Dave who crashed yesterday in his radial powered ag plane. He is an operator on the Darling Downs in Queensland. The regions agriculture is totally dependant on rainfall. It is described as a feast or famine farming area. That’s why he is not operating a turbine aeroplane. Dave is 78 years old and was flying as a teenager. I too was flying as a teenager and thought I was doing well at 71. I congratulate you Dave and admire you but I am capitulating to you.
Well Dave climbed out of the wreckage, walked to a road and was given a ride to hospital and had a finger stitched up then went home.
The newspaper has a photograph of the wreckage but no matter how I tried I was unable to copy the picture.

Enjoy your breakfast and think of the farmers and cropdusters who made eating good food possible.

The 1340 powered Thrush is pictured. An internet picture. Yes that was a long story and for those of you who endured it, I hope you enjoyed it. Cheers, gary

Attached Images
File Type: gif ayres thrush.GIF (16.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-22-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #403
woofa.express

Another Fog Incident.

I was due to start a spray job early one winters morning. It was foggy so I didn’t get out of bed. The phone rang and the farmer was demanding to know why I hadn’t turned up. I enquired with him about fog and yes he said it was foggy at his place too but still thought I should be there. He was a bit hostile. He called yet again and yes it was still foggy. I endeavoured to explain that I wouldn’t even find his farm under the fog let alone his airstrip. He couldn’t understand that.
My loader driver’s name was Mark, young and off a farm. I called Mark and asked he proceed out and asked him to call me when the fog cleared. Eventually he did so, I took off through the fog at my base using the big yellow ball in the sky as a visual reference, cleared the fog which was thick and proceeded to the job. On arrival he demanded an explanation but still was not convinced. He was young and the third generation on that farm. He thought he was most important.
Loader driver Mark has had an interesting life. I must write about him.
I had another incident with fog at Morundah where I landed in the street of this small town. I did write about it earlier.

Footnote. We all have heard of the third generation syndrome. The founder starts a business including farming, the second builds on it. The third either runs it down or destroys it. I find the third generation sometimes comes in with a big ego and the feeling of self importance. Thankfully there are exceptions.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #404
woofa.express

Christmas brings cheer and sadness.

And some will miss it entirely. Those who board flights in the western hemisphere, mainly America, on Christmas eve and fly west to Asia including Australia. They will arrive on boxing day. They have of course crossed the international dateline.

For those who spend time with their families or friends. It is, for some, the only time they meet for quite a time. And the kids. Unwrapping gifts, the excitement, pretty paper going every where and the talk, yelling even screaming. Adults watching with much pleasure. The Christmas lunch. Much good food and special dishes. Over eating and perhaps just a little too much wine. Later regretting it.

And now for the families who have lost loved ones throughout the year. There are several I know of on this forum. Their first Christmas without a family member or even a close friend. It will be sad. I feel for you.

Also for those of you who have had health set backs I do hope you have a family Christmas reunion. For those of you who have lost a family member some time back. I do hope you too have a family reunion.

For those of you who are alone for any reason. I do hope you find comfort with someone for Christmas.

This household brings in such people so they don’t feel unwanted.

I wish you all well.
Attached Images
File Type: gif santa 4.GIF (6.3 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-25-2018, 09:49 PM   #405
woofa.express

Well it’s behind us for another year. Christmas that is.

We had a pleasant lunch with 3 of our 4 kids and 7 of our 11 grandkids. The 4th kid and family is in Utah and we all wished we too were there with them. It’s over 100 here and getting to 113, all numbers being Fahrenheit of course.

I cooked breakfast this morning, bacon on the BBQ. I had complaints. Today’s bacon included remains of yesterdays bacon and the previous days and the previous days etc etc. Yes the BBQ grate was getting fairly grubby. But if it’s cleaned too frequently it destroys the flavour. I guess I did need cleaning.

This is how it is done.Put a piece of tinfoil on the grate and shut the lid. Turn the gas up fairly high. Let it burn and when it’s all dried charcoal remove the grate and tie a piece of wire to it. Then tie the wire to the back of your bicycle and peddle down a gravel road. Bingo. Clean grate. Don't let this secret out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 pictures.jpg (2.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-26-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #406
woofa.express

Gary gets caught.

It’s pretty hot outside. Yes 105 at this moment, (10.15) and on it’s way up to 113. In the last fortnight I have planted 48 small seedling trees and shrubs. I have placed wood chip around the base of them all to preserve moisture and to prevent soil becoming extremely hot.
I water these of course. It doesn’t matter how much water one pours on, nothing can beat a rain to have these seedlings and indeed all plants come away well. The best I can do is use a weak solution of seasol (a sea weed derivative) and urine and give each seedling a panican a day. Still not as good as the rain but never the less the best I can find.
We have a household of visiting children and grandkids, being Christmas. Six grandkids in all. Well to get my solution of plant nutrition mentioned above, I was having a pee in a bucket when granddaughter Kitty spotted me. Well she roared with laughter and it took only 35 seconds for every kid in the house to know. That is something none of them shall ever forget. I can expect to be ribbed to the end of my days when I am growing daisies.
What names would come to your mind. Well each of those names has left the lips of six kids already.

picture from internet of course.

A footnote.
An explanation in the use of urine. Proteins we eat are digested and are excreted as uric acid in urine which is nitrogenous. The fertilizer urea is likewise nitrogen. Nitrogen is also found in rain particularly when thunderstorms are involved. Nitrogen promotes growth particularly green growth. And incidentally when all the uric acid is not scavenged from the body the bearer of the such body suffers gout.

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-26-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #407
woofa.express

Bill Riley was a clever bloke and a scallywag.

Well Bill started a gliding school and flight centre for gliders (sailplanes) here at Tocumwal about the mid seventies. Bill’s expertise was radar and radio. During the war he was a radar operator on Sunderland aeroplanes searching for German Uboats. He got to fly them as well.

After the war Bill started a radio and electrical shop at Colac Vic. Then TV arrived, what a boon for Bill. The sets with good mark-ups were highly tuned and those with smaller mark-ups were slightly detuned.

Then Bill discovers an old war time airstrip and hangers at Tocumwal and figures that all looks good for a gliding school facility. He purchases a disused military hanger and acquires a local agency for the Blanik gliders. They are excellent to fly and possibly the best pilot trainer there has ever been. Bill is selling these Blaniks all over the country. They came in two colours, unpainted with black trim and unpainted with a kackey red trim. He had 3 sold at once but that was going to create a problem. 3 were painted with kackey red trim and only 2 black.

Well Bill fixed this. several days prior to pickup he let out a story that when they were built they were painted black but the ones that exceeded design limits were painted red. You can guess who wanted what. Now that was a good cunning move by the master of scallywags wasn’t it?

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-27-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #408
ironandsteele

A bit long-winded and it is technically a hot rod, but my coupe's story is written here:

https://ironandsteele.com/blogs/news/the-business
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #409
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrangedcc View Post
A bit long-winded and it is technically a hot rod, but my coupe's story is written here:

https://ironandsteele.com/blogs/news/the-business
yes a long story but you did well.
Do write some more in this forum and in this thread. Will look forward to reading them.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #410
woofa.express

Imaginative Poddy Dodging.

I was flying a Bell helicopter mustering cattle on a Northern Territory property when the station manager had his friend call by with a body truck, stock crate and 35 head of breeding cattle. He had purchased the cattle from a large well known property and was enroute home to his own property.
So why would a property owner make such a small purchase? Easy. His neighbour also had purchased some three thousand head from the same property and had not cross branded them. Therefore every cow carrying the sellers brand that had a calf at foot could be claimed as his. Well after all he too had made such a purchase and further more had a receipt to prove it. I should mention there are no fences and boundaries were usually determined by natural features such as waterways or ridges.
Potentially he could brand some 3,035 calves each year whilst these cows were reproductive. Whilst that is not possible he could certainly brand considerably more than 35.
The Territory is full of scallywags plus others hiding from the law and family maintenance. Some have multiple names you know.
And do you know why I have left names out of this story? Yes of course you do. Don’t you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willeroo stn. n.t. (8).jpg (37.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-28-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #411
40 Deluxe

Not surprising, seeing that Australia's first European "settlers" arrived against their will, being that they were mostly convicted criminals.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #412
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Not surprising, seeing that Australia's first European "settlers" arrived against their will, being that they were mostly convicted criminals.

yes, that's quite correct Mr 40. What once was considered a disgrace or shameful has now turned into a status. It was only when my wife Patsy started doing family history that I learned my ggg grandfather was one and his son who would be my gg grandfather married a convict too. Both convicts were thieves, the former, with others stole 20 pound and the later, clothing. When I visit England, which is not frequent I look at the people and thank god for my thieving forebears. And the judges that exiled them.
The family had a split and my section moved to New Zealand chasing gold and then to California for the same reason. My g grandfather was born in Sacramento. Later returned to New Zealand where I was born. Then I returned to Australia and I will not be going any further, that is won't be going to England.
Yes, Australia was settled by convicts including my forebears. Do I care. Yes, if it wasn't I could be living in England. Not much adventure there.

and it's nice to hear from you Mr 40.

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-28-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #413
katy

Quote:
and give each seedling a panican a day
Wot's a "Panican? A web search didn't help.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #414
woofa.express

Response to readers.

I received a note from 40 deluxe asking if his comment offended me. No it didn't, not in the slightest. In fact I welcomed it. I thought a short story on my family history may be of interest.

And Katy asks what is a panican. It's a tin or enamel mug. I don't know where the name originated.

Hi to both 40 Deluxe and Katy.

I thought I might re run a story of scallywags in the Northern Territory. It will be posted shortly. gary.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #415
woofa.express

Another Territory Scallywag.

In the early 70’s I was mustering cattle in the Northern Territory with a Bell 47. This is a 3 seater bubble type helicopter.
The“territory” has many remote and isolated cattle properties. Numerous are 1 mil acres which is the max area available for leasehold. There are however 5 properties bigger than 3 mil acres.The quality of this country is variable from poor with only small carrying capacity to very large well grassed plains.
Men and women can be characters and some are household names. Bernie Thomlan was one such person. A fencing contractor I met at Willeroo Station which is west ofthe town of Katherine.
The town ofLarrimah is a little over 100 miles south of Katherine and has a population of 11, yes eleven. A property at Larrimah has an extensive area of Coolabah trees. You know the tree under which the swagman sat after stealing the jumbuck. (waltzing matilda).
Bernie spent 3 days there cutting Coolabah posts. Then who should arrive but the station owner and a policeman. Bernie didn’t have permission to gather timber and realised immediately he was stuck. Well the owner said he wasn’t intending to press charges, Bernie departed so did the owner and policeman. But the owner returned next day, along with a truck and helpers. They were now his posts and he had come to pick them up. He was pleased with Bernie. Now Bernie the provider.
When he arrived at the site for these posts he found Bernie had returned with his chainsaw and what were posts was now cut in half. Now good only for fire wood.
And no one in the top end of the Territory ever lit a fire except at a stock camp or cattle drive on which to cook. . Aircon is more appropriate.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #416
40 Deluxe

Gary, which takes more concentration to keep moving in a straight line, a helicopter or a Model A?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #417
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Gary, which takes more concentration to keep moving in a straight line, a helicopter or a Model A?
Both my Model A 's with that 7 tooth steering box. I'm thinking of upgrading to a gemmer with 2 tooth. I've put on a short pitman rod and whilst the steering is lower geared and easier the slop is greater. I purchased a 35 steering box, rhd, thinking I'd have it converted but the engineer said it wouldn't fit in the chassis u frame.
However a helicopter is unstable and one must hold the controls at all times. It has been now 45 years since I flew a helicopter and it didn't have any modern gear like one would find in a modern machine.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #418
woofa.express

This is a long preamble, but it will give you something to read during the new year break.

Preamble fromWikipedia. Wombats are short-legged, muscular quadrupedal marsupials that are native to Australia. They are about 1 m (40 in) in length with small, stubby tails. There are three extant species and they are all members of the family Vombatidae. They are adaptable and habitat tolerant, and are found in forested, mountainous, and heathland areas of south-eastern Australia, including Tasmania.
Wombats dig extensive burrow systems with their rodent-like front teeth and powerful claws. One distinctive adaptation of wombats is their backward pouch. The advantage of a backward-facing pouch is that when digging, the wombat does not gather soil in its pouch over its young. Although mainly
crepuscular and nocturnal,wombats may also venture out to feed on cool or overcast days. They are not commonly seen, but leave ample evidence of their passage, treating fences as minor inconveniences to be gone through or under, and leaving distinctive cubicfeces.[5] The cubical nature of the feces is thought to serve two purposes; to mark territory and to attract mating partners. The wombat produces between 80 and 100, two-centimetre (0.8 in)pieces of feces in a single night, and four to eight pieces each bowel movement.[6]

Our Wombat. Big heart and little head.

Dick was an aeroplane maintenance man. I hired him when he lived on Queensland and he drove1100 miles south to take up the position for the summer season. Initially he stayed with Patsy and I at our home. He was a likeable bloke, always worked his best which mostly was pretty ordinary. He was frequently in trouble with me so he kept out of my way. He worked at night and by the time he got home I was either in bed or too tired to care. Because he worked at night I named him Wombat.
It turns out Wombat was spending most of the evenings at the local and when he was asked how he acquired the name Wombat he would always respond with “Wombat eats roots and leaves”.
Well Wombat had no money and I felt sorry for him. I payed him well but it just wouldn’t stick. I decided it would help him if I sold him our car. An older model but I had kept it in immaculate condition.
Our shed on the local aerodrome was where we kept chemical, aeroplane spare parts, tools and junk. It was a hot place to hang out during summer but when I arrived back early I found Wombat there, just hanging about. I couldn’t figured why. Well the telephone rings and I answer. A finance company rep calling to enquire about Wombat, the sort of things financiers like to know when providing money. I provide the answers and elaborated on them in a way that pleased the man but didn’t really please me. When the call finished I looked at Wombat and I knew why he was just hanging around the shed in the heat with otherwise nothing to do. To receive that call himself and bullshit the financier he was expecting to call.
Well the season closed, Wombat took delivery of his new car, made the down payment then headed back to Queensland. Of course we heard from the financial quite frequently afterwards.
Well Wombat later returned to the region, setting up a maintenance facility in Benalla which is about an hours drive south. He had plenty of work, much from aeroplane owners who couldn’t find an engineer or workshop to sign off work that had been previously done mostly by themselves to their respective aeroplanes. Always in trouble with the aviation authority. Still helping people out where other engineers wouldn’t.
Wombat. Known far and wide by that name alone. Still likeable, big heart and little head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wombat2.jpg (19.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-30-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #419
woofa.express

Yesterday. Wombat’s were part of the story. So today I’ll continue with other Australian native animals.
The Koala.

Koala. Commonly called the Koala Bear. I always call them bears which drives my wife batty and she is continually correcting me.
The animal is a marsupial- she carries the bub in her pouch- for about 6 months. They are herbivores and spend their time up the gum tree not necessarily in the canopy. Their diet is gum tree leaves and it is rare that they drink water.
The male is a Buck, the female is a Doe and bub a Joey. They live to be about 20 years max, are territorial and seem to need about 30 acres each. When I first heard one I mistook it’s grunting to be a pig. I’d never pick one up, the long sharp claws are quite a deterrent.
My daughter inlaw got a picture of one crossing the old railway bridge outside our house. A tourist got a picture of one sitting on our fence post. Maybe even the same animal. Pictures included, that’s if I manage to get them both on this story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridge bear.jpg (70.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bear bear.JPG (53.9 KB, 9 views)

Old 12-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #420
woofa.express

The bear, the one on the right hand side, in the previous story, number 420, was not on my fence post. the correct picture is here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear on post.jpg (61.8 KB, 11 views)