Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
Standing Elk

Default shocks or springs??

Ok, my 30 coupe lists a little to the drivers side. You can notice it does not sit quite level. I can pick up on either the front of rear bumper and level it out but if I push down it goes down and stays there. This is only on the drivers side. If I shove down on the passengers side bumpers the car goes down and comes right back up. I am going to check the oil in the shocks today but was curious if any of you had an explanation.
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: shocks or springs??

The shocks have nothing to do with your problem. The springs in a Model A seem to take a set from the driver always putting weight on the left side and not always a passenger to balance it out. Spring repair or replacement is the only solution that I know of. Others with more knowledge will chime in. Good luck. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
100IH

The top of the springs are curved. The "U bolts that hold the spring to the frame can be loosened and the frame can be rocked a bit to the other side. Then tighten the bolt that holds the frame there, then the other one second. Try to figure if most of the twist is coming from the front or rear and fix where it is most out of whack. All of this relies on having healthy spring packs, front and rear.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

For a QUICKIE "FIX", saturate your springs with a GOOD Penetrating Oil, about a DOZEN times, over a 2 week period.
Bill W.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
For a QUICKIE "FIX", saturate your springs with a GOOD Penetrating Oil, about a DOZEN times, over a 2 week period.
Bill W.
Yes, I see so many dry and rusty springs, and have to wonder why people don't oil them. My 29 Tudor was that way when I bought it, and just squirting oil on the springs changed the ride from a lumber wagon to that of a good Model A.

If you want an even better ride, like that of a Studebaker, you need to buy a Studebaker.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

A binding shock can cause the sticking, but most likely it is a dry spring---when was the last time it was oiled---squirt it down good with oil can and thin oil-most times my oil can has ATF in it-don't forget the oil hole in the hand crank bearing, go for a drive, oil again, it will make a mess, but after a few oilings you will know if the shocks are good and if the lean is just because the spring was dry.---
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Standing Elk

Thanks fellas. I will let you know how I come out.
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
mike657894

I had a hard lean to the drivers side. From a long time sitting with two flats or a possible collision. I tried to move my springs over to help. Took the front apart ground off all the rust and greased. After that my rig still looked like a jalopy. Well it was the frame that was bent. I had too put a jack under the frame and bounce on the bumper to tweak it back and its still barely low on the drivers side but much better.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
WHN

I had same problem. Replaced all the shocks and front spring. Still had the same problem.

Replaced rear spring. Now fine. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
Manager

I went on a diet and fixed mine.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
SSsssteamer

My '31 CCPU had a driver's side lean, terribly so. I oiled the springs which made it ride better but I still had the lean to the left. I would stand on the passenger's side and that would fix the lean until the next time I opened the driver's door. Jacking up the axles in their centers one at a time and measuring the fender to floor measurement concluded that the front leaf spring was the offender. I tried all of the other fixes as mention in other posts. My permanent fix was to remove the front spring, grind all of the wear marks smooth, and then I reversed the front spring end for end when I re-installed it. I did add one more leaf to the front spring to get that perfect level as it left from the factory look. Perfection... I like that. And it rides better now too.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, whadda' we expect from a jitney with "BUGGY" springs? Just an idisynchrocy of a Model A-- LOL!
If I left Minervas' R/H door open for 3 days, she'd lean RIGHT, switch doors for 3 days & she's STRAIGHT, again!
I LEAN right, is it from structural "damage" or do I need OILING??? I remember when wrench jockeys rubbed on WD-40, for WRENCH ELBOW, really! !
Bill W.