Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Ian in Mississauga

Default MOdel B valve cover gasket

I'm curious, how many of you use the gasket the way it comes and how many cut out the lower section? I have always cut it out but now I'm having doubts.
Ian in Mississauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
ursus

Default Re: MOdel B valve cover gasket

Ian, I use it as is but punch a few holes with a paper punch along the oil channel just to enhance the flow along its length. Keep in mind that the "B" gasket has two jobs: 1) keep oil from leaking to the outside of the block, and 2) keep the majority of pressurized oil available to the main and camshaft bearings (what escapes goes to the valve chamber and out to the camshaft gear).
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Leave it as-is.. The reasoning is that is a pressurized channel and the pressure can push the paper gasket out if it were not supported in the manner it is. Doesn't hurt a thing to leave it just the way it is manufactured.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian in Mississauga View Post
I'm curious, how many of you use the gasket the way it comes and how many cut out the lower section? I have always cut it out but now I'm having doubts.
Hey Ian,
I had a 'brain lock' when first trying to vision you question. Having thot this thru, I now see what your saying. There's a couple of very experienced guys here...one saying that he cuts it out...like you ! Another says leave it as made.
Got to thinking of your question ...some more, and went out to look at an aluminum B side cover , that I got from an old timer who raced B engines, with OHV.
This alum cover has a 'channel' machined out of the alum (see pic) ....most likely (IMO) to enhance oil pressure flow..say for full HIGH pressure flow. I know that he used high pressure full filter flow, as you can see the holes on either end of the machined groove. He would not have used the gasket portion in this area...as gasket would have defeated his grooving the cover,eh ? So, I asked a F.A.S.T. friend what's up ? He explained that is how some worked the cover for racing. This indicates that there's more than one way to do things.

BTW...notice the 'EXTRA' holes along the same groove , that are now plugged. Recent past, I asked here if anyone used this method of 'sealing' the oil channel...say for high pressure use and/or just to prevent oil leaks...If removing gasket from this area. No one answered and probably did not realize what I was asking. Strange thing here tho, I have the old timers B block reviving it. It has the same pattern extra holes...why did he then plug the cover extra holes...mystery,eh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (80.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-08-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: .............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote