Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Glenn Mott

Default 1931 pickup doors and seat cushions

I have a 1931 pickup that as close as I can tell was built in May or June of 1931. It has a narrow box and an indented firewall. I called Macs and they told me what seat springs would fit they don't. The back looks correct but the seat cushion is to wide to fit on the riser . It looks to be about 6 in to wide from front to back [ from the back springs to the front when the springs are inside the angle to the back]. Any one that can give me some help?
Second problem is what do the doors look like on the inside. Are there seals that go around the doors to keep out dust and water? Where can I get pictures [ prints] of the parts for the cab including and box. This truck is in good shape but in pieces. Thanks
Glenn Mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: 1931 pickup doors and seat cushions

Return the springs to Mac's on their dime. Order new springs from Snyder's or LeBaron Bonney. They will fit properly. Mac's, eapecially their Cartouche product line, has some quality control issues, though they claim they are trying to improve.

Catalogs will show you what you need for your doors, and they're free for asking.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Bob C

This link may help. http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic...hilit=windlace

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Del in NE Ohio

If you end up ordering new seat cushion/backrest springs, consider ordering "cut-down" spring sets. I too have a 31 CCPU and am 6 ft tall and 210 lb. Much more room and no real loss of "comfort". Also, those doors didn't have "seals" as we have come to expect on cars. There was a seal sandwiched between the door and the upholstered door panel that would seal the bottom of the door against the bottom sill.
The rest of the door opening is "sealed"with the windlace that is part of the upholstering kit.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Cape Codder

I would interested to hear if you do send them back to Mac's will you have to pay for shipping. A few years ago I purchased a new front carpet for my car and when I received it the binding was not complete. I called to find out how to return the carpet for a refund and was told I would have to pay for the shipping back and would be charged a restocking/return fee. I have not bought from Mac's since.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Herb Concord Ca

Hi Glenn, I have 31 indented firewall Roadster pick up, I ordered new seats which came from Synders and my seat cushion was too wide/ like yours. I called the supplier and was told this is the correct seat spring for this car, sooo
Good luck with yours.
I kept mine, hope you have better luck than I did.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
Pmsqrd

I have an indented firewall CCPU also. I just recently put in new seat springs. For some reason the indented firewall cabs have a different seat riser than the earlier cabs. Believe me I measured both to make sure. The seat springs I purchased at Sacramento Vintage for the indented firewall cab worked fine. I suspect they came from Snyder's. I covered them with a kit from LeBaon Bonney. They work great and look great. BTW I am 6'2".
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote