Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #41
DavidG

Default Re: 33 Phaeton questions from Sri Lanka

ceejay,

All of the above well-meaning advice is for LHD fours. Your starter switch control is cable operated and the open question remains "where was it located on the dash". When the change was made in late '32 to a foot controlled starter switch for LHD fours, it was NOT made for RHD fours.

I have a '33 four and it has a foot-controlled starter switch, but it's LHD so that's no help.

Have you tried sending a PM to "Doctor's Ford" as suggested earlier?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #42
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

All my RHD dashes have had holes (now welded )in the right of the Amp meter
Quot .The starter like the pick up 4 would be a cable nearest the driver .In the case of the US dash on the left ,were a right hand drive one it would be on the right as the picture ,the starter butt ion is about like the Model A .picture but it would take a cable

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #43
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Oh dear !! This means someone actually went to the trouble of sourcing later 16" Ford wheels and installing them on my 33 !! So they could have. Hanged anything else too.

Does anyone make new wire wheels for the 33/34 Ford ?

Iv seen new wheels almost identical to the stock 33 ford wheel. I think wheelvintiques does them is different sizes.
Is that the closes thing one can get to new wheels ?
I don't think anyone reproduces the 17 inch wheels but with all of the cars becoming street rods there is a large supply of good wheels at a reasonable cost in the US. I assume you car would use the same wheel as the US built but THAT IS AN ASSUMPTION AND I AM NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT 1933 LHD CARS. Shipping is another problem. I recently sold to a person from New Zealand. He had a shipping company that collected parts for him in Los Angeles and, I assume, shipped when the container was full. The company he used was Main Freight, the contact he used was Annie Stewart, 562 295-1350. I don't know if this service was based on a personal friendship or it was something they did on a regular basis. From my end everything went great and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 11-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #44
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Charlie ,Main freight do these shipments on a regular bases ,They handled about 10 Model As that came over (Barn Members Frank Gemmal ? )for a tour ,then shipped them back .Air freight would be the way to go .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #45
Lawrie

Ceejay.
part number for the right hand drive 4 cyl starter switch assy From my right hand drive 28-35 4cyl and v8 cars and trucks parts book. is, 46-11450.switch (starter) assembly 4 cyl 33-34.
I looked for the cable or something but all that seemed to be there was.
46F-11475 control(starter switch) assembly-RHD 33-34
plus 33925-S7 nut
34827 S2 washer.
hope this helps.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #46
Capn John

[QUOTE=ceejay;527143]Oh dear !! This means someone actually went to the trouble of sourcing later 16" Ford wheels and installing them on my 33 !! So they could have. Hanged anything else too.

It may well be that the wheels you have are original. Since there is scant evidence to support options, you may wish to enjoy what you have!!!
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #47
ceejay

Thank you every one for your input !! much appreciated !!

Ok so the starter cable may have been on the gauge panel part of the dash you reckon ? next to the amp meter... ok I will look for evidence on a welded up hole there.

Oh I ship huge consignments from the USA all the time... I brought down 3/4 of a 58 Buick and 1/2 a 60 Pontiac for my restorations.
I have a really good shipper who send a container to Sri Lanka every month.
I just need to send what ever parts to their NJ address.

The wheels on my car are quite bad. I see some bent spokes and plenty of evidence of the insides on the hubs being very badly corroded before restoration.

This is the first time I saw a wire wheel where the spokes are permanently fixed to both the hub and the outer rim and they have no nipples to tighten the spokes.

Have a look at the attached photo. Isn't that a good option if a set of new wheels ? I know it is not a Exact replica but it is quite close appearance wise isn't it ?

What would the stock 17" wheel sizes have been ?? 17X what width ? what is the bold pattern and what was the back spacing ?

if very good wheels are available used, that may be an option too but tell me what you guys think of these new wheels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WV71069_4.jpg (47.7 KB, 21 views)
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #48
deuce lover

The stock 17" wheel is 3.5" wide I believe.They are available but make sure that whoever you buy them from checks them for being true and no pitting if possible.I helped a fellow in Chile get a set of 16" Kelsey's for his 35 coupe.It took awhile to find 5 good wheels and then I had them sandblasted and primed for him.He was very happy.Fortunately he works for the US Embassy so shipping was simple.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #49
Tudortomnz

Ceejay
I have an NZ RHD Parts List for '32 '34 which lists -
Starter Switch- 46F-11475 Control [ starter switch] assembly. This goes with 46F 11450 Starter Switch assembly. The 40 [V8] is listed as ''Rod, Starter Switch Push'', which may mean the RHD 4 is a cable/dash knob.
Your very rare car would have been supplied by Ford Canada to Ford India.
There are some RHD Model 46 '33 phaetons in Australia [ with different Ford Australia bodywork] & others in Argentina which originate from the US.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #50
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Thank you every one for your input !! much appreciated !!

Ok so the starter cable may have been on the gauge panel part of the dash you reckon ? next to the amp meter... ok I will look for evidence on a welded up hole there.

Oh I ship huge consignments from the USA all the time... I brought down 3/4 of a 58 Buick and 1/2 a 60 Pontiac for my restorations.
I have a really good shipper who send a container to Sri Lanka every month.
I just need to send what ever parts to their NJ address.

The wheels on my car are quite bad. I see some bent spokes and plenty of evidence of the insides on the hubs being very badly corroded before restoration.

This is the first time I saw a wire wheel where the spokes are permanently fixed to both the hub and the outer rim and they have no nipples to tighten the spokes.

Have a look at the attached photo. Isn't that a good option if a set of new wheels ? I know it is not a Exact replica but it is quite close appearance wise isn't it ?

What would the stock 17" wheel sizes have been ?? 17X what width ? what is the bold pattern and what was the back spacing ?

if very good wheels are available used, that may be an option too but tell me what you guys think of these new wheels
I don't like them for an otherwise restored car. They just don't look right. You should be able to get VERY nice original wheels for what those cost. I would like to see 16 inch bent spoke Kelsey wheels before those.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 11-03-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #51
ceejay

Ok Charlie... if that's what you guys say then that't the rout I'll take. As long as i can get very very good original wheels, I'll be happy... Since you guy say its a rare and desirable car, I'm very keen to put it absolutely right.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #52
Capn John

At least 6 on Epay right now!!! FORD 17" spoke wheels!

Last edited by Capn John; 11-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #53
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Ok Charlie... if that's what you guys say then that't the rout I'll take. As long as i can get very very good original wheels, I'll be happy... Since you guy say its a rare and desirable car, I'm very keen to put it absolutely right.
That was just my opinion. I hope someone else posts what they think of them. Plus it's your car and the wheels are easy change later if you change your mind.

Charlie Stephens
Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #54
columbiA

CEEJAY Several days ago in your thread on the model A barn,I said that the 33 RHD Fords likely used the starter switch mounted on the steering box.In rethinking that,does your car have the gas pedal centered below the steering column & between the pedals like a RHD model A? If so,the switch mounted on steering box will not work as the button would be under the gas pedal.Im sure the early 32 pull cable starter is the correct one for your car.I would think the pull knob would be in easy reach on the dash.Your engine # makes it a US engine.The 33 CDN B coupe I used to own had an engine & frame #of CBTxxxx.The generator on your car appears to be from a later model vehicle.The ign coil on my 33 was mounted in the center of the angled section of the firewall & the coil faced toword the engine.If you need to rebuild the waterpump,a model A rebuild kit will work,but you will need to shorten the pump shaft & reuse the B impeller.You should always drill the impeller & shaft for a 3/32" roll pin to make sure it doesnt move.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #55
ceejay

Thanks for that columbiA. I think general consensus is that the pull cable starter is correct for this Right hand drive 4 cylinder car.

This car has been converted to 12 Volts. That's why it has been fitted with a later generator and different ignition coil.

They have retained the 6V starter and it cranks the engine like mad when you hit the starter