Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #21
G.M.

Default Re: Flathead water pumps

I stopped to see skip Weds. He had a brand new set of after market pumps
he was rebuilding. He said customer said he had no cooling improvement so
he sent them to Skip to modify. Maybe this person will read this post and
after he uses the new pumps report the results here. G.M.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #22
Ol' Ron

I would liket to run a set of skips pumps on the race engine. However I'm using 8BA Ford pumps and don't have any cores. I went on line and found a set od 53 PU pumps for $112, so I bought them. I work on a limited budget. I just figgered if they didn't work I'd at least have cores for skip. When the box arrived I was supprised to find Dennis Carpenter pumps in the box. I was also supprised to see the new impellers on them. My biggest concern is the thickness of the input hole. It's only about 1/8" thick and I'm afraid they might break there with the engine shaking. Anyways, I have many other problems to solve befor I need them
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #23
Ol' Ron

MTT

can't believe 1200 people read this and only 2 responded
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #24
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I would liket to run a set of skips pumps on the race engine. However I'm using 8BA Ford pumps and don't have any cores. I went on line and found a set od 53 PU pumps for $112, so I bought them. I work on a limited budget. I just figgered if they didn't work I'd at least have cores for skip. When the box arrived I was supprised to find Dennis Carpenter pumps in the box. I was also supprised to see the new impellers on them. My biggest concern is the thickness of the input hole. It's only about 1/8" thick and I'm afraid they might break there with the engine shaking. Anyways, I have many other problems to solve befor I need them
If you want 8ba car pumps, I have a set you can have for the cost of a medium flat rate USPS box. I can'r help you if you need 8rt truck pumps.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #25
RKS.PA

When I rebuilt the 59AB in my '47, I put Bob Drake pumps in ($125 for the pair), and then sent the originals to Skip for rebuild. Got Skip's back and have them in "reserve" for when or if the Drake pumps fail. Been two years and so far, so good. The shaft in the left one seems a little bent, but otherwise all good. Looks from Bob's video on his pumps as though he built to his own specs. Wonder where the manufacturing takes place....see they are currently out of stock!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
RKS.PA

Should have noted above there's a post below on G&G water pumps for later flatheads. Looks like C&G carries Drake pumps.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:09 AM   #27
Ziggster

I purchased pumps from Speedway recently, but it will be a while before I run the engine. Pumps look good out of the box, but the flimsy thin cardboard box they came in was trashed when I picked them up. Luckily I had ordered multiple parts, so they were in a larger shipping box.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #28
philipswanson

Are higher flow pumps better? If so, why for years did people knock off every other fin to keep water in the radiator longer. If higher flow is better, why do we run thermostats? Can't have it both ways.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #29
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Are higher flow pumps better? If so, why for years did people knock off every other fin to keep water in the radiator longer. If higher flow is better, why do we run thermostats? Can't have it both ways.

Phil, There are a lot of guesspert fumble fingers out there. People were
just trying anything to get the temp down. I did all the tests for Skip and designed his new impellers and can assure you more coolant through the
engine produces cooler results. In fact his pumps nearly double the flow of stock and after market pumps. Thermostats don't really slow the coolant they open and close to try to maintain the say 180 degree rating of the stat. Being partially open they would slow it some. With stock and after market impellers you get a lot of slippage of the impeller in the coolant, this stirs a lot of air into the coolant. Coolant doesn't cool as well going through the radiator with air in it as pure coolant does. On Skips water pump machine after running stock or after market pumps there is a big release of air when he removes the cap. There is no air with his pumps.
Lets hear from people that use Skips pumps after the stock ones and people that used after market pumps then had him modify them. G.M.
I want to add, with a plugged up radiator the engine will run hot even with Skips pumps.

Last edited by G.M.; 04-21-2019 at 02:26 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #30
philipswanson

It would be nice to see actual test results comparing stock pumps to Skip's. Not just flow rates but temperature comparisons under load and at idle and everywhere in between. That probably require dyno testing not just flow rates. It's obvious that an improved impeller would increase flow rates but not so obvious that temperatures would fall given the same radiator and thermostats.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #31
tubman

Just to be clear, as I understand it, the later (8BA) pumps have efficient impellers and are quite adequate as is, so there is no benefit from an "improved" design. The earlier pumps ('32-'36) have inefficiently designed impellers that can benefit from a better design. Can someone clarify this for me?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #32
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just to be clear, as I understand it, the later (8BA) pumps have efficient impellers and are quite adequate as is, so there is no benefit from an "improved" design. The earlier pumps ('32-'36) have inefficiently designed impellers that can benefit from a better design. Can someone clarify this for me?
There is very little improvement of the 8BA over the 59A pumps. The 32
to 36 pumps and impellers are completely different from the 59A and
8BA pumps. G.M.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #33
philipswanson

I think the jury is still out as to whether improved flow equals a cooler running engine. Many are in the camp that too fast of a flow doesn't allow the radiator to cool the water enough. I don't know but we need to rely on proper testing of engine temps, not just flow rates. There's allot more to engine cooling system technology that just a higher flowing impeller.

Last edited by philipswanson; 04-22-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #34
flatheadmurre

Cavitation is the problem that happens when you start trying to push a pump harder then it was designed for...that is probably the reason people racing engines in the past knocked off every second fin in the pumps.
If you run an engine on a constant high rpm it will also take less horsepower that way.
A pump is not only about flow...you need pressure to...so must be a compromise...height of fins/number of fins/angle of fins...what is the rpm it will be used at...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #35
philipswanson

Hopefully Henry got it right.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #36
estout81
BANNED

For info only. Black ones are Carpenters and orange ones are Skip's rebuild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6300290.jpg (90.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg S6300291.jpg (77.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg S6300292.jpg (85.7 KB, 73 views)
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #37
philipswanson

Skip's look pretty anemic compared to Carpenter's.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #38
29delivery

I ve had skip's pumps in my 40 mercury for three years now with no overheating problems in traffic or at Idle,just had him do a pair for my 36.Great service and I'm totally satisfied.No B S,no excuses. ken
29delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #39
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I think the jury is still out as to whether improved flow equals a cooler running engine. Many are in the camp that too fast of a flow doesn't allow the radiator to cool the water enough. I don't know but we need to rely on proper testing of engine temps, not just flow rates. There's allot more to engine cooling system technology that just a higher flowing impeller.
Using your logic, since this is a closed system, the water would also stay in the engine longer and be hotter exiting the engine making it harder to cool. Increased flow equals more heat transfer. Simple fluid dynamics.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #40
Angledrive

I run Skips pumps on all my flatheads. Gives me a good peace of mind.
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote