Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
DavidG

Default Seeking the whereabouts of........

I seeking the whereabouts of the 1932 V8 deluxe roadster shown in the photo below. The main body color is Old Chester Gray and the molding color is Tunis Gray.

This car was my first restoration and was completed in the late '60s. Among others, it was awarded the AACA Chocolate Town award. I sold it in the mid-80s to a hobbyist in Connecticut who was after me to sell it to him ever since its first showing at Hershey in 1968.

I'd like to reacquire it, if possible. If not, I'll be happy knowing it has a good home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1118.jpg (107.0 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 02-14-2019 at 08:24 PM.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
uncle buck

Default Re: Seeking the whereabouts of........

Good luck on your search David ! Beautiful restoration
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Mike in AZ

Beauty. How someone is enjoying driving it looking like that. Hope you find it. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I seeking the whereabouts of the 1932 V8 deluxe roadster shown in the photo below. The main body color is Old Chester Gray and the molding color is Tunis Gray.

This car was my first restoration and was completed in the late '60s. Among others, it was awarded the AACA Chocolate Town award. I sold it in the mid-80s to a hobbyist in Connecticut who was after me to sell it to him ever since its first showing at Hershey in 1968.

I'd like to reacquire it, if possible. If not, I'll be happy knowing it has a good home.
Hello David, I'm sure you've already done it, but, if you know his name, look in the Early V-8 club roster and see if his name is there. If not in the current one, look in an old one.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
DavidG

Carl,

Good counsel, but I'm away from where I would have that information and I thought I'd try a shot in the dark while I'm down south twiddling my thumbs.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
rufus39

David,
Here's one I saw that was sold a few years ago thru Mecum Auctions. https://www.mecum.com/lots/AR0612-12...luxe-roadster/...
Probably not your old one, but hey, it's a start.. Maybe it was sold through a similar auction company. I googled your stated body colors . Good luck with your search. I know it would mean a lot to you to find it..
rufus39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
jimTN

There are "car finder" outfits that specialize in locating specific cars and they have access to records we do not have. A friend found a Porsche he owned back in the 60s using one of them. And yes, he was able to buy it back.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
DavidG

rufus39,

Thanks for the reference. I recall seeing that roadster in an ad at the time of the auction. It looks like a very nice one, but many details are different from mine. It appears to have been a standard model restored as a deluxe whereas as mine was built as a deluxe.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Hello David, I'm sure you've already done it, but, if you know his name, look in the Early V-8 club roster and see if his name is there. If not in the current one, look in an old one.

You have to know what state someone lives in before you can find them in the EFV8 directory. (Cross indexing "costs too much money" LOL )

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
john mitchell

Looks like one on ebay just recently may still be up
john mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #11
DavidG

Nope, different body and upholstery colors and endless details.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

How likely that the car is even the same color after 50 years? How likely that it is now a street rod, channeled with the fenders ripped off, and the chassis sold off and replaced with an aftermarket frame, etc.?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
29delivery

Hey,no negative vibes,no one would cut that car up or at least they should'nt. ken
29delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #14
DavidG

It could happen, in which case I would not want to know about it. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss. I've had several friends who have volunteered to do the searching just in case that's the outcome.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #15
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It could happen, in which case I would not want to know about it. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss. I've had several friends who have volunteered to do the searching just in case that's the outcome.
Unfortunately David (and not to cast a dark cloud on you're search), I know of a 32 three window of "similar" caliber of yours that met the hot rod fate......our friend ended up with the "full chassis" as a result...paid all that money just to say that it was "real steel" hot rod!! I don;t get it but it is what it is I hope you find you're car and are able to acquire it very soon!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
Seth Swoboda

David,

Good luck with your search. I really hope you find it well and are able to get it back. It's a noble pursuit.

My grandfather owned a '32 five window coupe, did a restoration (not the caliber of yours) and sold it back in the mid 1990's to a Ford dealer near Richmond Va. I'd love to find that car back and purchase it. So I understand your point of view.

Seth
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #17
BoxCar Tom

David, i always thought that car was Winter Leaf brown? Regarding the car in post #6 you state "It appears to have been a standard model restored as a deluxe whereas as mine was built as a deluxe." Is that based on the mirrors or am I missing something else?
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
bobH

Possible 'glimmer of hope'... There's always a chance. In my case, I sold an A roadster in the early 60's, same time frame as yours. I recently traced (or, had it traced) to the current owner, and talked to the owner. From his current description, I am no longer interested in it. But, my point is, finding yours might be possible. Mine was traced using DMV records, and I had 'inside help' with the dmv. Amazingly, mine still carries the same license plate that was on it when I had it. And, the currently-used id number is the same as the motor number that I had, although the current owner says the motor is long gone.
(BTW, mine was traced across state lines. It currently resides in an adjacent state.)
Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited by bobH; 02-20-2019 at 02:38 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #19
DavidG

Tom,

Very observant, it's the inside mirror plus the left side windshield post and a lack of a mirror there. Once the dash is wood grained, the top irons and rear window frame are plated, and new upholstery and top installed there's not anything left to differentiate them. (Rumble seats and cowl lamps were legit options for standards and in the latter case in some jurisdictions standard equipment.)

The photo that I posted above is more than fifty years old and the car does come off looking like it could be Winterleaf brown. The one below is not quite as old and is more true to the actual colors of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1115.jpg (63.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #20
mike in tucson

IF you still know the 18-xxxxx number, you might try a license plate office and
ask them to verify that the serial number is not in use....if they check and it comes
back as a hit, they might tell you what state it is registered in...they certainly will not
tell you who owns it but a state location is a start. I had a friend who has a legit serial number but when trying to register it, the license plate bureau said it was already registered....my friend had proof his was legit and they told him what state the bogus registration was....he contacted that state's license bureau and they called the bogus serial number in for inspection.... so they do have that ability!
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote