Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Shadetree

Default Hershey Pictures

Without doubt it was the worst weather I had witnessed at Hershey. There were lots of vacant parking spots at the car corral. Still there was buying and selling activity going on. Some of the car sellers had to be devastated by seeing their restored automobiles sitting in the deluge of rain. Many vendors were packing up and leaving Friday.

We paid $30 to park on asphalt close to the park and considered it a bargain.

]
Rain or shine, there is always lots of traffic at Hershey

The foot bridge traffic is light.

Bell System Green always catches my eye.

A nice little `35 Cabriolet for sale. I bet it is the first time it has sat in the rain for many years.

Remember the Unibody?

The new `40 Coupe body looks great!

We gave up and headed home Friday thinking there would not be a Saturday car show in an unpaved park. It did not stop raining until we were back in West Virginia.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Don

Default Re: Hershey Pictures

Same here Shadetree,sold quite a bit Wednesday & Thursday .enough to pay for my trip and a little ef over,..Loaded up friday morn and headed for Ky.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
VeryTangled

Thumbs up Re: Hershey Pictures

Hi Everyone, (using my android and I hate the onscreen keyboard, please excuse!)

Just got back home from Saturday at Hershey. Unexpectedly, it was a great day! I'm sure I will post more, but I left suburbs of DC at 3:15 got there before sunup. Had the whole place to myself, awesome! Saw Pat M and Mark M, the '32 contingent, were out to represent for the Ford team, but about seven or more judged '30's V8's were not on the show field.

I always try to find the Duesenberg but came up empty this time.

The guys in the car corral are likely ripe pickins' this week, so make those calls fellas. If I had to pick, the best candidate I saw was a 37 that looked original outside, had Ithink a 37 engine, and what looked like seat covers of the correct fabric, but Isuspect not a driving car. Also a pretty rough 12cyl late 40's Continental that was not my style but I will try to post somwthing for those so inclined here on the Barn. Didn't see any Barn signs.

Spent $5 on a program, $5 on a pair of scrap gas caps (wasted money) $8 on a. Crabcake, $10 on a mug /w 2 free lemonaides, $12 to park, $1 for the porta pottie attendant.

More after a shower. (tmi) Aw fer cripes sake, a water line is busted down the street, road film all over me for now!

-VT/Jeff

I HATE THIS, NEED KEYBOARD!.... MODERN TOYS, UGH!

PS pic 1, all those guys on the left are parking in a swamp! Good call shadetree!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 10-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Clem Clement

Was there a judging show on Saturday in the mud? We left Friday morning
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

Yes, there was judging and believe it or not the show field was mud free. Saturday turned out to be a nice day. As much as I want to complain about thursday's and friday's downpour, a record 8" or 9" inches, most rain in the area in over one hundred years, at least I wasn't a vendor. Those guys took a beating, some I talked to were leaving thursday morning to try and save on motel costs. Mother Nature is a BITCH!!!
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Straightpipes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
We set up on Tuesday and had good sales on Wednesday. paid for the trip. The rain started Thursday and by Friday noon we had had enough and packed up.
There weren't many cars in the car coral areas by Friday. I was wondering if the tunnel flooded this year but didn't go over there to look........
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Talkwrench

Sorry to see the weather was so bad for you guys.. Shame .
Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
VeryTangled

Hey Y'all, still no water pressure at the homestead...

Many crispy show cars! Hate to admit it but a couple of high-option Corvettes caught my eye (one a split-window), and I usually can't get a bump in my blood pressure from them. A very nice showing of brass cars including a hearty batch of T's, and a very long list of others. People probably missed the race cars but there were some historic and pricy bits in the lower parking lot.

Many frightful coral cars with equally unrealistic expectations. The owner of this good looking '36 truck wanted a Roadster price [Edit: it's a '38 not a '36, funny because that's what he was asking, 38K.]. One fella said the auction was hot the previous two nights.

The weather was very good and there were no mud quagmires at the crosswalks or anywhere on the field that I saw. There was no mud on the show field, yes a few 2 foot across puddles on the turn-in to the field, but you should avoid them if you're afraid of that stuff.

The only car I saw mud on at the exit was the Locomobile. Likely not it's first time, but still a little grating.

I watched about 1/3 of the show cars come off the field and even the white-tire'd ones I saw weren't damaged. See the Stanley below, when on the field, and leaving the field.

People should remember this is the perfect grass field. It used to be a golf course so the drainage is sorted out.

I couldn't believe it when I saw people sitting on the ground, jeans-to-grass! I didn't try it, but didn't see any wet, well, I can't finish this but you get it.

More on the wet. One of the very first early Fords on the field, shortly after daybreak, had a brass spark-plug 'nut' go missing under the right front tire. On my tummy under the immaculate flathead, I came out dry. No kidding.

Also got to help a fella install his side curtains, as I'd just gone through the drill on our car two weeks ago. His set was four pieces and two support rods per side of the car, the Phaeton uses four support rods and five curtain pieces for each side.

-VT/JeffH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0600_zps077d157b.jpg (59.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0510_zps95698148.jpg (101.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0408_zpse110d6bd.jpg (62.9 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 10-13-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Correcting truck year
Old 10-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
VeryTangled

Tie for worst 'save from the crusher' to show up while I was watching. I actually owned a a copy one of those two fugly pigs, and owned the twin (FoMoCo vs. uh...) to the other one!

-VT/JeffH

Pinto vs. Chevette
Club Wagon vs. Express (mine was a 15 passenger model, longer wheelbase than this example)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0422_zpsa96b5fe8.jpg (76.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0453_zpsb1c3176f.jpg (69.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 10-12-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Shadetree

I am getting old! Never thought I would ever see a Chevette or a Ford van show up at Hershey as an antique! Wow! Do you suppose our grandchildren will marvel at these vehicles like we marvel at a `20's or `30's car?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
VeryTangled

For our V12 Friends. A viable project, owner interested in opening negotiations at upwards of 40k. What I would call a shameful amount of rust coming from head studs for what the owner called a fresh rebuld of the engine?!? "I've done the hard stuff." Sez he. I guess he left it for about five weeks after he did it, and let it rust out. "It really needs a good body man. He'll make a ton of money." I don't doubt it. He'll need to spend one point one tons to get it. Oh and thanks for numbering the wires and cylinders for the future troubleshooting, ugh.

Next is the one that got my elbow reaching for my back pocket. Looked like there was some original stuff on this '37.

And for our members not so obsessed with style, but love a lotta functionality, what do you think of this shift lever?

The Crestliner... I look and I see Marilyn Monroe, and I was born in '60! Would that I could. I'm not worthy. Ken Bounds ruined me for this car when he stopped to help me when I figured a way to destroy a coil. Too sharp.

-VT/JeffH

PS. LURKERS, HAVE YOU NO COMMENTS?

PPS. Hold breath. Press shutter. Sorry for the fuzzy's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0572_zpsdcdc888c.jpg (79.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0566_zpsd365e904.jpg (74.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0532_zps45ab6256.jpg (58.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0549_zps314ee9f8.jpg (84.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0570_zps0a308d54.jpg (77.4 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 10-13-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
VeryTangled

Shadetree, there is a part of that show field that I sorta consider a used car lot, and a section that is a living museum. Perspective. I'd guess mine is "wrong."

Aren't the cylinders 1 to 6 on one side? Numbered wrong. Also the car was not starting.

-VT/JeffH

All cleaned up, the water is back on at 12:41 local. I report because I know you care. 22 Hour day!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 10-13-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: water press back up
Old 10-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post

Aren't the cylinders 1 to 6 on one side? Numbered wrong might be why it didn't start?

-VT/JeffH
Numbering correct for 14 cyl.models
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v14.jpg (66.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #14
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Shadetree, there is a part of that show field that I sorta consider a used car lot, and a section that is a living museum. Perspective. I'd guess mine is "wrong."

Aren't the cylinders 1 to 6 on one side? Numbered wrong might be why it didn't start?

-VT/JeffH

All cleaned up: 12:41 local. I report because I know you care. 22 Hour day!

VT,
Caveat emptor! Let the buyer be aware should always apply when dealing with a total stranger. Thank goodness most are honest! I have been very fortunate having dealt with only one shyster in the old car business. I recall watching a transaction for a short moment at the car corral some time ago. The expression on the face of the old man selling the car was of hurt and humiliation. He was letting an old friend go. I would have felt safe buying his car...

I know nothing about a Lincoln V-12 engine, but common sense says the cylinders would be numbered like a V-8. I don't think Henry would have had it any other way. .

Last edited by Shadetree; 10-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Reisterstown Ray

Hi Jeff, Wish I had been there to enjoy the fun. I have seen rain there in years past but nothing like what has been described by you and other posters. What was the asking price for the 1937 black Tudor? I hope to see you Tuesday at the meeting. Ray
Reisterstown Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
VeryTangled

Hi Ray, The windshield on the '37 said 20K. The owner was not present but I spoke with one of his buddies who whispered 16 would do it, and if it didnt sell it was not going back to Ohio but staying in PA for a while. It caught my eye as a time capsule. Reportedly, it has not moved since 1999, it looked like it. I'm not in the market for another car, but we all like to dream. This car seemed to want a good home.

Unfortunately, I am working Tuesday nights so I can't make the RG 36, V8 Club meeting in Sunshine MD (at 7:30pm if i'm right).

-VT/Jeffh

Last edited by VeryTangled; 10-13-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Numbering correct for 14 cyl.models
Here's that same V-14 block before assembly...rare critter! DD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V-14.jpg (304.9 KB, 49 views)

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
V12Bill

V 12s are numbered 2 4 6 8 10 12 on one side and 1 3 5 7 9 11 on the other side. When I wired my Ford v 8 distributor I assumed that they were numbered the same. It was very hard to start that way.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Henry Hopper

Just out of interest, how much was the 35 cabriolet going for?

Very nice looking example....
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
Vic Piano

The firing order for the Lincoln Zephyr and Continental HV-12 is: 1-4-9-8-5-2-11-10-3-6-7-12. The left side plugs are; 1-3-5-7-9-11, that much he got right... Don’t think I would have marked the firing order on the heads but…