Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Bruno

Default Tranny Stop Leak??

Any of you Barners had good results with a transmission stop leak product? If so, please advise make, etc. Thanks!!!!!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Ross6860

Default Re: Tranny Stop Leak??

Not really.

Auto or manual trans?

Not much on "fix-it in a can" (except for SeaFoam), but if you want to try something I would trust Lucas products to at least not hurt anything.

How bad is the leak? Like old Harleys, old cars leak...
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Amen on the leaks. The technology in these old machines goes back before anything was ever considerd to be oil-tight. They were only a few years out of the total loss oiler stage of the game where the oil systems were a controled leak all the time. If they didn't leak it was because there was no oil in there.

The early ford transmissions had little in the way of seal technology. They depended on slinger rings more. When clearances get loose, they drip more. Gaskets & seals wear out eventually too. You can use up to an SAE 140 gear lube in these things but they can suffer shifting ploblems in cold weather with a high viscosity lubricant in there. SAE 90 was the most common gear lube for warm weather operations.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Juergen

Where is it leaking? If it is out of the shafts, clean the ends and apply some Goop, available in hardware and auto stores. It is an adhesive and a sealant. If it is out of the front shaft, it could be an old worn out seal that needs to be replaced. Some early and late front bearing retainers did not have seals but they could be replaced with a retainer that has a seal. I can't see why a properly installed gasket (front, rear or top) would leak.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Talkwrench

I have some Lucas H/D oil stabiliser in mine at the moment and it seems to have slowed the leak a little. I tried it only because I had it, however don't think I would do it again as it certainly didn't improve the shifting as I thought it might. Currently it's has T140 in it as well. It's been a PITA over winter ( we don't have freezing contditions) . With my new radiator it's been running too cool and I have now put a cover over it so it will get to temp, now it does and the shifting is so much better.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
mrtexas

Back in the day no one had a concrete garage floor. Grandpa still had dirt in his garage in 1984 when he died at 94 years of age in western Montana. What's bad about a little oil on the dirt?
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Reisterstown Ray

Nothing wrong with a little oil in the dirt. In fact, after refining it's what we use to keep our old Fords running. RR
Reisterstown Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Ross6860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Back in the day no one had a concrete garage floor. Grandpa still had dirt in his garage in 1984 when he died at 94 years of age in western Montana. What's bad about a little oil on the dirt?
Don't let the EPA hear that...

You will be in irons before dawn.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross6860 View Post
Don't let the EPA hear that...

You will be in irons before dawn.
No worries they are all furloughed!
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
SSsssteamer

The 600W that was originall used in the model A and early V8 transmissions is still available through the parts suppliers and it will stay in place much beter than 90 wt gear lube.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
rotorwrench

600W oil specification was pre-SAE dating back to the steam era of the industrial revolution in the 1870s. Some FoMoCo literaure calls out 600 steam cylinder oil but only up to the model A era. The later era calls out SAE 90 for hot weather and SAE 80 for all other conditions. 600 steam cylinder oil is a rough equvalent to GL-1 SAE 140 gear lube that had additives to take the moisture of steam powered equipment. Steam powered shovels & locomotives were used well after the model A era so the stuff is still available even today but much harder to source in it's original formulation. Most of the stuff sold as 600W gear lube by resto suppliers is not actually the same as the original formula. It can be mixtures of all sorts of products to make a standard gear lube more viscous.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote