Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Differences in original and repop King Pins...

I am looking on how to identify the differences of original and reproduction King Pins (A-3115/A-3116: Spindle Bolts).

Anyone?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Differences in original and repop King Pins...

Steve,
The original Ford kingpins have a Ford script near the middle of the shaft. It can't be seen when installed. I have 2 or 3 sets of NOS Ford kingpins and all have Ford scripts on the shaft. In addition, the ones I have have the small machining raised area with a hole in the top roughly ground off. Most repro kingpins have the machine hole left as it was formed. I am attaching a picture of a NOS model A kingpin (the one on the right marked with an A and K) If the kingpin has a B or 48, it is for a later Ford 32 on up. Note the 32 and later kingpins have the retaining slots cut at an angle whereas a model A kingpin has the slot cut parallel to the face of the upper head.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Flathead

The various repops I have do not have a nicely machined groove for the grease to the bushings. The groove is uneven with rough edges. I have some Ford pins that are like the ones pictured, with a nice clean groove and Ford script. Henry always claimed to have the best quality parts for your Ford automobile.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian

Rusty,
How about a photo of the tops,....like I did for Steve earlier...
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Rusty,

Thanks for the photos...as Dudley says...Can you post one looking at the tops?

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
wrndln

The NOS kingpins are out in my cold barn. I will trudge out there today (0 degrees) and get a kingpin, take a picture of the top and post it. I guess I never though to take a picture of the top before.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
wrndln

OK, here is a picture of the top of a NOS Ford kingpin - the one on the left. The one on the right is an aftermarket kingpin without the machining hole not ground off like almost all of the repro kingpins I have seen. I also noticed that the Ford kingpin had a faint "USA" forged into the back side of the head. I didn't check all of my NOS Ford kingpins, but I believe I have seen the same USA markings on the other ones, but can't say 100% did for sure.
Rusty

Edit: I took a second picture showing the back of the Ford kingpin head to show the USA markings. It is hard to see, but the USA is on the right side U on the top and A on the bottom.

Last edited by wrndln; 12-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Thanks Rusty!
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Phil

Pluck always asks questions I never thought of, but I enjoy the things I learn reading the answers. Keep them coming. Phil
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Brentwood Bob

Good question Pluck, again.......
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
kelley's restoration

i have noticed too that the inside area where the brake actuator rod moves is different on the repo's
on my "how to drop the front of your model a using all ford parts" i had to use original or nos king pins because the repos bound up during actuation
tk
Old 12-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Kevin in NJ

Discussions like this are certainly not a waste of time for those who wish to understand how to properly rebuild their cars. Strange parts exist and it is best to know the how and whys.

There should be important operational questions asked about all the variations including the Ford units.

I used orange/blue box NOS Ford king pins on my car with NOS Ford (not sure the era) push rods. Everything worked fine.

I had a set of modern Bratton's sold push rods and found they did not function properly. While many may just use them as they were, there was an interference issue at the top and bottom. The repro rods are a larger diameter and rub at the top and bottom of the king pin.

So when asking questions about variations it would be important to know the position and diameter of the hole the pin goes through. An aftermarket unit may have a smaller diameter hole and essentially not be functional with some rods. These are issues my brother and I seem to notice and others just put the stuff together without a care so I am not sure how much others care.

Not having much experience with the spindle bolts. The question I have had in my mind is how will they 'function'. By function I mean how well does everything go together. Can you fit the lever housing into the installed pin? Will the push rod possibly hang up due to interference issues?

There are many spindle bolt assembly's out there. Between Ford issue, NORS and modern production. Yes, Ford issue quality seems to vary depending on part and when they were made. Plus I wonder if Ford dealer parts might have been parts with minor issues that would not be used on the line. Some of the later parts were probably made under contract and with different machines then production.

Hope this make sense.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
This is a comment Mr. Wayne McMichael [email protected] wrote to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
"do you really think anyone other than you cares about king pins enough to devote two threads or when an assembly line opened up. It seems you like to see your name on the fordbarn no matter how stupid the subject. Give it up !".

..........................................Pluck

Wayne, not everybody is interested in the same thing and thus this forum provides an opportunity for enthusiasts of the hobby to share their interest with others that have the same interest. If something is posted that I am not interested in then I move on. Hope you continue in the forum and respect others interest that may not be the same as yours.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

That's just a part of the internet. Dealing with the trolls. But they are easily defeated with just a click of the mouse!
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
van Dyck

Also check for pin diameter and for tapered diameters on re-pro pins. Bought two sets from a reputable dealer - three of the pins were either tapered and/or under Ford specified diameter.
van Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote