Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
thom

Default '28 sport coupe, would you or not?

We have owned and driven a '21 Model T Touring for about 3 years. We now have the chance to buy a Model A to drive and to keep the T company in the garage at night. The A is a nicely restored '28 Sport Coupe. We, my wife and I, like the rumble seat cars, but I have never even ridden in a Sport Coupe. Is there any disadvantages or oddities that we should know about? Are they any more or less prone to leak than say a Cabriolet or Roadster? Do the doors and rumble seat tend to sag and get out of adjustment more than "closed" cars? Thanks.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
TerryO

Default Re: '28 sport coupe, would you or not?

I can't speak for a '28 but my '31 Sport Coupe is pretty much leak proof in the rain or when washing.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

Body solid as a rock,as long as the b pillar wood is good (B pillar wood is on the inside of the clamps holding the doors closed)you are golden
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #4
1930artdeco

Size wise the A should be bigger, more power etc. As long as the top is good you will be good and remember if you are caught in the rain...RainX is your best friend.

Mike
Old 09-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Size wise the A should be bigger, more power etc. As long as the top is good you will be good and remember if you are caught in the rain...RainX is your best friend.

Mike
Mike, I own a '15 T touring which is the same body as Thom's 21, ...and believe it or not, there probably is just as much room in the T as there is in the A. The difference is the way you ride. In the T you ride on them, and in the A you ride in them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
WHN

We have just owned Sport Coupes. Our 1929 we have had for 40 years. I think they are great cars. In the summer with the rear window open it’s like a roadster without the sun baking you. You can talk with your rumble seat riders to.

Down side. If you have to replace the top correctly. It’s very expensive. Otherwise solid cars that were a real hit back in the day. They were also one of the most expensive body styles offered by Ford with the Model A. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The tops are decent enough if well cared for. I hope the car has all the original top hard parts like landau bar pieces and that. A lot of them have reproduction items that aren't correct. The upper belt molding that goes around the bottom edge of the top is like gold if it's the original two piece item. There used to be a fellow that fabricated them but the fit looked a bit off on the ones I've seen. I tried to get one from him anyway but he had stopped production.

If the body was restored correctly, the doors will be just like any other coupe model. The trunk or rumble compartment lid should be no problem if it was well fit and restored. The 1928 models had some different materials for the top than were available later but most folks just bought the kits for a restoration so the top material is limited and not particularly correct for any of the cars. LeBaron Bonney used good materials from a wear and tear standpoint. Since they are out of business, I'm not sure what would be available for any future upgrades if ever needed. Card board is used around the sides of the top to hold the shape and it can deteriorate over time if not so well kept. Care has to be taken when cleaning the top too. I think this was the main reason they fell out of favor with buyers over time. They are more difficult to take care of than some.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

thom I think you'll do fine, go for it Sport Coupes are a very desirable Model A. You'll have a lot of fun in a Model A Ford.

And having a Model A Ford to tool around town in will greatly compliment your Model T!

Now let's take it to the next step. Make sure you have a three car garage and go find a 60's muscle car say a Torino or a Mustang (I'm a Ford guy others will say Camaro, Chevelle, etc. and that is fine they are neat cars too) and you'll have the world by the butt cheeks, the fun will never end
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
1928Mik

You got that right Jeff/Illinois!

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

My friend has a 30 Sport Coupe for sale (see Swap Section) that I would buy in a heartbeat if I hadn't just bought a 40 coupe "hot rod" after selling my tudor. Nice cars.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #11
thom

Here's the Sport Coupe I'm looking at. I drove it and it drives nice, runs strong, and stops well. There are a few cosmetic things it needs but overall it appears to be a nice car. There is a bit of extra pinstriping that I don't really care for but I might learn to like it? It is an early '28 with the brake lever next to the driver's door.
I have a few days to the seller know but I think I will buy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190921_163808.jpg (39.4 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by thom; 09-21-2019 at 06:05 PM.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
TerryO

Nice...

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #13
CWPASADENA

Nice Car,

I think you will be very happy with it.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote