Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
fgaller

Default Has anyone heard of the 1940 Ford Coupe with less than 3000 original miles in MN?

Hi all, I was at a car show recently and someone said there was a guy with a 1940 Ford Coupe with less than 3000 original miles up in Northern Minnesota...has anyone heard of this? I know Kube is up that way, maybe it's his?
fgaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Has anyone heard of the 1940 Ford Coupe with less than 3000 original miles in MN?

I was at the ill fated National Meet at Brainard MN, and after the big storm, there was a black 40 coupe on a trailer the owner claimed had just over 3k miles on it that either a small tree or very large branch came down across the hood and damaged it. Due to the chaos, I didn't have time to inspect the car to see if it really looked like a car with that low of miles or not. Maybe Kube has judged it at other meets.
I drove 3 days 1 way to the meet, and 10 minutes after I got to my room the storm hit. It was in the afternoon the next day before crews could cut the 100 or so trees out of the road into the resort so we could get out and come home. Something like 40 cars were damaged including a Merc from a Seattle club member. I have pictures of 3' diameter oak trees snapped off at the ground. I spent less then 24 hours there before I started my 3 day drive back home. Felt very sorry for the club hosting the event.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Jim

Default Re: Has anyone heard of the 1940 Ford Coupe with less than 3000 original miles in MN?

I have just acquired a 40 std cpe with 29,099. It was in stoagge up In Boston, Ma, Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I have just acquired a 40 std cpe with 29,099. It was in stoagge up In Boston, Ma, Jim

Well, are ya just gonna leave us hangin', or are ya gonna post some pix of that jewel? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
qmdv

I was at Ed Winfields house in Las Vegas in 1977 when Kong Jackson bought Mrs Winfields 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe that was very low milage. It had factory leather interior. Man that was a really nice car. He drove it back to glendale and said it purred like a kitten.
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
cas3

cool story, where is it now?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
cool story, where is it now?
I have been told in Florida. In this museum.
https://garlits.com/garlits-museum-video/
Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
I was at Ed Winfields house in Las Vegas in 1977 when Kong Jackson bought Mrs Winfields 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe that was very low milage. It had factory leather interior. Man that was a really nice car. He drove it back to glendale and said it purred like a kitten.

Factory leather interior?

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Factory leather interior?

Sometime in 1939, probably late 39) Ed Winfield and his wife were at some San Francisco car show and the 40 Coupe was there. Something to do with foreign export (may be wrong on that). Well Mrs Winfield really wanted the car and Ed talked to the right folks and they ended up with it.

And yes, it had leather interior. I sat in the car. It was not a standard deal. In 1977 we had a second Winfield Weekend and Kong Jackson bought the car from Mrs Winfield. Kong worked for Ed as a young boy in the shop and she always liked him.

Here is a pic of Kong Jackson, Ed Winfield, and Tim Avery (me) looking at my banger in 1976. Kong is explaining his prototype banger ignition. Notice the 4 cylinder Olds ignition cap.

I will have to find my 1977 pics. I am sure I have a photo of the 40 coupe