Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: 16 inch wheels

I've been toying with the idea of 16" wheels/tires. I have even gone so far as to obtain a set of 16" wheels with 19" centers, just in case I do decide to go that way. I know I can put on studded tires for the winter on the 16 inchers, not so with 19's.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #22
Tiny

Carl
That's some dedicated Model Aing there.
I don't think that John Q Citizen will care if you run 16's 19's or 21's. A lot of people get too hung up on what others will think of their car. Its your car, the only opinion that should matter is yours, well maybe the wifes or the dogs. Looking out for you there Buster !!!
I run 17's. I think they look good and I had them. I considered 16's also, as I have a set of them too. My 19's are in sad shape only really good for rollers.

These are my Kelsey Hayes bent spoke 17's of the car in the garage in the left corner. I now have stock 33-34 straight spoke 17's powder coated black on the coupe
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
newshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
I don't think that John Q Citizen will care...
True. John Q doesn't care. But he can distinguish antique from modern. (He's not stupid.) While he may not be able to articulate why one car looks "antique" and another looks "a little more modern" he still notices and wonders. Here's why:

We all see hundreds of radials every day. They are on every modern car. So when we see one on an antique car, we instantly know it's modern. That starts you wondering if they had those Toyo tires back then. Again, something's "off" but you're not sure what.

But in the end, it's really your choice, and what pleases you is all that matters. Opinions like this probably don't.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Larry, here's an opinion to consider... with 16" wheels you will give up some of the uniqueness of the antique car. Here's why:

When people look at your car, they will instantly recognize the radials as modern. There's no way to change that; it's a fact and it will happen. So as they look over the car, they see mixed messages of "antique" and "modern" and often come to the conclusion that your car is not from the 1920's. There's something "off" about it, and although they can't put their finger on it, they believe this is a modern car. Some think it's a 50's hotrod. Some think it's a modern kit car. But few accept that it is an authentic 1920's car. There are too many mixed signals for the brain to accept. It must be modern.

So if you're okay giving up that uniqueness and "wow factor," the 16's would probably be awesome!
I have to differ with you on that. Very frequently folks will see my 1929 lightly rodded closed cab, mostly looking original, but lowered with 15" wires, black paint, black wheels and tires, often they ask about it, thinking it is an original, restored car. Even most older folks haven't a clue as to what they are looking at. Only us car crazy folks, and mostly only those of us over sixty might know. At least that is my observation.

Personally, I just don't worry what others may think. However, if I was building a car for points competition it would be the exact opposite and everything on a build would need to be focused on the opinion of the judging body and written standards.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinWA View Post
Thinking about putting 16 inch wire wheels on my 29 coupe.
What is a good tire that does not break the bank?
Radials will ride and handle better.
"Good" is a matter of DOING YOUR HOMEWORK and deciding what is best for you.
When I need tires I check what Costco has and compare the same or similar ones at Les Schwab. It depends on the particular tire who is cheaper at any given time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #26
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
My 29 Coupe has 16 inch wires, 7.50 on the back and 6.50 on the front. Doesn't look funny to me. To me fatter tires make it look like it won't fall over in a strong wind.

Looks great to me.

This looks like so many A's when I was growing up in the late fifties and early sixties. 16" wire wheels and sealed beam headlights were the norm for an A still being driven regularly. So many cars that were driven through the WWII had these common modification as a necessity to be kept on the road.

An additional common mod was the use of the more readily available thirties pickup taillight, usually keeping a single light.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
CarlG

A lot of the Model A's in the '50s when I first got mine even had steel wheels on them. I doubt that any of them had the "required" adapter/spacers on them to make them fit up right. If the bolt pattern fit, they got used. The '31 fordor I had back then came with steel wheels. I personally didn't like the way they looked. A friend of my Dad's had a trailer that was built from Model A parts and it had the correct 19" wheels/tires for my car. In fact he had 6 of them, all with tires mounted on them. He was all too happy to trade me (straight across) all 6 of them for the 4 steelies (with tires) that I had. I ran those till I sold the car in 1960.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
A lot of the Model A's in the '50s when I first got mine even had steel wheels on them. I doubt that any of them had the "required" adapter/spacers on them to make them fit up right. If the bolt pattern fit, they got used. The '31 fordor I had back then came with steel wheels. I personally didn't like the way they looked. A friend of my Dad's had a trailer that was built from Model A parts and it had the correct 19" wheels/tires for my car. In fact he had 6 of them, all with tires mounted on them. He was all too happy to trade me (straight across) all 6 of them for the 4 steelies (with tires) that I had. I ran those till I sold the car in 1960.
I agree that a lot of them were run without adapters. I remember riding in a friends Model and having a rear wheel come off while going around a corner. I can't prove it but thinking back I feel this was the reason.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
chiliman

well consider who cares what people think it's your car do what you like and enjoy life is to short Mighty Manfred gets 6.50 's on kellsey hays wide white to And Manfred has got his non stock brass Humming Bird cap on a full back cover of Restorer so I gess Jim Spawn thought he looks all right
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Brother Hesekiel

My '31 came with 16" spoke wheels and 6.60-16 Firestones on all corners. The car rides well, but I personally think the 16-inch wheels give it a flair of Hot Rod. Put 5.50-16s up front and 7.50-16s in the back and you have the classic Hot Rod combo!

I was recently able to buy 4+1 fabulous 19-inch wheels, and I'll convert back to stock very soon.

Radials are a totally different animal entirely. I feel that they are changing the look of the car in a way that doesn't work well with an 80-some year-old car.
Just my 2 cents.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
Purdy Swoft

My first model A had 15 in. mercury wheels and 7.60x15 whitewall tires. I never used adapters, I didn't think that they were necessary and still don't. I liked the hot rod look that it gave the old strip down. The wider tires make a big difference in ride and handling. I do prefer the look of original wheels on most of my model A's. If I found another roadster body, I would run it fenderless with big and little tires on 17 in. 33-34 wheels. Whatever makes the owner of the model A happy is really all that matters .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
I run 17's. I think they look good and I had them. I considered 16's also, as I have a set of them too. My 19's are in sad shape only really good for rollers.
The 17's look great!

Sometimes the 16's look too small on an Model A, sometimes that is. Mainly if a tall tire is not used. Just my opinion and I have put them on a Model A I once owned, so it's not just a keyboard critique.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
silversink

I think the 16s make an A go from dainty looking to tough. It's a modification that is probably the easiest to reverse, do what you want ---I do.
silversink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #34
TDO

There's a couple of guys in my club that are running 215/75R/16 , and there running them tubeless. they look good to me . If your using it as a driver I see nothing wrong with it. I'm running 16 on my 30 coupe and as soon as these tires where out I'll go with them to.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
Tiny

Also forgot to add. The 750 17's in the rear of my car are also the cheapest overdrive I could get..
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
My first model A had 15 in. mercury wheels and 7.60x15 whitewall tires. I never used adapters, I didn't think that they were necessary and still don't. I liked the hot rod look that it gave the old strip down. The wider tires make a big difference in ride and handling. I do prefer the look of original wheels on most of my model A's. If I found another roadster body, I would run it fenderless with big and little tires on 17 in. 33-34 wheels. Whatever makes the owner of the model A happy is really all that matters .
Purdy,

I am glad to hear you did not have problems not using adapters. I have included an article that I wrote for our club newsletter as to why I think you need adapters. After reading it and looking at the pictures people can form their own opinion. I for one use the adapters.

When you install wire wheels (1928-35 Ford and aftermarket Kelsey and Motor Rim and Wheel, I am not sure about AR wheels) you need to use a spacer to make the wheels have full contact (support) and avoid cracking when they are installed. The reason for this can be seen by looking at a Model A brake drum in the first photo. There is a raised area in the center that contacts the wheel when it is bolted onto the hub/drum. This same raised area was replaced with individual cast in/machined raised areas on the late 1931 and 1932-35 wheels (second photo, the exception being that the rear drum in late 1931 retained a cast ring shaped area). The 1940-48 drums were flat in this area as shown in the forth photo. The aftermarket spacer provides the raised surface to firmly seat the wire wheel and the third photo shows this spacer setting on top of the brake drum waiting for the tire and rim to be installed. Check to be sure your lug bolts are long enough to be used with the adapter. These spacers are available from MT Car Products as part # 5000, Speedway as part # 91065470, and Sacramento Vintage Ford Parts as part # 05199-8 as well as many other sources. This addresses the problem most likely to be encountered by the Model A Ford owner but there a few other related problems that might be encountered. Check your mechanical brake drums as some people grind of the ring (or individual cast in raised areas on the later drums) to run solid rims. If you want to run wire wheels on these modified drums you would need a spacer. The opposite problem is encountered when running 1940-48 solid rims on stock mechanical brake drums where a different spacer is required to make up for the fact that the solid rims expect to be mounted to a flat drum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6868.jpg (64.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6858.jpg (58.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7109.jpg (40.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7110.jpg (41.1 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-25-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #37
john in illinois

I have Coker radial 16's on my Tudor. They are the best driving tires that I have tried on my car.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (142.8 KB, 76 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
Jordan

Put 16's on my car last week for a trip to Autumn Trails in Winnsboro, TX this weekend. There were 90 Model A's and a bunch of other old cars. I don't think my car looks half bad... plus I still have the 19's to put back on it if I want to. I have bias ply 16's coming from Coker for the spares, just don't have them yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winnsboro.jpg (54.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg denton.JPG (107.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #39
CarlG

Jordan,
What size 16's did you put on?
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #40
LarryinWA

Thanks for all of the comments. When I bought the car in 1959 it had 16" solid rims with WW and little seal beam headlights so I drove it that way for years. About 20 yrs ago I converted the wheels to 21" BW and correct headlights. In 1962 driving back from Michigan to CA a New Mexico State Patrolman stopped me because he thought it was a hot rod and he did not think I could be going as fast as I was, maybe 50? When he saw the stock 4 banger under the hood he was surprised. I think he just wanted to look at the car!! So to say all of that I will be thinking hard if I want 16" on a driver.
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote