Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
eystein

Default Front seat riser

I recently bought a front seat riser, supposedly for a fixed seat 1930 Cabriolet. I have observed some issues with the fit to the recess of the front cross sill between the two body side sills.

First, the middle section of the riser drops 5/8" lower than the sides (see photo). On an unrestored Cabriolet I have measured this drop to be approx 3/8"

Secondly, the width of the dropped section of the riser is 34 1/2 " wide, whereas the width of the drop of the cross sill between the sides is 32 3/8 "

Finally, the riser has rivets still attached to the mounting surface, which would mean that it has been sitting on a metal rather than wood frame.

In conclusion, I suspect that this is the riser for a Coupe, with metal subframe (Metal subframes are narrower, making the cross sill wider), rather than for a cabriolet.

Could anybody confirm ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drop in riser.JPG (42.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Width of riser.JPG (48.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Riser Side with Rivets.jpg (35.6 KB, 11 views)
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
30cabriolet

Default Re: Front seat riser

I wish that I could help you on this, but I am just finishing an adjustable seat Cabriolet. Have you gotten ahold of the entire collection of Cabrioletters from the Cabriolet Club? The Cabrioletters contain an immense amount of information that will be needed to correctly finish a car.
30cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
eystein

Yes, I have got the entire collection of Cabrioletters, but I have not found any specifics on this topic. Of course, something could be missed from 140 letters on non-searcheable paper format, however, I called the editor and he could not shed any light on the fixed seat configuration.

In general, I find that Bob Johnsons site and this site are better sources of information. Therefore I am posing the question here.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
jw hash

the seat riser you are showing is not correct for the Cabriolet. there was a guy on here about two month ago that is doing a fixed seat Cabriolet and he had a lot of pictures. maybe someone can remember who he is. All three of the ones I`m doing are later with the ajustable seats.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Russ B

My 68A seat riser has a drop a bit less than 3/8". The width of the drop is about 32 1/4," and as you indicated the cross sill is about 32 3/8". So it does sound like it is a piece from a coupe. I just measured my 45A coupe seat riser, and the piece you have would appear to be the same as yours.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote