Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
Hoop

Default Re: Distributor tester who made it ?

Ernie,

I went back and carefully read the thread ... there may be some confusion.

I posted a picture of a Wasco in post #2. (It sounded like it was what he described. I was wrong.)

Lanny posted a picture of Randall's unidentified device in post #6.

If your distributor fixture looks like the one in my post #2, then it is, as you say, a Wasco made in Canada ... but that's not the one Randall is talking about.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Randall Hornback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
I'm sure it is a WASCO I have one just like it. Mine has a gold stick-on label that says it was made in Essex Ontario Canada.
Ernie
Hi Ernie, thanks for the infor. on my distributor tester. So glad someone has one like mine. I have some questions, how many wires does yours have on it with the big clips on them?. Mine has a wire coming off of the pilot lamp, and that is all. Maybe mine has some of it missing. I need some help here. Did you get a book of instructions with yours?.If so could i get a copy of it?. Let me know the cost ok. And if yours has two wires or more on it let me know where they fit ok. Would appreciate.

Randall
Randall Hornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #23
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

.The Distributor fixture with the light on is called a Servex made in Australia.The red one is a KEM .Like Randalls its the same but Red .The one Hoop calls a Wasco is the same as mine but mine is made in Aust and called servex .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010014_1103.jpg (86.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg P1010013_1102.jpg (40.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 09-12-2012 at 01:02 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #24
Hoop

Here is an EXCELLENT picture of the Vane design. Found it on eBay and apologize for posting an eBay ad but cannot copy just the photo. The intent is to further document/identify distributor designs NOT cross sell eBay items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-V8-MERC...item4abbdd87e7
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
Randall Hornback

I am back with the distributor tester that i am trying to get more information on. I do appreciate all the help everybody has giving me at (Ford Barn), the world of Distributor Testers is getting bigger. I am going to try to add a couple of photos showing my Dis. Tester again, this time a photo of the top and one of the bottom. I need to know where the other wire goes, what it hooks to. All help appreciated.

Thanks
Randall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distributor Tester Jpeg 0011s.JPG (27.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Distributor Tester Jpeg 0012s.JPG (26.6 KB, 234 views)
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #26
Hoop

All you need is a battery installed between the clip and the light bulb. You do not show the entire wiring.

The clip is connected to the terminal on the distributor ... depends which distributor you are testing, but ... where the incoming hot wire attaches. The base of the bulb is grounded to the fixture which in turn is grounded to the distributor.

When the points ... either set or both ... are closed the light will come on. When both sets are open the light will be out. To adjust one set of points you must isolate it by slipping a thin piece of card stock between the other set's contacts.

You can check the battery installation by connecting the battery and touching the clip to the device. Light should come on ... (or you have a poor contact.)

If you understand the operation of the distributor, you're in business.

Last edited by Hoop; 09-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
Randall Hornback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
All you need is a battery installed between the clip and the light bulb. You do not show the entire wiring.

The clip is connected to the terminal on the distributor ... depends which distributor you are testing, but ... where the incoming hot wire attaches. The base of the bulb is grounded to the fixture which in turn is grounded to the distributor.

When the points ... either set or both ... are closed the light will come on. When both sets are open the light will be out. To adjust one set of points you must isolate it by slipping a thin piece of card stock between the other set's contacts.

You can check the battery installation by connecting the battery and touching the clip to the device. Light should come on ... (or you have a poor contact.)

If you understand the operation of the distributor, you're in business.
Hi Hoop, thanks for the info. on the hook-up of the Dis. Tester, and battery. I guess the other wire that goes with the tester i did not get. The one that goes to the Dis., does anyone have a book of instructions on this tester, if so what do i do to a copy of it?.

Thanks
Randall
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #28
Hoop

You have everything you need. The battery goes between the bulb and the clip.

See if the wires are really in two pieces already and just twisted together. If not, make up the circuit ... bulb to one battery terminal, clip to the other.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
FlatheadTed

Red distrubtor KEM .

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 09-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
Ed Pitts

"Randall I posted the instructions there 7 posts up"

Ted, you might scan that page into a PDF format. That would make for easier reading.
Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #31
FlatheadTed

OK I will try again .
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
Hoop

Where's Bruce Lancaster? I'm stuck here trying to figure out if there is any connection to the Aztecs. As many of you know, Bruce and I discovered the source of the KR Wilson fixture aboard a sunken German U-boat off the coast of St. Augustine, FL. We may be on the verge of another great discovery.

(Of course, it will all be to no avail after December 21.)

Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
Randall Hornback

Hi Hoop, and i thought back in 1948 when i was a kid growing up i got a pair of Tom Mix spurs that (glowed) in the dark there was nothing bigger. But look what Henry Ford and the flathead V/8 Fords has brought us in 2012. Just over a Distributor Tester to get the points set, and the timing set. Life still has a song and dance in it, and Dec. 21 we will be alright. Thanks for the up-date.

Randall
Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #34
columbiA

Back around 1965 or so,Princess Auto Supply-a large CDN chain,had surplus NOS K R Wilson dist timing fixtures in the original boxes for $10 each.I used it for many years until i sold it several years ago when I downsized & sold the last of my FH V8s.Now I am down to 2 model "A",s. Hoop,Is that some of the rotor wheels out of an Enigma machine?
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #35
Hoop

".... rotor wheels out of an Enigma machine?"

Yes.

Every once in a while a very nice KR Wilson fixture shows up on eBay, but I've not seen any NOS. Most show the signs of a long and productive life. Other designs may work well, but the KR Wilson is the "gold standard" of the static machines.

The flathead distributor has an unearned reputation for being complicated ... an "enigma." Relating the KRW to the famed German cipher machine is unavoidable.

(My wife told me I was wrong about the Aztecs. She said they drove Pontiacs. Never argue with the person who prepares your food.)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #36
Bruce Lancaster

I have a KRW, a late one with the tin box and equipped with the 1942 V8 adapter, that was quite possibly brand new. It had no signe of scratches or anything, though someone had installed a Canadian black iron '42 distributor on it because that matched perfectly visually.
The clincher: It had to be made no earlier than the 1942 model year, and...it contained a pair of 1942 dated D-cells! They were dead, of course, no surprise there, but were in perfect condition otherwise with no leaks or anything...
A long chain of ancient Freemasons led down to Mallory and the Ford distributor, damn near a prototype for the Enigma...

Did you know that Ford had a design ready for a static timing tester VERY like some of the aftermarket ones that was to be welded to the firewall of V8 cars??
It had several clever features, including a new use for the drain hole in the bottom of the distributor.
http://www.google.com/patents/US1963...page&q&f=false
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #37
Teltruck

Flathead Ted:
Would you have the Directions that came with the Red Kem unit? Thanks,
Bob
Teltruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:53 AM   #38
FlatheadTed

Bob the Red Kem belongs to some one else ,not mine ,I don't think he has instructions ,Ted
Old 10-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #39
Teltruck

Ted:
Thanks very much for your comeback!
Bob
Old 10-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #40
Teltruck

Randal:
Did you ever get a copy of the instructions you were looking for? If so, would like to get a copy. Thanks,
Bob