Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Rear Axle Holder Homemade Tools

I just finished making this rear axle holder. This is the third rear axle holder I've made. The first two were left with the customers, as it was their wood. I intended to make just the holder as in the first picture, but as soon as I got that done I figured why not add a handle and lid so I'd have a nice storage box for my Model A special tools, or at least the rear axle tools.

It's 13" wide by 20" long and the sides are made from 2 x 6's. The bottom is 3/4" plywood. I cut a rabbet in the top 3 boards for the lid to slide in. It's plenty heavy to hold the complete rear end and torque tube assembly with no additional support needed for the torque tube. I need to make a plug for the hole to keep the mice out, and after the wood dries for a couple months I might paint it.

I'd like to see what others are using to hold the rear axle during a rebuild.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-06-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Rear Axle Holder Homemade Tools

Tom,
The box you made looks kind of familiar. The setup looks nice. How did you make the 2 1/16" hole in the 2x6 - kind of an odd size? Aren't you still going to have to tie up the driveshaft to something to make 100% sure it doesn't tip over? Did you try a rearend in it? My box was a little longer and still it seemed somewhat questionable for balance. I got the rear spring installed on my rearend and it is ready to install in the chassis.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Steve Wastler

I would guess the hole was made by a forstner bit in a drill press. I forgot to add, looks good and you gotta like the dual purpose now with the lid...
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Rusty Homestead Fl

I like it! Just thinking, casters on the bottom would be nice but would it be too unstable. Maybe put them on out riggers? I'm always rolling stuff around in my garage and rollers would be a good addition for my use.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
gpits68

Red face Re: Rear Axle Holder Homemade Tools

very nice,i like that its in the kitchen,my wife would love that.But honey................Tom has his in his kitchen.
gpits68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Tom:

I must say your wood working looks very good. However, I am not quite sure how you use this fixture. I have a vertical jig I have been using for years. My work bench has a carpenters vice attached to it. I mounted a rotational vice I picked up at a swap meet on a stout board I laminated and added some axle housing grabbers made from spliting a section of pipe in half and welding them to brackets that are screwed onto the vice. The stoud board is secured in the carpenters vice. I work on the rear axle assembly by mounting the right axle housing vertical in the vertical jig. The banjo is next added, then the left axle housing. The vice can easily support the weight of the entire rear axle assembly, including the torque tube. However, I don't add the torque tube until I have the assembly down out of the vertical jig and resting in the horizontal roll around jig.

I can also rotate the metal vice on the vertical jig into a horizontal position for some fine tune cleaning with a rotating wire brush on the end of a long shaft in a drill motor.

Right above the vertical jig I have an electical hoist mounted to the rafters that I can attach to the banjo when it come time to remove the rear axle assembly from the vertical jig.

I will try to dig up some more photos of the jig and post them here. Most of them are posted on the Orange County web site. www.ocmafc.com, in the tech section.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vertical diff jig.jpg (42.3 KB, 155 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Rusty, I used my Starrett 2" hole saw, then I used a drum sander to enlarge it about .071" more.

Tom, I stick the left tube in the holder as in the first picture, I then install the differential/axle assembly, then bolt on the banjo with drive shaft and pinion assembled. After setting the tooth contact to a good pattern I install the right tube.

I used 3 1/8" construction screws, not sheetrock screws to assemble the box. Had I known from the start that I would make an enclosed box, I would have used two 2 x 8's for the sides. Then I wouldn't have had to add the two boards to hold the lid in place. The top board the axle slips into is a 2 x 8.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Roger V

Tom, I don't think there is anything you can't build! So, if 2x8's are substituted, do any other dimensions change such as the 20" length? Would you notch the 2x8's for the horizontal holding piece to be flush? That appears to be double thickness where the hole goes through for strength. Will I need a fork truck to move the weight of the box with tools inside? That was a great engine stand adaptor you made, maybe I should just order the above for Perrysburg's Nat Meeting delivery.............
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Tom Endy

A couple more photos of my rear axle assembly vertical jig and the carpenter's vice.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Removing old axle hsg race.JPG (46.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Right housing in jig.JPG (33.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg setting pinion pre-load.JPG (45.3 KB, 79 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I don't have the KR Wilson book of tools. Does anyone know if KR Wilson made a holding fixture for the rear end? If they did, do you have a picture of it? Thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Frank Miller

Here is one I made sort of modeled from an original. By screwing studs into the plugs or just putting a bolt through and having slots on the bracket so you can angle it in. When the driveshaft tube goes on you might want a support at the end but I think it will hold.