Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
mercman from oz

Default Ford "wide five" Brake Drums

Shown above are some front Brake Drums to suit the "wide five" Bolt Pattern. The top pair are marked 1936. If you look at the one with the red wheel mounted, you will see that the centre extension is much shorter that the ones marked 1936. I know that these "wide five" Wheels were only used between 1936 and 1939. What year is the one with the short extension and what years did they change from long to short? Thanks for your help.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: Ford "wide five" Brake Drums

36 is the only year with the long snout and the 36 spindle to match.

37 to 39 are short and the 39 is a 2 piece hub/ drum. 37 to 39 will interchange
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Huge difference! And the '36 has the circumferential ribs. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
mercman from oz

Thanks for your help identifying these "wide five" Brake Drums. All good information.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
34 GAZ

Don,t forget the drums with the ribs look racy too
34 GAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
GB SISSON

I climbed the ladder into the attic above my upper shop to see what these were. I have always liked the looks of the wide 5s and knew I had a couple up there. Not sure if that's long snout or short, but they are certainly bolt on drums. I like the high dome bolt heads. They look like rivets. Would these go onto most old ford spindles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wi9de 5 right.JPG (114.2 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg wide 5 left.JPG (120.9 KB, 97 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Man, I've lead a sheltered life for sure. Even though, I thought I knew a little bit about old Ford runnin' gear. Now, for the life of me, where the heck did those weird, flanged-hubs come from? Those ain't your every-day '36-'39 drums! Is that early 'house-trailer' stuff? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
GB SISSON

They were probably on a utility trailer I bought many years ago. So it may have been a trailer axle. I certainly never bought a '30s vintage vehicle and don't remember it. I have another utility trailer with wide 5s I will check out tomorrow. Heck, some might have really good drums, but on an old box trailer with lumber stacked on it for drying, who would care?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #9
mercman from oz

To add to the confusion about the varieties of "wide five' Brake Drums, what are these "open" 1936 Ford "wide five" Brake Drums? One person told me that they are called "Rocky Mountain" while another told me that they were called "Spyder". Were early 1936 Fords equipped with these "open" Brake Drums? If you have the "open" type on the rear, should you also have the "open" type on the front, or were they mixed? Can anyone tell me the history and usage of the "open" 1936 Ford Brake Drums. Thank you. Regards Mercman <><
Old 08-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #10
cas3

GB, very common to see model T hubs grafted onto more modern wheels as clincher tires became harder to find in the neighbors junk pile. T's, how ever, were six bolt hubs, and your are 8. so in this case i suspect the home made wagon they were made to fit was some brand x and not ford. whats the back look like?

Last edited by cas3; 08-21-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:10 AM   #11
Tinker

Originally posted 36. anything is possible. Love me a good wide five car.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #12
skidmarks

Never heard of that open drum called a spyder. Spyder hubcaps yes were an accessory.

Open drums like that i always heard called rocky mountain drums and the explanation was it was for better cooling coming down steep hills.

Most of the 32 to 34 ford stuff i have had , had open drums so i dont know how true the term fits.

The 36 open drums.are really cool looking and are fairly rare
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:40 AM   #13
mercman from oz

Can anyone tell me the history and usage of the "open" 1936 Ford Brake Drums. Thank you. Regards Mercman <><
Old 08-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #14
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

To add to the confusion about the varieties of "wide five' Brake Drums, what are these "open" 1936 Ford "wide five" Brake Drums? One person told me that they are called "Rocky Mountain" while another told me that they were called "Spyder". Were early 1936 Fords equipped with these "open" Brake Drums? If you have the "open" type on the rear, should you also have the "open" type on the front, or were they mixed? Can anyone tell me the history and usage of the "open" 1936 Ford Brake Drums. Thank you. Regards Mercman <><
My 1 previous owner 36 in avatar has open drums front and rear. Would have been Canadian built then shipped to New Zealand. Now In US. I am 99.9% sure they are original to car.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
cas3

i have an axle in my junk pile i brought home from Canada with the open drums too. maybe it was a Canadian thing?
Old 08-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #16
cas3

Unhappy Re: Ford "wide five" Brake Drums

i have gotten a couple PM's about my open drums, so i thought i would post this for the historical curiosity. the two open rears, as you see are different. one is one piece, the other has the bolt on drums. sadly, they both have a rusted stuck bearing in the hub, so not usable unless one did the modern bearing conversion that has been brought up here in the past. the one piece drum measures in at .020. looking at this stuff jogged my memory, and these came from an auction in western south dakota. the odd ball front drums with the big fin on them came from canada. any one seen these before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0731.JPG (116.1 KB, 513 views)
Old 08-24-2020, 12:46 AM   #17
Brian

Getting back to posts 6&7, back in the 70's, there was a late 20's Dodge that sat in a shed not far from where I worked, and it had fitted to it V8 wide 5 type wheels, not wooden wheels as it should have. I never checked out how/why this was, but possibly it used the same drums as pictured in the above posts I allude to?
Old 08-24-2020, 01:57 AM   #18
mercman from oz

cas3, thanks for sharing. That rear brake drum on the right is sure different. The ones that I have are the bolted type.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Getting back to posts 6&7, back in the 70's, there was a late 20's Dodge that sat in a shed not far from where I worked, and it had fitted to it V8 wide 5 type wheels, not wooden wheels as it should have. I never checked out how/why this was, but possibly it used the same drums as pictured in the above posts I allude to?

1929 Dodge wheels. I spy those 8 hemispherical bolt heads
Old 08-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i have an axle in my junk pile i brought home from Canada with the open drums too. maybe it was a Canadian thing?
I'm from Canada and have seen a few wide fives over the years. None like those spyder type in the photo. Not even in the 1929 to 1949 Fast Moving Parts catalogue that I can recall.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote