Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Front Motor Mount

Just installed a rebuilt engine, trans and all in between. Put this in as one assembly. All aligned well.

I did not change my front or rear motor mounts(both orig type) as they appeared fine. When I installed the springs under the front motor mount and lowered the front of the engine to sit on the mount ends the springs compressed a bit but there was not enough weight on the mount to push the threaded bolt collar to sit on the cross member. Haven't had a chance to look at it but all the other motors put quite a bit of weight on the front motor mount. It aligns well. The engine looks a bit high in the front(radiator end) as well. I am using an original type mount.

Is this normal? I can push down on the front of the motor and make the mount springs compress a bit. Thoughts?
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
daren007

Default Re: Front Motor Mount

Incorrect springs??
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Bill G

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is a LOT of weight on the front motor mounts or their small springs. I think the nut on the base of the front motor mount yoke is intended to pull the front of the motor down into place. If it is too high up, the door for the hand crank won't line up and allow you to use the crank. Also, my car had old repo springs that were too stiff. I replaced them with proper springs. The bad ones are ganged together and resemble a pair of bee-hives.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Mike Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is a LOT of weight on the front motor mounts or their small springs. I think the nut on the base of the front motor mount yoke is intended to pull the front of the motor down into place. If it is too high up, the door for the hand crank won't line up and allow you to use the crank. Also, my car had old repo springs that were too stiff. I replaced them with proper springs. The bad ones are ganged together and resemble a pair of bee-hives.
Yes. Those old, era aftermarket front mount spring assemblies are too stiff, and so the hand crank will not line up with the front pulley when inserted through the hand crank guide over the front axle. The current original type front motor mount spring assemblies offered by vendors work well.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Yes. Those old, era aftermarket front mount spring assemblies are too stiff, and so the hand crank will not line up with the front pulley when inserted through the hand crank guide over the front axle. The current original type front motor mount spring assemblies offered by vendors work well.
The springs that were in the front motor mount kit from Bratton's will not work at least for me,too stiff and would not compress enough to even get the nut on the bottom to start.Someone mentioned Bert's knew what was going on with this and had the correct springs.I figured like everything else it would be the same springs but they were not,slightly shorter and wire diameter slightly smaller,they said that they were closest to Ford blueprint and they worked great.Everything I have gotten from Bert's has been good either new parts or used original.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Mulletwagon

Just curious. Assuming the engine is a replacement and not the original. Does your rebuilt engine have a serial number in the customary place ?
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote