Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Paint colours

I have a friend who is rather taken by the clours he saw on a Model A roadster a while ago and wants to do his car the same. I know the said car and the colours were Chickle Drab and Copra Drab. (I like that combo too.)
My friend is using a 2K paint system. Can anybody help with formulas or anything to help him at least get close to the correct colour please?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Paint colours

I believe MAFCA has a book on paint colors, it may include colours as well? It may be of help to you???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Jim/GA

The MAFCA Paint & Finish Guide book is bilingual. It has 1"x1" paint sample chips of all Model A colors and colours.

But it has no paint codes. The paint manufacturers keep changing their systems, making paint codes that used to work obsolete with time. Plus, I know for a fact that there are a few paint codes floating around that are just wrong (by accident, I'm sure). Two of them are the Copra and Chickle Drab being asked about.

You can have the chips of the colours you like in the book scanned by your paint supplier and they can custom mix to match that colour. You spray a test panel to make sure they got it right before you start spraying the car body.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
The MAFCA Paint & Finish Guide book is bilingual. It has 1"x1" paint sample chips of all Model A colors and colours.

But it has no paint codes. The paint manufacturers keep changing their systems, making paint codes that used to work obsolete with time. Plus, I know for a fact that there are a few paint codes floating around that are just wrong (by accident, I'm sure). Two of them are the Copra and Chickle Drab being asked about.

You can have the chips of the colours you like in the book scanned by your paint supplier and they can custom mix to match that colour. You spray a test panel to make sure they got it right before you start spraying the car body.

Thanks for that, Jim. I'm not familiar with the book and my friend is not a member of MAFCA so I expect he couldn't obtain one. I appreciate that tinting codes change regularly (why can't they just leave things alone??). That's why I asked this question in a new thread after I found that what little information I could fing in a search was quite dated.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Jim/GA

You do not need to be a member of MAFCA to buy this book. Many of the well-known (all of the well-known?) Model A parts suppliers carry it. Or you can purchase it directly from MAFCA.

I recently helped someone that lives in Switzerland with this same question. He had the book added to a parts order that we was placing with a company in the US.

Or see if you can borrow a book from someone nearby that has one.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
Brace Bailey

I purchased a copy of the book when I started my project. I see that it has Chicle Drap and Copra Drag (on the same page). We found that the chips really changed when viewed outside under sunlight.

Took the chip we liked to the paint shop and they scanned it - we absolutely love the color they mixed. Considering the cost of Paint and clear - the book is well worth the cost.

I found an old chart (2004) that said Chicle Drab was for 1930-31) and was
DuPont B8854. Or PPG 91.

Copra Drab 1928, 30, 31 was DS094 and 440 for PPG.
A good paint shop is worth a bundle for color mix, supplies and knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE7FFC36-2A6A-46D7-AFC2-683ADC511E5B.jpg (33.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg B792A490-AD0F-44C2-9352-47C1800EAA1F.jpg (61.5 KB, 18 views)
Brace Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote