Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
cjkohnast

Default How long ?

How long you been doing this? I started buying model a and model T cars an parts in 1953. Back then when I needed a part I went to the Ford dealer.
cjkohnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
NCRebel

Default Re: How long ?

As a newbie to Model A craft, I started working on the one in my care 5 years ago. Parts are available to me at the local parts store and on line.

I've worked on other cars since 1970 when muscle cars ruled the road. I like this direction better.
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

1966. First Model A: 1931 Coupe.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
JaxFLG8r

I've been around Model A's, since I was a baby, and I am in my 5th decade. Have pictures of me standing on the running board, at ages 3-7, from various shows around the south. Dad had a Standard Roadster in the Garage, along with most of the parts for a Roadster Pickup in my growing up years. Avoided the Model A in my younger days to work on muscle cars, Jeeps and other toys.

Got back into Model A's later in life, and have been putting together the late '31 Roadster Pickup with my father and adult son. Almost finished, and hoping to get it out on the roads soon.
JaxFLG8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
jimalabam

Bought first Model A in 1964, three years to restore to factory condition. See my avatar...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
barnstuf

September 1928, I was a child and remember well when Dad traded in his 1926 Model T Sedan for a brand new 1928 Model A Fordor. I have lots of memories of the "A" which he kept until 1933, and I knew I would have an "A" when I got older.

It came to pass in 1937 when I bought a 1930 Coupe with a homemade wood box body where the trunk had been. It cost $10, ran well, and because I was too young for a drivers license I paid fifty cents for it to be delivered from Chickie Clarks junkyard in Chatham, about 25 miles. As my hometown had no police department it became a woods road driver with never a problem.

1939 sold Coupe at a profit, got 1931 Fordor, another $10 car, still just used on back roads.

February 22, 1941 acquired a real nice 1930 Coupe I still own today, sold the Fordor. The Coupe has been continuously registered and used since 1941 except for my WWII service time.

1947 made my first parts buyout from a Ford dealer. You guessed right, it was Model T parts they were getting rid of. I have made numerous Ford dealer parts buyouts over many years, the last being all V8 parts in 1998.

Most of the genuine Ford parts acquired over the years have been sold, but not quite all. Quite a few buyouts were Model A parts. In one particular buyout the Ford dealer had passed on, had a warehouse with parts and interesting used cars he had taken in trade. There were 14 cars ranging from two Model T's up to a 1965 Mustang Convertible, and 12 pickup truck loads of V8 parts. All is history now.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Keith True

I was given an A by my uncle when I was about 12.It was a coupe with a box in the back.I used it,then put a closed cab on.Then,I put an open cab on.I'm still driving it.When I was about 14 an A restorer took me with him for some parts,I believe it was Barnstuf's place.I remember fenders hanging on the cellar walls.The guy that took me there was very encouraging about me playing with the A,and warned me that some of the old A guys were going to treat me like crap,and would try to swindle me out of my stuff.Most were fine,but the ones that either robbed me or tried to really stand out.I learned fast.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
jhowes

My first A was a 31 coupe that I bought in 1951 for $65.00 . Over paid for that baby but I ran the wheels off of it. Restoring a Model A at that time seemed crazy because they were just a cheap used car. We just wanted it to go, stop, and steer. Today my A is pampered like it was delicate but it still gets a lot of miles on it. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
JDupuis

My wife suprised me with my first A in 2005 for my birthday. It been life in the slow lane ever since. . Jeff
Old 01-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
September 1928, I was a child and remember well when Dad traded in his 1926 Model T Sedan for a brand new 1928 Model A Fordor. I have lots of memories of the "A" which he kept until 1933, and I knew I would have an "A" when I got older.

It came to pass in 1937 when I bought a 1930 Coupe with a homemade wood box body where the trunk had been. It cost $10, ran well, and because I was too young for a drivers license I paid fifty cents for it to be delivered from Chickie Clarks junkyard in Chatham, about 25 miles. As my hometown had no police department it became a woods road driver with never a problem.

1939 sold Coupe at a profit, got 1931 Fordor, another $10 car, still just used on back roads.

February 22, 1941 acquired a real nice 1930 Coupe I still own today, sold the Fordor. The Coupe has been continuously registered and used since 1941 except for my WWII service time.

1947 made my first parts buyout from a Ford dealer. You guessed right, it was Model T parts they were getting rid of. I have made numerous Ford dealer parts buyouts over many years, the last being all V8 parts in 1998.

Most of the genuine Ford parts acquired over the years have been sold, but not quite all. Quite a few buyouts were Model A parts. In one particular buyout the Ford dealer had passed on, had a warehouse with parts and interesting used cars he had taken in trade. There were 14 cars ranging from two Model T's up to a 1965 Mustang Convertible, and 12 pickup truck loads of V8 parts. All is history now.
Interesting story, Barnstuf.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I got my first model A in the spring of 1960 , I turned 14 near the end of that year . The car was a junked strip down with 4 flat tires .
I bought the model A for eight dollars . A friend towed it in for me with her 49 olds . By the time we made it in , all of the flat tires had came off the rims . The neighbors were pointing and laughing at me . I hid it at my aunt Grace and uncle Rays place because my dad would not have liked my dragging home such a piece of junk . I didn't know anything about model A's at the time . It took a while but with the help from some older guys and a few parts from Warshawsky and JC Whitney we brought it back to life . After all these years I've still got it . I call it my september 29 because that is what the motor number indicates . I now have a few other model A's and parts but my september 29 is still one of my favorites .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 01-11-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: corrected a mistake
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkohnast View Post
How long you been doing this? I started buying model a and model T cars an parts in 1953. Back then when I needed a part I went to the Ford dealer.
I started around the early 50's also. The one black and white picture is what I did with my CCPU my cousin gave me and the color picture is what I did to the chassis in 2009.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03aUntitled-Scanned-17.jpg (72.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7605a.JPG (164.9 KB, 23 views)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #13
700rpm

Bought my first car in 1961 when I was 16, a 1929 Tudor from the original owner. Still have it.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
Fullraceflathead

I bought my 1928 Roadster Pickup in 2014 but I've known about it in storage for 40 years.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
1928Mik

Been a car nut all my life. My Dad always had A's of one kind or another. His last car was a '28 Phaeton which I now have. I've gone thru the sports and muscle cars, but have always loved the simplicity of the A's.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
wingski

You’ve done it again. Another memory just flashed back like it happened yesterday.

I was a pretty strong kid even though I wasn’t that tall, and a lot of that strength came from having to push my ’31 coupe back home after Mr. Church, Milwaukie, Oregon’s only cop, stopped me and made me push it home. He’d take the key and give it back when I pushed the A into our drive-way. He loved doing that and from 1957 to 1959, he watched me like a hawk.

God, I miss those times,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #17
ursus

I was drawn into the hobby by a neighbor back in the early 60's. He had started an A and T parts business by buying up old stock from auto parts stores. Most were happy to liquidate the old stuff and his inventory was acquired on the cheap. Space was limited and a mass of NOS sheet metal was hung from the rafters with rope in such quantity that it was a hazard. How many A and T fenders can you hang from a 20 foot 2X4 before it breaks?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #18
old car guy

A 1923 tall coupe that had only the lower half of the motor but the straightest body of any car I have owned since. Kept them for awhile and had to sell to buy the next phase of my life a 1933 Chevy master eagle sedan .why who knows
Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
davehc

Been hooked on them , liked them , wanted one , since I was three years old ,when my dad had one that I remember riding in . Took till six years ago to actually get one after many other cars . Just love the body style .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #20
rocket1

1961,got parts from junk yards,all the yards are long gone.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote