View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 08:30 PM   #120
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

AND.... Today being a weekend, Saturday I got the 4 speed bolted up to the six and today I cranked up the engine/trans with my 5 ton Beebe Brothers hand crank winch and rolled the chassis underneath and lowered the assembly onto its mounts. FUNNY, I always thought those forward holes were for the SIX, but my H dropped right into the same engine mount holes as the V8. Maybe the G needed those forward mount holes. I do know for a fact that I will need to move the rad support forward to the six cyl mount rad holes and I do have a shroud/ hood latch assembly made for the six. I think it will all go quite seemlessly. I have never had a flathead six, but from what I read they have the low end torque and the V8 beats them at 75 mph plus. This 40 mph island is all about steep hills, and I LOVE the T-8 / T9 crash box transmission. Some of you know I did a very similar tonner PU 2 years ago with a cummins diesel and a GM sm465 granny low 4 speed. While synchro in 3 gears, the GM tranny is a bear to shift. The Ford's crashbox, once you get used to it, glides into every gear like silk. Can't wait to drive a low end torque six, mated to my favorite transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Six with trans.jpg (160.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Six in place.jpg (148.0 KB, 250 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote