View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #86
Tim Ayers

Default Re: First Flathead Build

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I'm no expert, and I'm sure having one honed with a toque plate gives piece of mind, but he simply doesn't have one. I trust him based on feedback from those that have used him in the past and I'm comfortable with any potential risk. I found this post here on HAMB, but I'm sure there are others that say the opposite.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...gines.1055001/
I'm no expert either, but I rely I expert opinions. Different builds may require different tools. My motor is at 3 3/8" +.030. That is a big bore. A flathead deck is thin and there is no doubt in mine or my builder's mind that a bore that big with a deck that thin it needs a torque plate.

I pulled a quote from the the thread you copied. I feel a flathead block falls into the same category as a Ford 302 block in terms of this.

Think about it. There is a reason why Ford added 3 more studs to the block when it went to 239 c.i. A cast iron head clamping down on that deck with one big hole and many smaller holes on a thin casting is going to move.

from what I have seen the lighter the block the more it needs a plate. A 302 ford will move enough to mesure but a big block 460 its hard to see. The ones I did we bored without the plate on a rotler bar then put the plate on the 302 pulls around the head bolts about .0015ish big blocks you could berly get .0002
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote