View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
31Tudor

Default Re: Starting dormant engine

You are not going to be able to turn the oil pump through the distributor hole. There is a drive gear between the oil pump and the distributor, that runs from the camshaft. Without the camshaft turning you will not be able to turn it as you mentioned. What you could due is turn the engine over, quite a few times and that would draw oil up into the valve chamber and start to flow down into the bearings before you actually start it.

You could also drain the oil, 4 quarts will come out. One quart will stay in the rod dipper tray. Put a couple quarts in the oil fill tube and then pour 2 quarts down the hole of the distributor, with the distributor out. This will put oil into the chamber to drain into the bearings as well.

I think I would check for spark as the engine is, before I started replacing parts. You don't know if the other coil is good either. Check for power to the junction box, switch, coil, points, and then from the coil to distributor wire, grounded as you turn it over. that wire should spark an nice spark to a head nut. Then you know you have power and spark, at least to the plugs.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote