View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Default Re: First Flathead Build

Going just by the heads and water pumps and crank pulley, it's a truck engine (RT-means truck), but that doesn't mean anything with this series motor. Parts get mixed and matched over the years.

First suggestion is to get a good book about these engines. One of the many examples is Tardel's & Bishop's great book. It has an excellent chapter about tear down.

Since you are not familiar with these, take plenty of picts and clearly label what and where you took parts off from.

My best advise is to go slow, use PLENTY of penetrating oil before turning any bolt and either purchase or borrow the proper tools to remove the valve train.

Put a bunch of cardboard & newspaper down under the motor for tearing one down in a messy job.

Regarding stuck pistons. I've had good luck squirting a 50/50 mix of ATF & acetone into the bores 2x or 3x's a day. Work the crank bolt back and forth each time. If that doesn't free it up, I've used a piece of wooden baseball bat blank to knock the pistons out.

Once torn down, it will need to be pressure tested first. If that checks out, have it cleaned and then mag tested. After it passes these two tests, you're good to go with the rebuild.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote