Thread: steering sector
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
pinball73

Default Re: steering sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I have yet to hear of any poorly made 7 tooth parts, there are only 2 adjustments to make, there are shims in the lower housing to remove the play in the bearings top and bottom of the worm gear, the other is the screw that keeps the sector shaft from moving back and forth.

If you did replace the bearings you would have had to re shim the lower housing, assuming the bearings removed were factory original as the replacements are thinner.

When I rebuilt mine I did not see any reason to replace the worm gear, I assembled the box and tested it on the bench, having the sector shaft clamped to keep it from turning and the steering wheel installed I ended up with 1 inch of play.

To my dismay after reinstalling the box I ended up having 2-3 inches of play, that's when a member here advised me about the clamp bolt, it took a considerable amount of force to clamp down on the sector arm, I regained the 1 inch of play.

Keep looking, Regards Brian.
when I rebuilt the sector it did not require shims! with the steering shaft installed in the housing & the lower end plate installed there was no play or slack in the worm gear, up & down or top to bottom. when the cross shaft was installed in the case without the side plate with the adjustment in it was installed you could see the slack between the two gears! not much, but it was there. when you amplify that slack to a 21" steering wheel is when it shows up. I even went so far as to remove the thrust washer from between the cross shaft & the case, for trial purposes & I still had the small amount of slack between the two gears! it really does not seem possible! but if it can happen it will happen to me!
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote