View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
nkaminar

Default Re: Considering buying a T

I have also always been a Model A person. I wanted to buy a Model T in high school. It was for sale for $150 and pretty much stock. I would guess mid 1920's. But my father said no. He had experience with Model T's and knew they could be dangerous. He lost an axle or gears on a down grade in LA with his parents in the back seat and had to head for a curb to stop. I kind of agree with him that it can be dangerous car.

Fast forward to about 12 years ago when I had the money to buy a 1915 Model T touring car. I bought it because I had never owned one and wanted the experience. I put a lot of work into the that car, basically increasing the value twofold. One of the first things I did was put working brakes on the rear wheels so that I would not have to depend on a connection between the transmission and rear wheels. I really enjoyed that car and drove it all over the south east. But eventually I had enough experience and sold it to buy another A. If I had the money and space I would have kept it.

The A is a modern car compared to the T. It has a real transmission and 4-wheel brakes. Plus a steering box. The T had a steering setup more like a gokart. The transmission brake is almost useless. Coast to a stop then apply the brake. The ignition system is from another era. But that is part of the charm of a T.

A comfortable speed is 35 mph and maybe 40 on a 4 lane road that is flat and straight. It cannot go on the highway. Although people build speedsters that can do 70 mph but you will never catch me riding in one.

If you can afford it and have the room, I recommend owning a T and an A. A 1915 Model T or earlier will get you into the Horseless Carriage Club tours which are a blast because of the variety of brass cars. Even an occasional Stanley Steamer.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote