View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #16
IronTrap

Default Re: Saving The 1939 Mercury Coupe From The Rust Lagoon

Thanks for the share guys! This car has sat in this spot since the 60's and many of my older friends have been after the car their entire lives! At this point many of them are too old to take it on and I have enough piss and vinegar in me to give it a go! Surprisngly the car 6" up is SUPER SOLID. I look at it this way.. it's easy to make flat panels like floor pans and lower patches. It's the stuff like tops of fenders/front nose area, etc. that is really challenging and all of that on this car is very solid.

I know this is a restoration based forum, but I think this car is a good candidate for an early style Custom. I think mother nature has done part of the work of removing the floor to channel and section it. Haha. I plan to document taking this car through the entire process and try and show the younger guys and beginners with a low budget what can be done with enough time and energy.

Much like any early Ford that has a cult following; the 39-40 Mercury is a car many lust after and can't afford. This one deserves to me put back on the road I think.

I am 100% new to these early Mercury's so I really need to do some research to learn what to look for part number wise and such at flea markets and such. I'd like to find a few things I'm missing or are really bad that I'd like to save time making from scratch.

I plan to brace the body and pull it from the frame after Hershey. I hope to find myself an affordable 39-40 Mercury frame to start with as I assume this one is toast underneath where it was sitting in the mud.

Thanks for all of the support! I'm trying to keep the hobby alive and bring exposure to the younger crowd through Youtube as it has become modern day TV for most.

-Matt/ITG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39x2.jpg (91.7 KB, 407 views)