View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1930 Ford Model A 4Dr (Inherited Don't Know Much - HELP)

That one appears to be a 170B Briggs fordor sedan. The reason that they are somewhat rare is that the fordors use a lot of wood inside and this makes them more difficult and expensive to restore. Many folks interested in Ford Model As look for the usual roadsters, coupes, & phaetons but they are all wonderful old cars. Some are just more popular than others.

Yours looks to have been restored somewhere in the 60s/70s/80s period. It has the usual changes seen in many restored cars like the float a motor kit, 4-blade fan, and sealed beam headlamps, etc.. It's not uncommon for these cars to have been restored several times in their existence.

Clean yours up and get it running. This would go a long way toward getting a better sale price. I'm not sure if Ray of Ray's Model A in Cibolo is still around but he does work for a lot of the Alamo A chapter people here in the San Antonio region. Many restoration guys are booked up in advance but I used to get some parts from him now and then. Parts can be ordered from Bratton's or other vendors so you don't have to venture out if you do any mechanical work yourself.

If the interior is decent and the wood is still holding things together then you have a jewel in the rough there. Sentimental value can go a lot farther than actual value and it generally boils down to what folks are willing to pay for a car as to what it's worth. I would say post #5 is pretty close if you can't clean it up better and make it more presentable. There are a lot of things folks can't see like condition of the brakes, steering, suspension, and drive train condition. A running car will allow that stuff to be checked out by a potential buyer.

Welcome on the barn and to the wonderful world of Model A Fords.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote