View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #82
VeryTangled

Default Re: 2014 Gettysburg Meet Photo Thread

Sorry for double posting more than one photo. It's been a hectic week. I'll get back to the photos next post so skip along if you like!

Okay the bitch mode just might have come back... <ducking>

#12 Zeke, Trailers??? I drove through he field, I think it was Wednesday, and counted 86! Before the meet my butt was puckered that we wouldn't have enough space, but we coulda handled an easy twenty more. BTW there was security there each night! Kudos to the 'Barners who selected the site!

A thought on some of the cars and people that intersected throughout the week. At Prueitt's shop there was a spectacular car, I think an '03 Cadillac, that was in for a new upholstery job (shout out to Scott who also did the top on our Phaeton). At the AACA Museum, just one of the awesome cars, was an '03 Ford that was almost a dead ringer for the Caddy. I know why, but it was neat.

We also saw an engine from Prueitt's in the AACA Museum's ''local chapter" room. An ENGINE was being used as a yearly award. I've never this room open before, or never found it, and I've been there four times in the last year! There were windshield cards from the old days, Glidden Tour stuff, local club show plaques for twenty years, and a bunch of aerial shots of the Hershey meet over the years. Great stuff.

I took one of the Docents for a spin around the parking lot and he showed me the barn where the overflow cars are! He spotted my fender skirts when I drove up, eagle eye, and commented how he was a big fan. I didn't have them on Sunday but was able to pop over to Dad's house on Monday and pick them up.

There were things we saw at EMMR that we crossed paths again with at Hershey.

At Bad Donkey we saw cars that would show up at the Concours!

#17 Brendan, I know you would have loved to come, but life happens man. I'm thinking of you and your truck as I'm posting all of these! Hey, where do you keep the keys?

#23 The Red '37 Station Wagon. OMG What a story. All this is third hand gossip, but here's my story. A lovely couple, wife described as '80's, DROVE this to the show, a significant amount over 125 miles. The night they arrived, hubby had a health event. Needless to say they couldn't pay attention to the car. But the way I heard it some good Barners/V8 Club Members made sure the car was covered at night (it rained twice during the evenings), put on the show field, and even hauled back to it's home garage after the show, so the family could, well, you know, do what they should do rather than worrying about a silly Station Wagon. Good people are still out there. This was an exceptional car IMHO, I hope the future is good for its owners, and selfishly, for the car too. A real beauty just the way it is, but, potentially, a Pebble Beach quality car, it is that sound. It ended up winning an award, not sure for what, but most cars do anyway. Both a happy and sad story, on many levels, all in one.

#44 Vic, I swing both ways. It's pretty awesome to crawl under a '36 Coupe that looks as nice as, or nicer , than it came off the assembly line. My car is mostly original but has been restored once and I sure love it. I love the Rouge maybe the best. But the right hotrod can get my blood pressure up as I posted from the NSRA meet.

#47 Zach, I'm sorry I was so distracted the four times I ran across you on Wednesday. Man I hate it I can't be in York Springs Saturday! Let the dirt/dust/mud fly!

#48 JM 35 Sedan said: "I think many of us prefer seeing the survivors in their original patina, as much, if not more than a high point restored show vehicle." X2

#49 Vic, Room rates... True story. I was at the front desk today, after our checkout time, that is, after 12:00, and there was a guy trying to rough up, get this, the Front Desk Manager, for a lower room rate. He had a good story, but the Manager was coming back to each comment. They guy was whining about a $189 room rate and how he brings enough business to get a decent break on the regular deal. I had to wait while the second person at the desk was working on a mini-crisis, and all I wanted was some change, so I stood there for about three or four minutes. The Manager satisfied the guy with a $169 rate and the geek was happy.

Our rate was $127! <bast_rds get another $14 in taxes so a $127 rate is really $140.97, it adds up quickly>

I'm not saying it was cheap. I split a room and my bill was a biscuit over $350 plus the $20 I left for housekeeping. I'll admit that hurts not just a little, but I'd also say we got a deal on an extremely nice Hotel. My room was cleaner than any room I've stayed in in the last two years. It was a nice place. I liked the towels.

The housekeeping let me peek in the big suite near our room and, let me tell you, there was a shower area, no a room, that, well if it was a VW Beetle, I'da liked to see how many people could get in there if you get my drift!

There was a weekend crowd coming in for a Lacrosse tournament and I'm pretty darn sure that those folks are getting fleeced vs. the V8'ers.

And #58 Vic, You seem to like to discuss the V8 Club, but are you a member, or maybe sometime in the past, but not currently? I don't know if there is a history.

As I've said in my long postings today, the V8 club is not without flaws, it's run by Committee for goodness sake so that is the stroke of doom. But I'm sure you know I have a great deal of admiration and fondness for you. We have shaken hands more than once, so please don't take this as me coming down on you like a ton of bricks.

The only way to get them to change is get in there and push a little. I wouldn't blame you at all if you didn't want to try, heck I sure can't at the stage of life I'm at, but, if you/we/I didn't then we'll never know if they'll come around to accepting an electric fuel pump without it being, tip of the hat here, hidden in such a way that it could fool 100 out of 100 judges.

As for holding the meet over a weekend. I've been 'at the meet' from Friday to Friday (I had to skip out to work on last Saturday), so that's a span of eight days.

I didn't even scratch the surface of what Gettysburg and surroundings have to offer. I saw more than one flathead on the Battle fields today, Friday, the day after the meet ended.

More photos to come.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)