View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #154
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

With work getting busier all the time, I have not done too much on the woodie this week. Yesterday while working on the mainland I picked up a driveshaft and transmission yoke for the 3 speed trans that Stu is shipping to me. This was a timely 50.00 CL find. In today's mail I got NORS valves and guides for the engine from Bob Selzam in New Jersey. They were all wrapped in dark brown waxed paper and smelled like pine tar. This afternoon after work I jacked up the front of the woodie, placed jack stands under the axle, pulled the front wheels and prepared to remove the front clip. I have decided not to build and fit the doors until the engine and transmission are installed. I have found that door gaps etc can change when the frame settles. The other reason is after it runs, I can drive it in and out of the shop on sunny days this spring. My shop is unheated and poorly lit. Gloomy, you might say, particularly in the winter weather of Western Washington. I guess what I'm saying is work is progressing, but the wood body isn't going to change a lot for a while as I continue to work on the mechanical aspects. I bought a tube of black sikaflex polyurethane marine sealant to test on my goodyear rubber roof samples in an attempt to give it an old fashioned roof texture. Stay tuned.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote