View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #24
dropacent

Default Re: Who designed he Model T engine

Royce has told the correct K history in two paragraphs , IMHO . From my personal knowledge , there is likely not a K running today that hasn’t had the transmission totally remade or rebuilt. Many found through the years had other transmissions grafted into place, to keep them on the road. The F was a 2 cylinder, 12 HP auto made at the same time , and the K transmission is just about the same size. The F transmissions did not hold up well, either. The F sold out in a year, and it took FoMoCo 4 or 5 years to get rid of the K production. Sure, they had grandiose plans for the K, and since the Dodge brothers were large shareholders, and the largest supplier to the company, they forced the purchase of 1000. In the end, they sold them with stripped down bodies to get rid of them. There has recently been a lot of revisionist history put out by a non neutral person that has never been challenged by any historian. This is my opinion, the K is a grand car, but was a flop when new. I believe Henry never wanted anything to do with another 6 cylinder car. ( and he didn’t )
dropacent is offline   Reply With Quote