View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #20
FortyNiner

Default Re: The Case of the Gasping Flathead

Episode Two: Return of the Rumble

In today's episode our hapless poser mechanic is baffled by the disappearance of the problem he whined about in the first post. After reinstalling the air cleaner housing, the flatty fired up repeatedly without any issues. Prompting our non-hero to loose the dramatic exclamation of, "Huh".

Prior to this development, I did put a vacuum gauge on and found the idle reading of a steady 17 with revs showing a quick drop to 13 before returning to 17. This was with the cleaner completely off the carb. Reinstalling the cleaner assembly didn't change the readings.

So, on the original issue, again I'm clueless. I tried to recreate the problem by moving things into different positions. Nothing. I looked for interference points with the choke and linkage. Double nothing. Vacuum lines? Nope. Conclusion? User error.

Having demonstrated my lack of mechanical chops, I am most interested in reaction to the vacuum readings. They looked like this in real time:

https://youtu.be/pSaWAsctLlY

I also need to work on my movie making skills.

Still shot and view underneath the housing showing absolutely nothing causing any sort of problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190819_153957693.jpg (44.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190819_155124727.jpg (33.2 KB, 55 views)