View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #37
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Shop led lighting

My garage had 22 standard 8ft fluorescent fixtures, and dad's garage here had the 8ft high output fixtures with the different ends on the bulbs.

I decided to convert all of mine to LED, and since I already had the fixtures mounted, I opted for the conversion bulbs. I got them from Amazon. They were VERY easy to do. All you do is hook them straight up to 120V. Clip the wires off the balast, and hook the black 120V wire to one side of the bulb, and the white to the other... and you're DONE.

The LED bulbs do a much more efficient job at converting electricity to light, so they are a LOT brighter, and put off a lot less heat. They also come on no matter how cold it is! Instant full brightness!

At dad's the fixtures were further apart and higher up, so I used the bulbs that have TWO rows of LED's. FAR brighter in the garage now! Can't say enough good things about the LED lighting... Nothing short of a complete revolution in lighting!

As for 'color'... 5k bulbs are white with no blue. 6k bulbs are daylight with a tinge of blue, and anything above 6k is a little bluish. The lower the number, the more yellow, and the higher the more blue.

One more thing... You can get bulbs with clear or frosted covers. With the clear covers, you can see each individual LED, while the frosted covers look more like a conventional fluorescent. I have some of both, and can see no difference in light output, but you do not want the clear covered bulbs where they are directly in your vision. The frosted covers are a LOT easier on the eyes. I wouldn't use the clear covers unless the bulbs were far overhead... and the frosted covers would still be fine there.

Good Luck!
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote