View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
RPS

Default Is this the right carb for my '55 T-Bird?

I've got a 55 T-Bird that was left to me by my father when he passed away almost twenty years ago. I'm finally at a place in my life where I'm comfortable trying to get it running and driving again. I've got it fired up but the carb is being a real pain- I can't get the check balls for the vacuum secondaries to stay seated so it's flooding and running poorly. I've thrown a lot of time and money at this carb because I believed it to be original and correct. I noticed a few discrepancies recently that lead me to believe that this is actually a carb for a '56, in which case I'm better off just throwing this carb on a shelf and getting a remanufactured unit.
I should explain that this is a very early production Thunderbird, some time in the first two weeks of production according to my research. I've run into a number of reproduction parts that don't want to bolt right up due to the car being built with some pieces out of the '54 parts bin. This is why I was so determined to keep the carb, however I'm noticing that the vacuum choke on the '55 was mounted on the intake, and for '56 it was mounted directly to the carb. The carb on my car has no arm for the choke rod to attach to and actually has unused bolt holes that leak fuel where the vacuum choke would go. So anyhow, can anyone please tell me if my hypothesis is correct and my carb is in fact not correct for the car?

RPS is offline   Reply With Quote